C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Emissions Questions

Old 04-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 78 Emissions Questions

I bought my 78 a couple years ago up in Alaska where I grew up. It didn't have any of the emissions equipment on it at the time, which suited me just fine.

Unfortunately, I am graduating from college in a few weeks and will be stuck in California for at least a year as my soon-to-be (56 days) wife finishes school. Is there any cost-effective way to make my 78 emissions legal? It has a new carb and true dual exhaust. At least the exhaust manifolds have been replaced, so they do not have the AIR connections on them. I do know that because it was not originally a California car, it onyl has to conform to the federal standard for 78, but my understanding is that it still has to have all of the original equipment...

Does anyone have any great ideas? I don't really want to be short my Vette for another year (I could not afford to drive it while going to school).

Berserker
Old 04-18-2003, 07:24 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 78 Emissions Questions (Berserker78)

You will have to get rid of the duals and run a factory exhaust - you will need the original emissions equipment, which would include at the least - EFE - EGR - PCV - Thermac(air cleaner) you may or may not need the AIR system depending on if it was origianlly equipped with such (my L-82 was). There is an emissions sticker under the hood above the master cylinder that will explain what the car was equipped with.

If you need manifolds and air rails - I've got a complete set I'll give a newly graduated student (for the mere cost of shipping as Cast Iron aint light) but you would be best to find out if you need them first.

Can you keep the car registered in alaska - that would be the best thing - if you have family there, make that your address - that would be by far the best thing you could do.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 78 Emissions Questions (fauxrs)

It did originally have an AIR pump according to the sticker.

I think the PCV is there. It goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner, correct? I have never been able to figure out the difference between the EFE and the EGR. They look the same in the pictures from Ecklers.

Finally, is there some kind of aftermarket air cleaner that I could put on it? the one that it there is not correct, but I have not been able to find a replacement for it.

Thank you greatly for the info. I am interested in those manifolds if you are still willing. Would it be possible to just pick them up? The school I am at (I actually graduate on May 10) is in Santa Clarita, which is only a couple hours away from San Diego.

If you are willing, you can email me at redmondjt@masters.edu

Thank You,
Jason Redmond
Old 04-18-2003, 11:52 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

It did originally have an AIR pump according to the sticker.

I think the PCV is there. It goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner, correct? I have never been able to figure out the difference between the EFE and the EGR. They look the same in the pictures from Ecklers.

Finally, is there some kind of aftermarket air cleaner that I could put on it? the one that it there is not correct, but I have not been able to find a replacement for it.

Thank you greatly for the info. I am interested in those manifolds if you are still willing. Would it be possible to just pick them up? The school I am at (I actually graduate on May 10) is in Santa Clarita, which is only a couple hours away from San Diego.

If you are willing, you can email me at redmondjt@masters.edu

Thank You,
Jason Redmond
PCV is in drivers valve cover and goes to carb - there should be a filtered air inlet on the other valve cover - it usually is a small filter inside the air cleaner assembly - often replaced with a push in type.

EFE mounts to the exhaust manifold on the Passneger side and operates a butterfly valve in the exhaust system.

EGR mounts above it - on the intake manifold behind the choke and mixes exhaust gasses with your intake charge.

I dont know of a "legal" aftermarket air cleaner that will fit however any boneyard Thermac air cleaner will do the job long enough to pass smog.

If you want to make the trip, I certainly wont argue, you are more than welcome to come down and pick these guys up. Just send me an IM or e-mail with your schedule so I can make sure I am around. I'll give you directions then.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:02 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Does the under hood label tell you it is a Federal vehicle?
Old 04-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 78 Emissions Questions (SanDiegoPaul)

Does the under hood label tell you it is a Federal vehicle?
Yes it is a federal vehicle, but it also shows that it had an AIR pump. What I have heard, but have no way of verifying, is that the early 78s (mine was from july 77) had AIR pumps, but the later ones did not.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:07 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

What I have heard, but have no way of verifying, is that the early 78s (mine was from july 77) had AIR pumps, but the later ones did not.
I am always amazed, but shouldn't be, regarding the misinformation out there about emission systems and I've been victim to same!

But there is no differentiation between early and late regarding A.I.R. in 78. If your engine suffix is CHW, CLR, CLS, CMR OR CMS in 1978 your car was equipped with A.I.R. The emissions sticker certifies all emission systems equipped on a particular vehicle...and is your best indicator of what came on the car as you've indicated.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:26 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Jason,
The EFE valve is yellow and the EGR purple. The easiest solution would seem to be to stay plated with Alaska for one year. In a sense you are simply visiting California so this might be acceptable. Military people must run into this situation all the time as they are posted from place to place.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 78 Emissions Questions (fauxrs)

If you want to make the trip, I certainly wont argue, you are more than welcome to come down and pick these guys up. Just send me an IM or e-mail with your schedule so I can make sure I am around. I'll give you directions then.
You have mail
Old 04-20-2003, 11:10 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

as do you

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Emissions Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 78 Emissions Questions