C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 09:12 AM
vette_c5c6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why

Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why

I have read tons of complaints regarding C3 breaks; I always thought all of these complaints were due to forum members not having a clue on how to perform a proper brake job. Having owned many new C3’s I never never had any brake problems. Well I think I solve you problems and NO it was not your fault and this is Why.

I was servicing my C5 at the GM dealer I noticed a mechanic was performing a brake job on a 2003 Van I also noticed that he was removing a new set of brake rotors from their GM boxes and proceed to install. I asked why the Van need a new set of rotors vs. machining the old set and to my surprise the answer was “ GM has instructed all of their dealers, that when servicing brakes under warranty the dealer must install NEW Rotors and NOT Machine the OLD regardless of thickness. GM did a study and found that 85% of the brake machines were in such poor repair that 85% of the dealers could NOT machine a True (straight) Rotor. So you can imagine the state of the brake machines at our local garages. The machined rotors were basically useless. Good luck on your next brake Job.

Old 04-25-2003, 09:22 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why (vette_c5c6)

It's not surprising.....but having said that.....I never turn rotors....all I have ever done is sandpaper the surfact a bit, if that.....same for brake drums....

GENE
Old 04-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

thanks for the report. But, IMO new cars have lightweight rotors that when turned warp too easily and result in customer complaints. Brake shops(not GM dealers) better have good equipment or they will soon be out of business. By contrast many GM dealers are happy to have you come back over and over since they get warranty payments. Glad GM stopped this with rotors.
there is a wide variety of c3 brake problems, many not related to non-true rotors.
One huge problem is many aftermarket wheels hit the caliper and can't be used. :cry

[Modified by Matt Gruber, 1:29 PM 4/25/2003]
Old 04-25-2003, 01:32 PM
rreavis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chronic Brake problems Here?s Why (mrvette)

It's not surprising.....but having said that.....I never turn rotors....all I have ever done is sandpaper the surfact a bit, if that.....same for brake drums....

GENE
I never turn rotors either but have always seen that the doc included with replacement rotors recommend that even new rotors be turned before installing.. I guess that I have been lucky.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:50 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

This is very interesting. I have often wondered about 'cut' rotors. if they warped at their original thickness, cuting them can't possibly make them better. It just doesn't make sense. My company car, a 2000 dodge caravan had real trouble with the brakes after the rotors were cut, they simply wouldn't stay true no matter what I did. Finally had to get two new rotors to fix the problem. I'm sure you have some of the answer here to the continued problems with the 4 piston calipers! :iagree:

Get notified of new replies

To Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why

Quick Reply: Chronic Brake problems Here’s Why