C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts

Old 03-25-2003, 10:50 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts

Hi,
I currently own a 91 convertable. A man that works for me is selling his 81 coupe. Its an automatic with a strong engine, tranny, fresh tires and brakes. I drove it and it drove fine (albeit much differently from my current vette). The interior is in very good codition with just a sigle slice in the drivers seat leather (Could be fixed easily) rest of interior in near mint. It needs a paint job. It's black now and i am not interested in buying it to take to shows or anything so i am think i would just get a 1000 dollar job and paint it the same color black. There is also a small crack in the rear quarter panel that has been repaired to stop the spreading. It is still visible but does not spread. Other than that the car is in very nice shape. I know very little about C3's. He wants 4,000 for it, it has 98,000 miles. What are your thoughts. Anything i should know?? How does this price sound?? Can i expect at least a decent repaint for around a grand. What about the 81's anything in particular good or bad about them. Anything you know would help. I really am thinking about buying it but need some advice from those in the know. Look forward to your responses. Thanks,
Bob
:cheers:
Old 03-25-2003, 11:01 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (robertpel9)

at $4k it's about a steel. i'm not crazy about automatics but at that price, i'd certainly consider it.
the '81 was kind of a peculiar year for the computer system which is known to be 'finicky'. from what you described as it being a strong runner, there is a likelyhood the computer has been removed. if smog checks are a concern there, i would certainly investigate that more thouroghly.
even needing paint and minor 'glass work, it sounds more than fair. just makes me wonder about the condition of other things. make sure transmission O/D works. no 'clunking in the rear. check for rust in the a-pillar area and also around the frame kick up in front of the rear wheels.
what doesn't work on the car? windshield wipers? cruise control? windows? A/C?
if everything else seems to be in good working order or something you can live without, and you feel you can trust this guy then i'd say jump on it.
:cheers:
Old 03-25-2003, 11:03 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (robertpel9)

81's are nice cars (so are all the other years), and the price seems pretty darn good for what you describe. A 1k paint job should be real good, better than most of us have. If you have the cash and a love for vettes then I say buy it... of course thats always my answer when it comes to buying vettes.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (77Dream)

81's are nice cars (so are all the other years), and the price seems pretty darn good for what you describe. A 1k paint job should be real good, better than most of us have. If you have the cash and a love for vettes then I say buy it... of course thats always my answer when it comes to buying vettes.
Sounds like a deal but I would figure at least 3k for a decent paint job
Old 03-25-2003, 11:12 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (77Dream)

I thought the price was good. I just looked at edmunds (not that its reliable) but they say pay no more than 2 grand. Now i know that is insane but knowing i need a paintjob you still think 4K is a good price?? My only other concern is will i really drive it. I LOVE my current vette. I just think it would be cool if i could pick up a C3 cheap. Please tell me more, you guys have me more interested now. I just talked to the guy owning it and he insists there is nothing to hide just that he has no room for it and wants to get a motorcycle. He has owned it for the last 5 years and put about 30,000 miles on it. He has redone the brakes (including master cylinder), tires, put a CD player in and new mufflers. Keep the opinions coming please.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:16 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4K is definitely a steal. Check the price calculator at http://www.corvettemagazine.com. that should give you a better picture of what it's worth. Even if it needs some things and is missing the computer or smog equipt., 4 grand is a pretty good price. I looked at a similarly equipped '79 before I bought my car, and it was 7900.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:31 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Have a good look at the frame, especially just forward of the rear wheels. That is a common place for rust to eat the frame. If the frame is sound and everything else is in good shape (and it sounds like it is), I say go for it. I would be very interested in that car if it weren't so far away. I've been shopping for a good deal on an '81 and it sounds like you found one. Buy it, dude.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Swamp Thang
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a bargain. Even if you just buy it and resell.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:59 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (Swamp Thang)

Sounds like a bargain. Even if you just buy it and resell.
i was thinking that. I thought if i put about 1200 into it (Cheap paint job, fix seat, through detailing job) that i could turn around and sell it in May for more. What would the same car with a decent coat of fresh paint and the seat fix bring in?? Of course after fixing it up i will probably wanna keep it. C3's are foreign to me. To be honest i've never really been drawn to them but at this price i dont know, what do you think??
Old 03-25-2003, 01:16 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

thats a good price...I got mine for 5K and it was previously a TX car. Up here, for 4K-6K you'll find rust buckets and cracked shells....

you might be surprised when you get it and see what all can be done to them....check some of the C3 home pages....be a fun project...
Old 03-25-2003, 02:43 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok - don't take this personally, Robert - but ...
You might want to pass it on to another forum member in the RI area
that would be more enthusiastic. If not driven and taken care of on a
steady basis, these old C3s can rot out and break down in no time.
Unwritten rule: You're not allowed to drive a C3 with snow on the ground.
Store your C3 during the winter in a cool dry place.

I would also be skeptical of the hidden rust factor. I, too, paid $4000 for my
'75 about 5 years back. I drove it a couple years - then went to fix the
known rust. Well - long story short - the 75 is now a parts donor for a 70
chassis that I picked up. I don't mean to indicate that the seller is trying to
pull one over on you - but no one sees the rot until it's way too late.
Go look at the 75 pictures in my web site (see sig). Don't eat for one hour before viewing the pics.
:U

All that said: $4000 is a GREAT deal - if the body steel and frame are solid.
$4000 is an OK price for a vette with rot - but a big project to fix it.

Rust !! RI is surrounded by salt water on 2 of 4 sides. Well, at least they don't
use salt on the streets. :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Good luck deciding !! :seeya
Old 03-26-2003, 03:08 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (NHvette)

Unwritten rule: You're not allowed to drive a C3 with snow on the ground.
:leaving:
late may, mt. st. helens. wife and i thought we lived in wash. for two years and never been there so jump in the vette and go. do you know there's still snow on the ground on helens even in late may? even as low as 5-6000 feet? well, there is. corvettes make bad snow plows :blush: but i did't get stuck :thumbs:
Old 03-26-2003, 03:46 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds pretty good to me. I have a C4 and a C3, see webpage for pics.
:thumbs: :seeya
Old 03-26-2003, 06:13 AM
Garys81
Instructor

Bob,

I started out with a 90 vette........looking to purchase a C5. I got a call one day from a club member and he pointed me to an 81, local car, going up for sale. Long story short........$4750 less in my pocket, I own the 81 for about 5 years now and due to limited garage space sold my 90. I LOVE the C3 cant wait to own a chrome bumper...

Good luck do the research and you will fall in love with the C3's
Old 03-26-2003, 06:45 AM
red_thunder
6th Gear

I bought my '77 for $4700. It needs a paint job and interior work, but it is mechanically sound with no rust.
I also bought it from a co-worker, who was in heaven when he saw close to $5K in cash. Yeah for me! :troll
Old 03-26-2003, 06:46 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds like a good deal to me, IF the frame and bird cage are rust free :yesnod:
Old 03-26-2003, 08:32 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Robert.....

Write the check. Don't look back. You won't be sorry.
I agree with most the others, and owning a 81 I can only tell you, at 4000 dollars - it's a steal.
Even if he just sells it (as is) he could probably get around 6 - 7,000.
If you don't buy it, offer to post it here, then you'll see at that price how quickly it will sell.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts

Old 03-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (Alwyn678)

Sounds like a deal but I would figure at least 3k for a decent paint job
:iagree: :iagree: At the least...3K...unless you know someone :D
Hi Al :seeya
Eddie
Old 03-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Cor6996vette
Racer

$4000.00 is a good deal for 81 , but check frame rust carefully and around the winshield frame , you need all the smog system if your state required , check rear bearing one of the expensive fix and you can ask for $3000.00.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:11 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts (myisa69)

Can you tell me more about the 81's. I like the chrome bumper C3's but dont know how i feel about the later ones. I like the 82 collector edition it looks a little sleeker to me. Is the 81 a desireable model or a "black sheep" like my old 84 was perceived to be. Also what are some quirks with the car. Like on C4's you know the weatherstripping sucks, the wheel bearings dont last and the VATS is a pain. Can you enlighten me more on the 81. Is it one of the better C3's from a quality and refinement standpoint like the 95-96 C4's are or is it more of a holdover car made while everyone waited for the C4. If i buy the car i just want to make sure its something i wont mind paying to insure etc. Basically can you try and sell me this model year. I know nothing of C3's so want to be educated before i take the plunge.

Thanks,
Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 owner with chance to buy C3 from Co-Worker. Need you thoughts