C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:42 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor.

I know I have the timing set at No. 1 TDC because I have the timing chain cover off and replaced the chain and gears. The two (gear) index marks are lined up perfectly. However, I yanked the distributor (pulled the intake manifold) without removing the cap and marking the position of the rotor. Won't the rotor arm be pointing to the No 1 cylinder contact when the No 1 is TDC? I also yanked the plug wires without numbering them. I did mark the numbers on top of the distributor cap though. I know I can figure out the right plug wires to the correct cylinder through trial and error BUT, will I have trouble getting the distributor back in the correct position? As you can tell, I'm not a real engine guy yet and I'm just learning. Any recommendations or did I screw up really bad?

Thanks in advance,
Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-31-2003, 12:55 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (Rick Church)

Rick, spend $20 and buy "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy" at your nearest large book store. This has a fool proof step by step guide on distributor installation. I had never done this before and I have now used it for three different engines.
Gary
Old 03-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (Rick Church)

Been there done that, the thing that got me back on track were a couple of papaer that Lars published, they are located on this web site tools-tech tips-c3 and there is a paper on tdc and how to install the distributor.

I read them and they helped me figure it out.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:12 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because the timing marks line up doesn't mean the number one piston is at top dead center.
You can go ahead and put the front of the motor back together, install the intake and forget the distributor until last or at least just before the drivers valve cover goes on.
At this point slowly turn the motor over and watch the intake valve open then slowly close, when it is closed keep rotating the motor until the timing mark on the timming cover lines up . This is top dead center.
Now mark on the distributor body the position of # 1 plug, mark it on the body so you don't have to deal with the cap. Hold the distributor so the vacuum canister is lined how you would like it and align the rotor to point close to the # 1 marked on the distributor body. Try putting the distributor in.
It will not go because the oil pump is not ligned up. Remove the distributor and look how the slot is in the oil pump. use a long screw driver to turn the pump for alignment of the distributor. Also remember the distributor rotates as it meshes with the cam gear so where you start is not the way the rotor points when you are done. You might have to start the rotor quite a bit off and it will move into position.
The distributor rotates clockwise so to advance the timing the housing moves counter clockwise. The vacuum pot point the direction of rotation to advance.
If you try firing the engine and the starter has trouble turning it over the advance to tooo much and if the starter spins and the motor just seems to be trying you don't have enough.
Hope this helps and if you have questions ask again and I will try to explain more.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 12:17 PM 3/31/2003]
Old 03-31-2003, 01:13 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (GaryS)

I could completely have my head up my rectum, but I dont think it matters. As long as you're at TDC, you can install the distributor any way you want, then turn the base until electric contact is made and you're pointing at or near #1 on the cap. Then just set your timing, and you're ready to go.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:22 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (thejaf)

I don't follow that thejaf. Just dropping the distributor in, turning until you have electrical contact works if you don't care where #1 is. First you have to establish if the motor is really on $1 TDC then using your method you could say where ever the rotor is pointed that is what I will call # 1 for my case. Of cousre the marks on the cap will be totally out .
The firing order by the way 18436572. Clockwise from #1.Guys verify my firing order I work too much with fords at times.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:28 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (norvalwilhelm)

Norval:
Yes, you are correct the firing order is indeed 18436572. That is exactly how I installed my distributor whenever I have pulled my intake in the past.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (norvalwilhelm)

Norval is right on the button. :iagree: :iagree: Do it that way Rick, and your good to go... :steering: and go.. :auto: and go :auto: :steering:
Eddie
Old 03-31-2003, 03:45 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

If your sure you have #1 on TDC of the exhaust stroke and your gear marks are aligned you can put it all back together. When you drop in the distributor make sure the rotor is pointing toward #1 on the cap. When the distr. is fulled seated you can turn the base to correct any misalignment of rotor and #1 plug. Then attach your plug wires in the correct firing order starting with #1. I'm not sure and no offense, but just in case, the cylinders are numbered as 1,3,5,7 (driver side) and 2,4,6,8 (passenger) from front to back.

Since you were there you could have replaced the cam, lifters, and on, and on, and on. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2003, 04:04 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

With the dots together, your firing on 6. No. 1 is on overlap. Rotate 180 for no. 1 or leave it alone and set for no. 6 :thumbs: My keyboard is dead or I would supply more information. :cheers:
Old 03-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (wallyknoch)

If memory serves me right, with the dots lined up as most manuals describe, your actually at BDC not TDC. The cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock and the crank gear dot is at 12 o'clock. Rotate the crank 360 degrees to get to TDC. The dots on the gears will both be at 12 o'clock.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:49 PM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

:iagree:

Very often, you can't rely on the timing marks unless you are using aftermarket parts.
For example, an early 429/460 ford bb timed straight up will give you 0 degrees. The same engine in later years of production like mid seventies, with a factory or el-cheapo parts store timing set will give you 6-8 degrees of retarded timing. Cam and ignition mind you. This can be true even with name brand parts. And the SBC is no exception. So make sure the timing set holds no surprises for you.
So, bollocks to the timing gears. I'm with norvalwilhelm on this one. Timing is relative to camshaft and crankshaft events. So set it with the valve events on # 1 just before you button up the cover. You'll be fine.
and don't apologize for being a newbie. we all started somewhere. :thumbs:
kraven
Old 04-01-2003, 12:20 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Rick the posting that Tominator located is a "must have" for any shark owner. Yes its at TOOLS, then Tech Tips, then C3, and then How to Install Your Chevy Distributor. :iagree: Good pix too!
This technique is something you'll want to use several times and will help you to keep the mechanical tach cable off the firewall. And with some creativity you can locate/orientate the cap and wires any way you like as long as you maintain the firing order.
That posting and another by lars called Distributor Vacuum Advance Control Units are outstanding - and valuable to us shark owners.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:36 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (midwest-vette)

If your sure you have #1 on TDC of the exhaust stroke and your gear marks are aligned you can put it all back together. When you drop in the distributor make sure the rotor is pointing toward #1 on the cap. When the distr. is fulled seated you can turn the base to correct any misalignment of rotor and #1 plug. Then attach your plug wires in the correct firing order starting with #1. I'm not sure and no offense, but just in case, the cylinders are numbered as 1,3,5,7 (driver side) and 2,4,6,8 (passenger) from front to back.

Since you were there you could have replaced the cam, lifters, and on, and on, and on. Good luck!
Spark plug fires on (or near) TDC on compression stroke. TDC of exhaust stroke would fire the plug with both intake and exhaust valves open (due to cam overlap). 4 cycle engine - intake, compression, power, exhaust.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:40 AM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (glen242)

glen242,

You're totally correct. Compression stroke! I stand corrected. I don't know where my mind was. :conehead
Old 04-01-2003, 09:53 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor. (thejaf)

...just want to stick up for thejaf-

I could completely have my head up my rectum, but I dont think it matters. As long as you're at TDC, you can install the distributor any way you want, then turn the base until electric contact is made and you're pointing at or near #1 on the cap. Then just set your timing, and you're ready to go.
Pull your head out thejaf...
You are right, but you could have worded it better.
I'm assuming what you meant was:
You can put the distributor in the motor with the rotor pointing anywhere... as long as you line it up with the #1 terminal on the cap.
Many people avoid this, 'cause of the wacky locations it'll put your vacuum advance. It might also make your spark plug routing a bit harder if you have it facing 180 degrees from where it was when you took it out.. Plus, if you're like me, and retain the stock ignition shield, you don't have much leeway with where you can point the vacuum advance.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Rick, i finally got my distrubuter to point at No. 1. i turned and turned the crank, and couldn't get it to set right t 0 and the distributer to point at No.1..so i looked inside my distributer hole, got a big screw driver, and turned the oil pump around...got my timing set right at zero, got the distributer pointing right at No.1...works great...lets hope it starts!

Get notified of new replies

To I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor.

Quick Reply: I think I made a big mistake removing the distributor.