C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has nice air cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Weird Science
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (BSeery)

That is one of the worse "air cleaners" every made. I only filters object bigger than gravel, the foam dries up and gets sucked into the carb passages, and one backfire and it catches fire like a Molotov cocktail.

Looks pretty, doesn't filter anything and is a torch waiting for a match.
I agree. Had a buddy almost lose a Chevelle when that same filter went up in flames. Looks good but I woudln't run it.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Weird Science
Instructor

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (myisa69)

Holley Hi Tek under 69vert.
I love that filter. How does it compare in terms of hood-clearance to the drop-base filters many others are using? Could you get away with that with a Performer-RPM manifold and stock hood?

Old 04-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (REDSHARKONBOYDS)

Herb, with respect to you being able to use your stock air cleaner assembly and make the cowl induction functional, I first have two question for you. Have you tried to put the breather onto the carb yet to see if it will fit flush and not intefere with linkage, fuel lines, secondary diaphram...ect? Also, what exact intake manifold are you using and is it a high rise? Note. there are many types of manifolds from the same makers so you need to be specific as to exactly which one you have. IE: EDL Performer, EDL Performer RPM. EDL Performer RPM Airgap....and so on. Each one will have different dimentions of carb height. I use the original Preformer #2101 which is same height as stock cast iron manifold so I did not have to compensate for any difference in manifold height. I only had to compensate for the spacer needed to lift the breather so it would clear carb suroundings like the diaphram and fuel line location. I needed 3/4" riser to lift the breather. So thats was all I had to account for up top was 3/4", and I can explain in detail how I did that. However, if you find you need to compensate for both carb clearence and manifold height differences im not sure how to go about that since it wasnt my situation. I do know that dropping the top ring 3/4" to compensate for the breather to carb spacer is within the realm of possibility. But for instance, if you need to do that, plus compensate for a 1" higher intake im not sure how to go about that one. Ive seen others on the forum that use high rise hoods and fabricate cold air boxes to get the cowl induction effect. So far in my expierence, if you want to do this with a stock hood, you need to stay with a stock height intake manifold from the start. This was the main reason I elected the old style Performer manifold. Im not cashin out on you yet. Just need to know more info on what yur workin with.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Herb, here are some links to pics of my breather mods:
the first one is of the spacer needed to lift the breather to clear carb accesories. It was a 1" spacer that was trimmed to 3/4"
http://members.aol.com/o942/spacer.jpg

As you know the stock cowl breather is made up of two pieces, the base that holds the filter and a top ring that hoilds the hood seal. This nest pic is the portion od the top ring that was cut off to make the top ring a "flat" ring. Youll see the portion between my fingers is about the same 3/4" as the spacer used on carb.
http://members.aol.com/o942/topring.jpg

The next pic shows how I attached the top ring to the base breather making it on piece. You can see the L brackets and pop riviots and the sealer I used to seal the gap. Sloppy job of coarse but it doesnt show when installed on car. I attached this top ring so it sits flush with the top of the base breather.
http://members.aol.com/o942/Lbrackets.jpg

The last pic shows the snorkel and pcv connection blocked with sheet metal and glued on with silicone. You can also see the pop riviots showing thru from the brackets on the other side.
http://members.aol.com/o942/blockoff.jpg

I also removed the vacuum operated flap in the hood to prevent restriction.

Be carefull when closing hood during fitting process. Never know when you have enough clearence or not. When done I used some clay molded into a cone shapes and set them on various portions of breather to measure the clearences I was left with. Close the hood down and it mashes the clay. Lift the hood and see how thick it is. Thats the room between the hood and breather. Hope this helps you some with general ideas, but again, yur pieces may have different dimentions than mine.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Jvette73)

I like the "Classic" Muscle Car look.

[Modified by Stewart's74, 12:37 PM 4/17/2003]
Old 04-18-2003, 04:17 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Black Snowman)

OK, I admit I have the Edelbrock Pro-flo. Bought it strickly for the looks. The last few days the car has been bogging and it seemed carb related. So, while I'm at it I wanted to check to see if the guys were right about the foam filter getting burned and crispy. ABSOLUTELY. There were drips of melted foam all over the metal rack under the foam AND I found one of the plastic button type tabs in the throat of my carb!! Bogging problem fixed. Now for a new air cleaner. I wouldn't pay somebody to take that POS. I guess I figured if it said Edelbrock it must be alright. Lesson learned. :mad
Old 04-18-2003, 04:27 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Jvette73)

John, thanks for the info and the detailed pics! i'm working on a few mods right now to make it fit, but i don't have the hood on the car yet..this weekend i will. i do have a low rise intake like yours, so i hope all goes well..i will post some pics of the motor with no air cleaner yet :p: this evening. so keep on the look out. thanks for all your help.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:50 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

here is mine
Old 04-18-2003, 11:44 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: who has nice air cleaners (Stephen DeFazio)

Nice top Stephen...i will eventually have to break down and get one of those xtreme air lids....do you really notice any performance benefits from it??
Old 04-19-2003, 12:04 AM
454Can-Am
Racer

Holley Hi-Tek is my choice --- got mine on e-bay for half price !!! :chevy
Old 04-19-2003, 06:05 AM
Todd Mabry
Instructor

K&N :D

[Modified by Todd Mabry, 6:06 AM 4/19/2003]

[Modified by Todd Mabry, 6:07 AM 4/19/2003]
Old 04-19-2003, 10:14 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice top Stephen...i will eventually have to break down and get one of those xtreme air lids....do you really notice any performance benefits from it??
Red shark I went from a 3" paper air cleaner with a chrome lid to what you see. I have no dyno proof that it is better but I think it is better. I do think it has a cool factor. One day I will open up the reverse air scoop so I can draw air off the bottom of the windshield.

[Modified by Stephen DeFazio, 9:15 PM 4/19/2003]

Quick Reply: who has nice air cleaners