C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shes been sitting, now what

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Gotta Fix my '76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shes been sitting, now what

Ok someone please help me with some tips.

She hasn't really run since November because I've been restoring the interior. Well, I'm ready to drive her and she won't start. Gotta full battery and mostly full gas tank. She Cranks (starter working, fan barely moves) but won't turn over.
So I've put starter fluid into carburator and it still won't crank. Any suggestions??

My Spark plugs are practically brand new if that would be a suggestion. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~Ian
Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Default Re: Shes been sitting, now what (Gotta Fix my '76)

An engine needs a few essentials to come to life. You say your battery is new
and you have gas in the tank..these are two of the essentials. You need to check and make sure there is fuel getting to the carb and your New Plugs are getting current to make them spark. Look in to the carb and pump the linkage a couple of times. Can you see/smell gas? Pull out one of your plugs and lay it attached to the wire somewhere out of the way on a solid ground. Have a buddy turn the car over for a couple of seconds and watch the plug. You should see a fairly strong/regular blue spark jumping the gap. If you do, this is good and you should have spark to the rest of the plugs. If no spark, check the leads at the distributor for a solid connection/bad module/weak coil/broken leads/broken rotor/cap/..Have you had the ditributor out of the car? If so, it maybe 180 degrees out. It's a process of elimination..Once you're sure you have gas and spark where they should be, that's half the battle and the engine should run. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck :thumbs:

[Modified by WhyFly, 12:23 PM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 02:07 PM
arrio76
Instructor

Default Re: Shes been sitting, now what (Gotta Fix my '76)

My 76 was sitting for the winter too, 4-5 months. I recharged the battery because it was low. I had to pump the heck out of the dedal to get it to fire. 4 or 5 start attempts and it caught and started. If you have nearly gone through the capacity of the battery trying to start the car, then I might check for these two things,
Look into the carb as you rotate the throttle arm to ensure that you see fuel being squirted into the carb. this will confirm that you have fuel and the pump is working.
Having seen the fuel squirt, check for ingnition spark.
Pull one of the plugs and lay it against a good ground with the plug wire attatched. Have an assistant turn the motor over and observe for spark. If no spark, then check back through the ignition system to locate the problem. Cap, rotor, coil etc.

good luck.

[Modified by arrio76, 1:10 PM 4/19/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Shes been sitting, now what

Quick Reply: Shes been sitting, now what