C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 11:21 AM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs...

In the 12 years I've owned my '80, I've tried two different "Performance Q-Jet builders" (The Carb Shop, and Jet Performance). Long story short, I don't ever want to have anything to do with "rebuilt" carbs again. For one, the quality was not there, and secondly, if I give you every ounce of background on the engine, trans, rear gear ratio, altitude, intended use etc, don't you think you could at least get the setup in the ballpark?

With that in mind, I decided to check out Edelbrock's Q-Jets. Sticker shock! I wasn't prepared to see a price in the $450.00 +- range. Hmmm... maybe I'll luck out and find one on eBay. Strike two! Last night's search showed me dozens of people selling their AFB-type carbs, but only one Edelbrock Q-Jet (the 1901, which was made for older cars than mine).

Now the questions:
1) Anyone out there running the Edelbrock 1904 on a ZZ4? Like it? Any recommended mods?
2) Is it possible to get this carb for a far more reasonable price? (my source was Jeg's, where I usually get good deals).

I really don't want a Holley or Demon, and I doubt Lars works on carbs anymore (this is my daily driver now, so that would be impractical anyway).

OK. I'm done. :rant:
Old 04-14-2003, 11:27 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (PartTimeGenius)

It's OK...honest...easy does it...we'll fix you up right!

Option 1: Remanufactured Edelbrock QJets. These are almost-new warranty return units that Edelbrock checks and repairs as needed (with new parts). I have one and it's great. Available from Summit, Scoggin-Dickey, and perhaps Jegs. I paid under 300 bucks for mine.

Option 2: Lars rebuild, and a Lars loaner carb until he finishes the job. I think he still does it, and the loaner should help prevent downtime!

See, I told you that was easy! :yesnod:
Old 04-14-2003, 11:38 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (PartTimeGenius)

I'[m not a big fan of Q-Jets after my experience with my original and also a brand new GM carb. I just installed a new Edelbrock Thunder Series Air Valve Secondary 650 cfm carb on my 74 and i couldn't be happier. Ran great right out of the box and hasn't missed a beat in the month that I've had it on. The Thunder series is just a regular performer with an adjustable secondary valve. You could just go with a regular Performer carb and get the same thing minus the adjustable secondary. I too didn't want a demon or holley for a lot of reasons not the least is that I've heard about a lot of problems with leaks if you don't get them back together just right. I haven't heard a lot of bad things about the Edelbrock other than they don't make as much ultimate horsepower as a holley or demon. I'll trade a few horsepower for reliability any day. Just my $.02.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:45 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I'm running an Edelbrock Performer, with an electric choke, and I kind of like it. I've read what Lars has to say about the inherent value of a Q-jet, and I believe him. The Edelbrock flat out sucks up fuel. I can almost watch the gauge move while the car idles. The Q-jet was actually pretty efficient.

The downside of the Q-jet, as you've already found out, is it's difficult to set up correctly. I found it to be easy to take apart and put back together. But when it comes to the finer points, like setting up the float, I was lost. So the carb dumped fuel.

If I were in your spot, I'd pass on the Performer and see if you can get Lars to rebuild yours. The Edelbrock is easy install and adjust, will run like a champ out of the box, and is reliable. But the Q-jet is a better carb, in that it nails the finer points.

my $.02

Good luck with it.

:cheers:
Old 04-14-2003, 09:00 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (joeveto)

the Edelbrock Carter AFB is a nice carb as well.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:35 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (joeveto)

I'm running an Edelbrock Performer, with an electric choke, and I kind of like it. I've read what Lars has to say about the inherent value of a Q-jet, and I believe him. The Edelbrock flat out sucks up fuel. I can almost watch the gauge move while the car idles. The Q-jet was actually pretty efficient.

The downside of the Q-jet, as you've already found out, is it's difficult to set up correctly. I found it to be easy to take apart and put back together. But when it comes to the finer points, like setting up the float, I was lost. So the carb dumped fuel.

If I were in your spot, I'd pass on the Performer and see if you can get Lars to rebuild yours. The Edelbrock is easy install and adjust, will run like a champ out of the box, and is reliable. But the Q-jet is a better carb, in that it nails the finer points.

my $.02

Good luck with it.

I appreciate your input on this. It may not have been clear from my long and rambling post, but I intend on staying with a Q-jet; it was just the price of the new Edelbrock versions that was the deterrent. The 1904 I referred to in the first question is the Edelbrock QJet w/ electric choke. It seems to be the closest match for my car.

And, despite my best efforts to get him to move to the perpetually sunny climes of Texas, Lars seems to be content in his Colorado hide-away.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (page62)

Option 1: Remanufactured Edelbrock QJets. These are almost-new warranty return units that Edelbrock checks and repairs as needed (with new parts). I have one and it's great. Available from Summit, Scoggin-Dickey, and perhaps Jegs. I paid under 300 bucks for mine.

Thanks for draggin' me back from the edge of the cliff. This car frustrates the @#$%& out of me. It's living proof that money massages don't always yield the best results. I checked with Summitt, and they've got the re-mf'ed carb for $357.00 - a $100.00 savings over new.

Option 2: Lars rebuild, and a Lars loaner carb until he finishes the job. I think he still does it, and the loaner should help prevent downtime!

I was under the impression that Lars had taken himself out of the carb rebuild business so he could work on some of his own projects (how selfish can ya get?) :D

I bow to the wisdom of the gentleman from Houston :cheers:
Old 04-14-2003, 10:48 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (page62)

Thanks for draggin' me back from the edge of the cliff. This car frustrates the @#$%& out of me. It's living proof that money massages don't always yield the best results. I checked with Summitt, and they've got the re-mf'ed carb for $357.00 - a $100.00 savings over new.

I was under the impression that Lars had taken himself out of the carb rebuild business so he could work on some of his own projects (how selfish can ya get?) :D

I bow to the wisdom of a fellow Texan :cheers:
Old 04-15-2003, 12:15 PM
kenr57
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (vettfixr)

Vettfixr:

I too am having trouble with my 74 L82 Q-Jet. I had original rebuilt by ex-GM carb mechanic who supposedly knew his stuff. Unsatisfactory!!! I next tried a rebuilt Q-Jet rebuilt by Holley. Still unsatisfactory. Both units would start ok, but then immediately lose RPMs like it was starving for gas. After a 30 seconds of pumping the pedal to keep it running, it smooths out and runs great. Fuel pump has been replace.

I am interested in going to the Edelbrock as long as I can connect all of the vacuum lines as in the original Q-Jet setup. Any thoughts?

Ken
Old 04-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Apeiron
Advanced

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (vettfixr)

The Thunder series is just a regular performer with an adjustable secondary valve.
The Thunder series is actually a copy of the old Carter AVS, just as the Performer is a copy of the Carter AFB.

[Modified by Apeiron, 11:29 AM 4/15/2003]
Old 04-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

1) Anyone out there running the Edelbrock 1904 on a ZZ4? Like it? Any recommended mods?
I am. I like it. You have to change out the secondary rods to "AH". They also require special mount bolts ... The front & rear bolts are different. GM part number is 17066422 for the carb. I haven't had to mess with since the original set up.

2) Is it possible to get this carb for a far more reasonable price? (my source was Jeg's, where I usually get good deals).
I dunno... I bought mine from my local GM dealer when the ZZ4 went in in early 1999. I just looked at the invoice and it cost me $486.00. Sounds like you already found a much better price than I had.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:55 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a 1904 sitting on the bench now,but I ran it for 8 years without a problem on the 355.(Except the electric choke quit.)Got 17 mpg's,and could handle the 355.When I went to the 406,again same carb,now with 120,000 miles and never been rebuilt,I experienced fuel starvation at the top end.Hence the 3310 I now run.
I have to admit the Q-Jet idled better,and pulled off the line better,but the Holley doesn't run out of gas on the top.(6500rpms witrh a 406 must suck a ton of gas.)

[Modified by The Money Pit, 7:58 PM 4/15/2003]
Old 04-15-2003, 03:48 PM
GR8T WYT
Instructor

Default Re: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs... (kenr57)

The Edelbrock 1400, 600 CFM emissions legal carb. Should have all you need to set up as Q-jet. I have had Edelbrocks on at least 4 cars and it performed great. I have one on my 77 with a 1 inch, 4 hole spacer and it runs like a scalded cat right out of the box. These are great carbs. Everything GM put on emissions cars are a compromise, clean air and fuel efficient does not equal max power or any power for that matter. Don't knock Edelbrocks until you've tried one. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs...

Quick Reply: Long rambling thoughts and questions on Edelbrock carbs...