C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory data for lt-1 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 PM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory data for lt-1 engine

Hi,
Looking to start this thread about C3 restoration data.
For example:
What is the correct factory carb for a 350/350 engine? I recently began work on a pretty well stock 70 conv. that had a holley 4360 econo carb. What's the right one?
When installing new carpet, is there a spray adhesive to stay away from? Should I stay away from them all? Does it matter?
Feel free to add more or answer these.
thanks, this forum is a great idea! :cheers:
Kraven
Old 03-20-2003, 11:19 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Re: factory data for lt-1 engine (kraventhearcher)

Welcome to the forum!

Let's back up a little on the carb question. A 350-350 is an L-46 and used a Quadrajet carb. The LT-1 was 350-370 and used a Holley carb.
3M general trim adhesive #08088 works great for carpet.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:22 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Welcome :cheers: . If you have a 350/350 engine, it came with a Rochester four barrel, and it is not an LT-1 motor, it's an L-46. The LT-1 was rated at 370 HP. I think most adhesives are fine for the carpet. There are a bunch of them you can buy in the spray can from your local auto parts store. There are some pieces you may not even need to use adhesive on, but I think you will find the vertical pieces won't want to stay up without it.

AC
Old 03-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Re: L-46 Carburetor

Kraven,

As stated, the 350/350 engine that you reference is actually designated L-46. During the 1970 model year, this engine was equipped with a Quadrajet four barrel carburetor... These were usually manufactured by Rochester, but many were also built under license by Carter (and are identified as such on the carb body.

Actual L-46 applications for 1970 used part number 7040207 in most cases although 7040507 was used when NA-9 (California emissions equipment) was ordered.

The suggestion to use the "old faithful" 3M General Purpose Trim Adhesive is a good one. I think that you'll find that the factory only applied adhesive to carpet on vertical surfaces... Areas such as the front and rear floor sections typically did not have adhesive applied to the carpet.

Regards,
Old 03-23-2003, 12:17 AM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Hi,
Just finished a long day of working on the shark and got the body sanded. NO cracks in the glass, but the console was a beeotch to get out.
Thanks to everyone for the info. It was helpful.
I'd like to know what the data is for engine codes on the car and how I can be sure of what engine I have. I know the block is for sure the original engine. The valve covers are the finned aluminum natural finish with crossed flags logo on them. The engine still has the factory grab hooks on the intake as well as a bunch of stuff that had to do with the Q-jet or holley that's now gone. It also sounds like it has solid lifters, but that could also just be engine noise. Shifter still has the original shift **** too. Can anyone help me decode this really nice car to find out what I am dealing with?
It's a small block, 4 speed, convertible 1970 model.
Plans are to replace the factory intake with an Edelbrock Performer (polished) and an Edelbrock 750 cfm carb. Anyone know if this combo fits under the stock hood? Plans are to keep the ramhorn exhaust manifolds and upgrade to 2 1/2 inch exhaust.
Thanks so much.
Kraven :banghead:
Old 03-23-2003, 08:59 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1970 L46 350/350 hp quadrajet 7040207 are very hard to find and expensive if you want to go back to original. I remember pricing a core back in 1995 or so that was $800. I went with a replacement, runs fine. As far as exhaust, I am running the stock manifolds but the 2 1/2" pipes. If you go with these, you will need to replace the 2" pipe mount bracket on the the transmission with the 2 1/2" one. I bought my 2 1/2" pipes and off-road mufflers from Allen's exhaust. They have a display at Knoxville Corvette Expo every spring and fall ( http://www.corvetteexpo.com/news.html )

I like the sound of the off-road mufflers- deep sound, not loud at all.
:smash:

Good luck on the '70 :cheers:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:02 AM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

*bump*
:party:
Old 03-23-2003, 09:28 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Take the #s off your block and post them. Somebody here can then de-code it for you. Casting # is on block just behind LH head. Just in front of RH head on block is a machined surface with small #s stamped in. The 3 letter suffix will determine the engine application. If original to the car, it will also have the last few #s of your VIN stamped on it. Just for kicks, what does your console data plate say? Problem is, it could easily have been changed, but if it looks original to the car, it could add to the big picture.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:41 AM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Default Re: factory data for lt-1 engine (MidShark)

Numbers coming up.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 10:01 AM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Two numbers from the passenger side front of the engine.

70s410794
and
V04060TH

Where would I find the console plate? I have the console disassembled so it should be easy to find.

Sorry if I'm a little ignorant of the bowtie process. I like every brand, I'm just really impressed with this corvette. It's the first I've been able to work on.
Thanks,
Kraven :flag
Old 03-23-2003, 10:04 AM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Midshark
That blue vette on your posts is gorgeous. I have a birthday coming up...
j/k. :-)

How can I decode the plate on the driver's door post. I'd like to get the paint code from the car and anything else I can to help with the resto.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:40 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Look a little closer at the letters- does it actually read VO406CTH? (not an "O")If so, you are in luck- it is your 350/350HP w/mt. Does the other # match the last few digits of your VIN? If so, you're probably looking at the original engine. :thumbs:
The data plate is on the metal shift plate surround, just behind the shifter.
As for the other codes, post the info off the metal plate in the door jamb as to color, interior, and we can decode.
Thanks for the compliment on the '66- You never know, I may be selling it soon. :D

[Modified by MidShark, 2:43 PM 3/23/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 12:27 PM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Ok, thanks for the information midshark.
Now, does the 350/350 in the car translate to an LT1 or an L46 engine? Or is there another engine code I've missed?
I found some data on the body too. A tag on the driver's side cowl that meets the door has Chevrolet F01, then: trim414 975 paint

On the rear package area on the fiberglass is the number 467 with the middle 6 being marked over by same chalk and the number now, possibly being 477.
What does the chalk number mean?
The numbers you mentioned behind the shifter plate: did you mean the ones on the fiberglass body behind the steel "ring" that retains the boot to the floor? Or did you mean the bezel on the console?
Thanks so much for helping me out with this. Like I previously stated, I'm a bit new to the corvette thing and don't have a lot of reference material.
Any tips on what to be careful of when reassembling? Right now, it's getting a full body repaint and not a frame-off resto.
Oh yeah! I wanted to ask about this sensor in the front headlight area that's part of the wiring harness for the headlights. I don't have a clue what it is.
Also have some questions about the ventilation system in the back. But I'll save those for now.
Thanks again to everyone for your responses.
kraven :chevy
Old 03-30-2003, 12:37 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

A 350/350 would definitely be an L-46. There is a data plate on the console that should tell you the HP and torque numbers, although that is easily swapped if someone is trying to clone an LT-1. I think the sensor you are talking about is the fiber optic sub harness. There is a bezel in your shifter console, just forward of the main bezel. This has a fiber optic lens in it with 6 indicators for all four headlights and the parking lamps. The lens in your headlights transmits light back to the lenses in the console to tell you that your lamps are on. Sort of a gimmicky thing, but it's another early C3 quirk that is kind neat.

AC

[Modified by A C, 11:38 AM 3/30/2003]
Old 03-30-2003, 12:52 PM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Default Re: factory data for lt-1 engine (A C)

Hi AC,
Thanks for your reply.
The car isn't trying, as apparently a lot of cars are, to be cloned or passed off as an LT1 car. It's a car the owner had back in the seventies, had to part with so he could buy his first home, and now that he's made enough money to buy lots and lots of homes, he went looking for it and regained ownership from the man who bought it from him.
The car was a little bit bubbaized, with the q-jet being replaced with a Holley 4360 economaster 450 cfm carb. And there are various mismatching fastners and other cobbled things. But the original block is there and the heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, etc. Still has the factory grab hooks on the intake too.
So, it's a labor of love. I volunteered to find out about the data on the car so he would know for the sake of discussion. And because I like to know anything about any car (except maybe pacers and gremlins).
The owner just wants a nice repaint, reupholter, and shine job so he can drive his old car again. I like being part of that.
:cheers:
Old 03-30-2003, 12:56 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I was not implying that the owner was trying to clone an LT-1, just that the data plate is easily switched, so it may not match the car.

AC
Old 03-30-2003, 01:04 PM
kraventhearcher
Intermediate

Default Re: factory data for lt-1 engine (A C)

Sorry AC, didn't mean to seem like I was being defensive. I didn't take anything you wrote to be accusatory. I was just letting you and the other surfers know what the project was about.

So, does anyone out there have the interior and paint codes?

Get notified of new replies

To factory data for lt-1 engine

Quick Reply: factory data for lt-1 engine