C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken rear wheel stud

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 11:08 AM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broken rear wheel stud

I've had a broken rear wheel stud for awhile. This week I removed my rear diff and sent it out to get rebuilt. I then removed my halfshafts to replace the u joints(since I was in there). I noticed a castle nut behind the half shafts. I was wondering if it was possible to unbolt the castle nut and pull the spindle out to replace the rear wheel studs. I didn't know if a) it was possible or b)you need any special tools to get it in or out.
Just thought I'd ask because I definitly don't want to screw up my rear wheel bearings.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:41 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: broken rear wheel stud (TTop Tony)

Once you remove the castle nut the flange comes off easily but then the bearing behind that is pressed on very tight. This is a big problem, removing the bearing and the axle. I replaced all my studs with 3 inch by 1/2 on my rears without taking the axle out. I do NOT have backing plates so if you are just replacing the short wheel studs put the stud in the 9 oclock position on the drivers side and drive it out with a hammer. There might be enough room in this spot for removal/replacement. This is the possition I used for removing the stock studs and re installing the 3 inch new studs. On the passenger's side it would be the 3 oclock positon.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:46 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: broken rear wheel stud (norvalwilhelm)

Phew! I'm glad I didn't go that way. Thanks I kind of thought there would be more to it then that. I'll give the alternate method a try. I have backing plates but I wonder if they can be removed or not. I'll experiment when I get home.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:25 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: broken rear wheel stud (TTop Tony)

Tony, I believe you'll find you can't remove the backing plate without removing axel.............believe you'll find you may have to prior out the backing plate slightly to insert new wheel stud, but it should go in.
Phew! I'm glad I didn't go that way. Thanks I kind of thought there would be more to it then that. I'll give the alternate method a try. I have backing plates but I wonder if they can be removed or not. I'll experiment when I get home.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:30 PM
TTop Tony
Drifting

Default Re: broken rear wheel stud (john's '81 mouse)

Shoot I was afraid of that. Anyone know if the backing plate is really necessary? Sounds like a few of us have removed it. I don't guess it would harm anything to bend it slightly as long as its not touching any of the brake rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To broken rear wheel stud

Quick Reply: broken rear wheel stud