C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting out up high

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Redfish74
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out up high

i have a 74 vette 350 and changed my point ignition to hei. It has been running just fine for about 4 months but all of the sudden anytime i get on it or and just crusing in higher mph like around 60 or so it cuts out real bad. I asked some friends and they thought it wasn't enough fuel. I thought my fuel pump might be going out so i changed that. I dont think it is the carb so now i am thinking i might not be getting enough spark. I changed to coil out with one of my friends and that didnt help either so now i'm stuck anyone got any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2003, 10:34 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Cutting out up high (Redfish74)

Cutting out is usually a sign of fuel starvation. Improper ignition timing can also cause this, if you have too much centrifigal advance.

Also, are you sure the secondaries are opening? Is your fuel filter doing the job?
Old 04-30-2003, 11:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Cutting out up high (Redfish74)

probably timing or vacuum advance not letting the car get to a higher timing after 60mph...causes hesitation and sometimes backfire, get that right and try going with a hotter spark plug..i'd say a 42. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting out up high

Quick Reply: Cutting out up high