C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has nice air cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:06 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default who has nice air cleaners

alright guys, i got the K&N 7/8" drop base air cleaner for my 74. i got a low rise intake and a speed demon vac. secondary carb. i don't have the hood on yet...but do you think i'll have clearance? also, anyone with some pics of some tricked out air cleaner assemblies or such? :seeya

[Modified by REDSHARKONBOYDS, 3:20 AM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Aaron76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (REDSHARKONBOYDS)

I just have a plain chrome but I did install an emblem on it.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Black Snowman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked the Edelbrock Pro-Flo

K&N X-Stream lids are now available anodized differant colors, a good option for both looks and performance IMHO.

And of course there are scores of ball-milled, flamed jobbed, and wierd shaped aluminum options from people like K&N and TD Performance.
http://www.tdperformance.com/ http://knfilters.com/

I've designed a combination shaker / ram-air scoop but I don't have the means to make one or it would already be on my Trans Am. If anyone is interested I suppose I could draw it up in CAD or just sketch it out. I took a while to work out the issues with water injestion and it added a lot of complexity but I think I've got a workable design now.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:50 AM
standup
Drifting

The Holley Hi Tek is pretty wild if you want a different late model look.....no pics of it but I've seen it in a members sig and the Holley website. You should definitely check it out if you're looking for a change. It's not the cheapest, but it isn't more expensive than a replacement LT1 drop base or stock dual snorkel.

As for your height issues, assuming the K&N is a 3 inch filter height, I'd say you should be right with a low intake and the stock 74 rear induction hood. From what I've read, your stock hood isn't much smaller than an L-88 hood.

BTW....you should post some profile pics of your Boyds....I can barely see them with your current pic :thumbs:
Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Here's my current setup. Much like you describe, GM drop base(LT-1/L-88 type) 3 inch filter & standard chrome top.

Here's the Weiand free flow air cleaner. This did not fit under the stock SB hood. This type will cause further hood clearance issues since it sits another 1/4-3/8 inch higher than the carb. I used this one with my L-88 hood and no air chamber.

Here's the L-88 air cleaner assembly which should only be used with the L-88 hood & functioning air box.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Im runnin the factory air box with KN element and extreem lid. I had to mod the breather a bit to get it to clear the holley fuel line but it fits good and seals tight against the hood for the cowl induction effect it was designed for. I also blocked the snorkels to force all the air to come from the cowl. I removed the vacuum operated flap in the hood too. I know it dont look as good as a shiney crome breather. The looks factor is a non-issue for me since the functional cowl induction helps performance. Yur 74 should have the cowl hood as well. Click link for pic

http://members.aol.com/o942/engine1.jpg
Old 04-14-2003, 08:00 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Jvette73)

[Modified by SIGNGUY, 9:34 PM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Old 04-14-2003, 12:44 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

john, what kind of carb are you runnin? i'd love to use the stock air cleaner base, but i don't know what all fabrication or mods i'd have to do for it to fit my vacuum secondary dual feed speed demon. i like the fact that i can have function cowl induction for performance...but i think i'll get my base chromed. :D
70 stingray, i like your setup too..thats why i went with the drop base kn assembly..but my base doesn't seem to be as low as yours...would a gm lt-1 base fit on a vacuum secondary dual feed and clear the electric choke? looks good!
standup, i'm getting my digital camera back this week, and i'll have more pics of the motor and rims by the end of the week...i'll post them so look for em.
grooyjay and sign guy...i love the look of the edelbrock air cleaners, but i think you have the right valve covers to go with them..both of you got the look.

[Modified by REDSHARKONBOYDS, 5:50 PM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Black Snowman)

That is one of the worse "air cleaners" every made. I only filters object bigger than gravel, the foam dries up and gets sucked into the carb passages, and one backfire and it catches fire like a Molotov cocktail.

Looks pretty, doesn't filter anything and is a torch waiting for a match.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

70 stingray, i like your setup too..thats why i went with the drop base kn assembly..but my base doesn't seem to be as low as yours...would a gm lt-1 base fit on a vacuum secondary dual feed and clear the electric choke? looks good!
I'd say the base I'm using is double yours. I'm going to steal a pic from Clink69's old post.

Don't know if it'd work with an electric choke, it does work with a manual choke though. Maybe Barry's70LT1 will check in. He's got an original LT-1----wonder if it has an electric choke.

Here's the rest of Clink's post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...&id=1543717749
Old 04-14-2003, 03:14 PM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (BSeery)

That is one of the worse "air cleaners" every made. I only filters object bigger than gravel, the foam dries up and gets sucked into the carb passages, and one backfire and it catches fire like a Molotov cocktail.

Looks pretty, doesn't filter anything and is a torch waiting for a match.

I'm sure you're right, but it's the only thing I could get my hands on that would clear the hood for now. I'll probably try to find a drop base that will work. I do like the look of this one though. Too bad they don't make a better element for it. This is on a Gen. VI BB with a 70-71 low rise LS6 intake and a Holley 080508S-3310 carb. 1/4" phenolic spacer. Clears the hood by about 3/4". Good luck!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (ORVette)

Hmm, racing Shelby Cobras used the same mesh set up. (w/o the element though)
Old 04-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (garagedweller2)

I kind of like mine :)

Old 04-14-2003, 04:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Twin_Turbo)

Big bad 9 inch :D

Old 04-14-2003, 08:14 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In the first picture you can see my air cleaner which is a Transdap drop base 14 inch on my old carb and manifold. It ball milled and chrome, not polished alumionum. The sig pic is the new polished Professional products manifold (Edelbrock 2101 knockoff) with the new Edelbrock carb. I had to use a 1/2 inch air cleaner riser on the carb to clear the electric choke and the air cleaner just clears the hood. When I used the 1 inch riser it rubbed against the hood so I dropped back to the 1/2 inch.

[Modified by vettfixr, 8:16 PM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (BSeery)

BSeery, I agree with you that the edl pro flo is junk and so is its weiand partner. not only is it a hasard of dropping foam into the engine, it also doesnt flow that good. I used one of these on a 350 olds and it seemed to work fine. Then I went to a 455 olds and that motor was hungry for air. With that breather the 455 would stop pulling 500rpm short of the redline of 6200rpm. I chased the problem untill someone told me to switch to a standard style breather with a paper element. When I did that the problem ceased and the motor would pull to redline and beyond.

REDSHARKONBOYDS, im usin a Holley 600(list 1850). When I planned my mods the idea from the beginning was to retain the functional cowl induction. To do that I selected the old style Edl performer intake since it was same height as stock. At first i was plannin to stick with the Q-jet and there was no problem with using the stock breather and upper seal ring. I had some problems with the Q-jet and got frustrated and bought the new Holley. I measured the height of the Holley first and found it to be very close so I figured Ide have no problems. WRONG!! The factory breather would not sit down flush cause the fuel line inlet, choke housing, and vac sec diaphram wouldnt clear. So i added a spacer between the carb and breather to lift it up then the base fit. I still did not have the top ring with seal installed. it needed to be lowered the same amount as the spacer had lifted the base. So I trimmed the top ring into two pieces leaving the upper portion as a flat ring. I re-attached that part to the base with L brackets and pop rivots then sealed the gap with RTV. It seals tight now and all air must come from cowl. I can take pics of what I did to show you. If you want then let me know. Remember im using a stock height manifold. If you have a highrise intake then you would run into other issues different then what I delt with.

Get notified of new replies

To who has nice air cleaners

Old 04-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Cor6996vette
Racer

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (standup)

Holley Hi Tek under 69vert.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:54 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

I'm stuck in the past... i love moon eyes stuff!
http://66.216.94.142/subcatmfgprod.a...1=322&2=-1&6=1

:party:
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

John, that would be great! i'd love to use the stock air assembly....i'll do whatever mods i need to. thanks, Herb

Quick Reply: who has nice air cleaners