C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:48 PM
twoinchgroup52
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question.

I posted this question on the Zaino thread but I guess that topic was played to its completion.
Question is:
Is it necessary or even desirable to clay bar an essentially "new" 82 CE (only 3700 original miles) with excellent paint or would I get the much raved about results by washing and then using the Zaino #2 over the Zaino pre-polish?
Thanks,
Twoinchgroup
Old 04-09-2003, 07:52 PM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (twoinchgroup52)

i try-ed clay bar on my paint it did not help th was already glass smooth
before
Old 04-09-2003, 08:07 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (twoinchgroup52)

Use the clay bar, then Zaino or whatever glaze you want.

Larry
Old 04-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm not a proponent of any new fangled crap....BUT, I'm always open to new ideas. :D I first tried a clay bar about 2 years ago and couldn't believe that a piece of clay could remove all that grit.

I ran my hand over the surface before I used the clay bar and it felt pretty smooth. After I used the clay bar the difference was very noticable. The clay bar might not have made my paint any brighter but it certainly removed the grit and left the surface very, very smooth. After all these years of waxes & polishes, I couldn't believe how smooth the surface had become. I can now run my fingers over the finish to tell when it's time to "clay" again. Today I clay all my cars before waxing. :yesnod: :thumbs:
Old 04-09-2003, 08:25 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

:iagree:
Old 04-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I had first heard of this from a local Auto Spa when I wanted them to use Maguires wax on my Maxima. The kid told me I should do the clay, I asked what that meant, so he used the clay on a small area on the hood to demonstrate how great it was. I thought the regular wax would do the same thing so I said no thanks.

After they were done with the regular wax job I felt that spot on the hood, I was amazed at how much smoother it was than the rest of the car.

I am now a believer! I wouldn't have thought something that is completely non abrasive could be so effective:)

My Vette has less than perfect paint, but the Clay even made it look significantly better!

~Jay
Old 04-09-2003, 10:01 PM
bn7035
Racer

I first clayed my vette about three years ago after hearing about Zaino and I followed the instructions. I was a little skeptical and concerned about the process. I thought I had the car very clean and the paint smooth. I clayed the car and could not believe how much stuff the clay pulled out of the paint. The problem I have now is that I can not set anything on the car without it sliding off. I highly recommend it and even did it on my new 2003 truck. I might not do it on a daily driven vehicle but I will clay my vette every spring.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:13 PM
fishman
Heel & Toe

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (bn7035)

I made the decision last year to install a spray-on foam roof over the existing roof of the Mill. It was leaking in some areas pretty bad. Out of 100 cars the foam overspray was on 75 of them. The foam installer came in and clayed all of the cars and it was the best that most of them looked in years. I am a firm believer.

:yesnod:
Old 04-09-2003, 10:21 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (1970 Stingray)

Today I clay all my cars before waxing.

So what is the process???? :hat

Does it take as long or longer than a good wax?? :hat
Old 04-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Touringpro
Racer

Default Re: (SanDiegoPaul)

So what is the process???? :hat

Does it take as long or longer than a good wax?? :hat
The claybar - which really is clay and looks a bit like Play Doh (sic) - works basically like an eraser. :D The surface is kept lubricated with a car wash soap/water mix, spray detailer or similar; and the clay is very lightly passed over the finish. As it travels, embedded contaminents, brake and rail dust, industrial fallout, paint overspray, road tar, bug guts, etc. are pulled out of the paint and adhere to the clay.

I use it a couple times a year on all my vehicles. In fact I've simplified the procedure: when I wash the car, I have the mitt in one hand and the clay in the other. Wash an area and immediately clay it. Takes hardly any time at all. About the only 'instructions' I can think of would be:

- Make sure the surface is cool. the clay can and will stick otherwise.
- GLIDE the clay over the surface, you don't need to press hard.
- Fold and knead the bar often to expose clean clay.
- If you drop it on the ground, throw it away.

HTH :cheers:
Old 04-10-2003, 01:59 AM
OneHotV6
Instructor

Default Re: (Touringpro)

I recommend the clay bar also... I had to use it when my neighbor who lives across the street from me used to paint cars in his garage. One day him and his buddies were painting with the door open and the overspray somehow drifted across the road and onto my freshly waxed GN!!! I noticed later on that day and went out and bought the clay bar. Lifted out the overspray like it was dust... does require a little elbow grease though.

The next day they saw me out there for hours doing this and never painted there again...

Overall, I give it a big :thumbs:

[Modified by OneHotV6, 2:01 AM 4/10/2003]
Old 04-10-2003, 06:50 AM
cookin1979
Advanced

Clay bar it! It's very easy and you won't disappointed!! :hurray:
Old 04-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Todd Mabry
Instructor

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (cookin1979)

Where can you find a clay bar?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (Todd Mabry)

Where can you find a clay bar?
:withstupid: Where do we get these magical clay bars? :p:
Old 04-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (Mystery Machine)

Any auto parts store, Target, Walmart, etc. Very common.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM
WoodchuckH2
Advanced

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (Bobchad)

I saw a clay bar kit by Maquires at O'Rielly's yesterday and almost picked it up, about $13.00 for the kit and now I have to go get it, thanks guys, another "must have" for a run-a-way project !!!
Old 04-10-2003, 11:55 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,520 Likes on 788 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just clay barred my '78 this past weekend. I too am usually skeptical, but this works! I have never had a smoother finish on a car, and I had some rough spots on 25+ yr. old paint. Use plenty of lubricant (detailing spray). I washed my car with Dawn to strip the old wax, rinsed and without drying proceeded with the clay bar. Make sure when the bar gets dirty you stretch it out and fold over the dirty side so only new, clean bar is exposed. Use Zaino over it and you will have the slickest wettest finish ever......... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question.

Old 04-10-2003, 01:04 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (gliot1)

I strongly recommend Griot's Garage Clay Cleaner

First, it's the same price as Meguir's and it works better. I think it's less expensive than Zaino, and it works, from what I've heard, the same or better.

It's amazing what the clay bar will pick off of the paint that even aggressive polishing compounds with a random orbital polisher won't pick up. Spray a little Speed Shine (or instant detailer of any kind) down and start claying away, if your car has ever been outside without a very good coat of wax, the clay will pick up all types of sap, bird-doo residue, tar, bug carcassas and pollen that adheres to the paint and literally won't come off with car wash, polish or wax.

Rub your hand on your car...if you can feel anything other than a silky-smooth surface, use a clay bar to pick off all the things that cause your hand to drag...any bumps or sandpaper feel.

Anytime I get a new car, I always use the claybar to get the paint ultra smooth before polish and then wax. Then I'll clay the car once or twice a year.

Again, http://www.griotsgarage.com ... I know everyone here loves Zaino, but Zaino is expensive and has never been favored by Pebble Beach Concours participants, whereas Griots has.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 204 Likes on 128 Posts

I've clayed 2 of my 3 cars. You can really feel the difference before and after. I doesn't take much elbow grease to do, and I feel it is worth the effort and expense.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:27 PM
WoodchuckH2
Advanced

Default Re: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question. (Electron Blue '02)

Ok, I'm sold. Picked up a clay bar, only had time to do the drivers side, followed with a coat of wax and you can see as well as feel the difference. Took it down to the local gas station for an emmisions test and there were five guys standing around admiring the paint, I told them about "claying" the drivers side and they were all amazed at how different the side felt from the hood, and I had just waxed the hood two weeks ago. Its hard to believe how much stuff came off the car and it only takes a minute, the entire car could be done in less than 20 minutes. Gotta love it.

Quick Reply: To clay bar or not to clay bar, that is the question.