C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door won't open ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Stevo81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door won't open ???

HELP !!! Drivers door won't open. Key goes in, turns, door no go. Can the mechanism be worked from interior ? Sun is going to shine tomorrow ! :nopity
Old 03-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (Stevo81)

You have to get the door open to pull the panel to work on the lock mechanism.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

From outside handle, inside handle, or both? If outside only, I am going through the same problem too. I'm debating on wether or not to take the whole latch mechanism out and give it a good kerosene soak / cleaning.

The limited accessibility of the rods & clips inside the door does not work well with my fat / stubby hands. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[Modified by Simon Alexander, 11:22 PM 3/17/2003]
Old 03-18-2003, 05:16 AM
blue72lt4sc
Instructor

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (Simon Alexander)

i had this problem with my 72, roll down the window....and get a looong small headed flat head screw driver and look down at the rear top of the door, you will see between the door window seals the locking mechanism, there is a small flat piece that if you are able to force up with the screw driver thenthe door will open, its kinda hard to explain, but after 15 or 20 min you'll figure it out.....hope that helps some :chevy
Old 03-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (Smokehouse69)

You have to get the door open to pull the panel to work on the lock mechanism.
No you don't.... I pulled my panel with the door stuck in the closed position from the inside of the car. Itis not the easiest thing to do. However it is the only thng you can do when the lock mechanism breaks and the door is stuck shut. Otherwise you would have to destroy your door panel.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (Alwyn678)

another thing you guys need to check and something i've run into myself is the striker bolt. if you notice, it has a sleeve that is supposed to have a rubber bushing between it and the bolt itself. after years and years, the rubber just goes away and that sleeve has all this slop in it. mine got jammed and i ended up having to take a minihack (handle that attatches to a blade on just one end) and cut the bolt off from inside the door jamb. trust me, that sucked. once i got the door open, the latch just 'popped' and the ring just flew out. i replaced it with a solid striker bolt from autozone (two years ago) and have had no trouble since.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:04 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (clutchdust)

Just went through this today . After playing with key, the handle (inside & out ) it finally opened. I removed door panel cover. Nothing was broken or out of place. I sprayed the hell out of it with silicon spray cleaner. I really soaked that sucker. Any part that moved, looked like it would move, etc. I tightened all nuts & bolts and now it works just fine. Sludge messes up these mechanisims. If thats the case for you than its an easy fix.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:43 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Door won't open ??? (dogboy)

dogboy, check that striker bolt!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:56 PM
fishman
Heel & Toe

I am having the same problem. The door opens from the inside but not the outside. I am afraid to shut the door and have it stuck if the inside handle decides not to work. I guess I will be pulling the door panels of tomorrow to inspect the mechanicals. It worked two days ago when I opened the door. I have it on jack stands, wonder it something is on a bind or just came loose? Who would have thought that an engine swap would result in door problems

:banghead:
Old 03-19-2003, 01:06 AM
Stevo81
Pro

It worked !! The outside key would turn but not open the door, the electricals did nothing, the inside lever did nothing and only by working the **** inside did it finally come loose. I am sure it is gummy in there. So it will come apart soon for lube. But today it worked and I had a fine ride!!
Thanks to all... :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Door won't open ???

Quick Reply: Door won't open ???