C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riveted-On Intake Baffle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 PM
DougsL89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riveted-On Intake Baffle

My intake has a riveted-on baffle on the underside of it. Can a manifold be glass-beaded with this still in place? I am afraid of the glass bead media getting trapped in it and subsequently contaminating my engine. Has anyone removed their baffle? If so, how did you reattach it? Drill and tap the rivet holes?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:09 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Riveted-On Intake Baffle (DougsL89)

I'd remove the baffle. Just use plyers to twist the pins out. Then tap the hole and use a lock washer and loctite on the bolt/screw.

Terry
Old 03-31-2003, 07:08 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You should remove the baffle or sand will find it's way underneath it. When you reinstall it the sand will work it's way out and into your engine. Not a good thing. Just remove the rivets carefully and then reinstall with locktite when the sandblasting is done.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:13 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I drilled and tapped mine as was suggested. Still hanging on after 2 years.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Riveted-On Intake Baffle

My intake has a riveted-on baffle on the underside of it. Can a manifold be glass-beaded with this still in place? I am afraid of the glass bead media getting trapped in it and subsequently contaminating my engine.
Doug,

I would highly advise removing the shield underneath the manifold prior to any restoration effort. You would be amazed at the amound of garbage that collects in there... Not the type of material that I'd want floating around an engine.

Bead blasting is an excellent solution for cleaning a cast iron manifold, but you may want to reconsider this option if you have an aluminum manifold. While it will clean the surface of the manifold, it also changes the appearance and texture of the aluminum. If you intend to show the car in NCRS or Bloomington Gold events, I'd definitely stay away from bead blasting.

Has anyone removed their baffle? If so, how did you reattach it? Drill and tap the rivet holes?
The baffle is pretty easy to remove... I usually work a small screwdriver under the edge of the baffle and work the rivet up until I can grab it with a pair of pliers. I wouldn't bother drilling and tapping the manifold... The process I outlined generally removes the rivets without damage and even if you do, replacement rivets are available from aftermarket sources.

If you have misgivings about the rivets working their way loose, you can always apply some high temperature epoxy to the ends before reinstalling them... That should most certainly keep them in place.

Good luck with your project!

Regards,
Old 04-01-2003, 06:35 PM
DougsL89
Advanced

Thanks guys! Stan - if glass-beading is out, what is the best way to restore an aluminum intake so it looks "factory new"? What methods do the restorers use?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This is bead-blasted and painted. The plate is secured with SS machine screws and LocTite. I have fixed the dent ;) .

Old 04-01-2003, 08:39 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Remove it for sure: someone had a post here a few months ago where they didn't remove it until after glass beading. It was loaded with beads!

edit: hey Paul - it was you, wasn't it?!

[Modified by Frank75, 7:41 PM 4/1/2003]
Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Riveted-On Intake Baffle

Doug,

I recently started using Jerry MacNeish's service... http://www.z28camaro.com Basically the manifolds are tumbled which is most likely the process that was used to "finish" them when they were new. In any case, the finished product is about perfect and should fly right through NCRS or Bloomington Gold judging without any problems.

I have experimented with several procedures in an effort to do the job myself... While one method I discovered proved to be adequate for some parts, the industrial tumbler that Jerry uses produces a superior finish on intake manifolds (as well as other parts).

Your forum name indicates that you might have an L-89 car... I'd love to hear about it if you get the opportunity.

Regards,
Old 04-02-2003, 10:01 AM
70vetteinpieces
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

what purpose does the baffle serve? Any problems if you don't replace it? I know aftermarket intakes don't have baffles.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Riveted-On Intake Baffle (70vetteinpieces)

the baffle is there to prevent oil from directly contacting the manifold in that area. That area is where the EGR feed from the head runs and it gets very hot. If oil contacts it it burns and becomes nice and cruspy. You do not want that to fall back into the engine and possible end up in a bearing or restrict an oil passage.

Get notified of new replies

To Riveted-On Intake Baffle

Quick Reply: Riveted-On Intake Baffle