C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 08:45 PM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible?

Hi,
I finally found my corvette. 69, red, convertible, 4 speed. She is a honey :hurray: I bought her in Texas on Saturday and she is scheduled to arrive here in NY Monday or Tuesday :D There is no owners manual in the car. I'm in the process of getting one but I don't think I'll have it before my baby arrives. I'm taking off from work the day she arrives and I hope I can cruise around with the top down. Can anyone tell me how to take the top down and then put it back up again?
Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (ez1)

First of all, welcome! :seeya

1.) unhook the three clamps at the top of the windshield.
2.) Under the body panel behind the seats (at shoulder level when sitting) there are two levers. One of the releases the top from the body panel, the other releases the body panel.
3.) You want to turn the level that releases the top (I can never remember which is which)
4.) Raise the back of the top.
5.) Turn the lever that releases the panel, raise the panel.
6.) Lower the back half of the top into the car, then follow with the front half of the top.

To close, repeat steps. It is easier with 2 people.

[Modified by 69stingray, 9:02 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Where in Texas? The info below assumes it's a soft top, and I hope it helps. I tried to cover everything, but may have missed something.

1. Pull both seats forward and rest against the steering wheel & dash (release button is at top of each seat back). Reach under storage area and pull forward (toward front of car) the lever on the driver's side. This should release the rear pins (rear of top should pop up from canopy that covers storage area).

2. Reach under storage area and pull forward (toward front of car) the lever on the passenger side. This should release the canopy (part of body that covers top when it's down).

3. Along header (where windshield meets top), pull down the right, center, and left latches.

4. Standing at the rear of either door, lift the rear of the top upwards and toward the front of the car. Then lift the front of the top and fold it rearward and towards the back of the car. Finally, collapse the top as you lay it down into the rear compartment area.

5. Verify the three header latches are laying flat. Then close the canopy gently. If it does not latch, gently push down on each side, verifying the seats are not preventing the canopy from closing.

:cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 09:21 PM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys. I bought the car in Acton Texas (the same zip code as Granbury). I'm just about jumpin' out of my skin waiting for it to get here.
Thanks for the info. Come Monday or Tuesday I'll be ready to roll :D
Old 03-14-2003, 09:37 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, it sounds great.

Take pics and post. We need pics.

Old 03-14-2003, 10:10 PM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (bamavettes)

I have pictures and would be happy to post them. They are jpegs. How do I post them? Is 9 too many?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Find a place to host them. Right below your posting window is a button that says Image. It will insert the following: {IMG}{/IMG} with [ instead of {. Cut the URL and Paste it between the two IMG tags and you're all set.

Do this for each picture.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations! A tip when you are putting the top down... I keep a clean bath towel and lay it on the outside of the rear window. That way when the top folds the plastic doesn't rub against itself and chaff the window. The soft towel is what makes contact with the window.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:00 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (ndirishr1)

:iagree: Towel's an excellent idea. Also, if you store the car for a while, store it with the top up rather than down so you don't end up with permanent creases. BTW, does you car look anything like the one below? :D

JB
Old 03-15-2003, 12:08 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations! A tip when you are putting the top down... I keep a clean bath towel and lay it on the outside of the rear window. That way when the top folds the plastic doesn't rub against itself and chaff the window. The soft towel is what makes contact with the window.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Very good advise.

[Modified by Simon Alexander, 11:09 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 12:38 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (Simon Alexander)

A good *vert* thread..... that is cool! Pics! I want to see pics!
Old 03-15-2003, 01:06 PM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (Simon Alexander)

Wow :cool: nice cars! Thanks for the towel tip. Great idea.
Yes and no JB - Yes - she's the same model, color and also has the original radio but she's not as "polished." She needs a little work to finish the way I'd like and the radio doesn't work so good. But she's mine :cool: and she's on the way home :D :D and it's a beautiful day outside and I should be cruisin' down Hempstead Turnipke...
I don't have a place to host the pictures. Yet. I'll look for a site tonight. How do I add a picture to my signature? That way I could get one I could show off :rolleyes:
Thanks again for the tips. Can't wait for Monday or Tuesday!
Old 03-15-2003, 07:13 PM
jwbert
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I always have to remember to open both doors first as the top frame will gouge or at least scratch the top rear edge of each door as I lower the top. I've adjusted the top up as far as it will go and it still hits that back corner of the car doors. :nonod:
Old 03-16-2003, 09:50 AM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (jwbert)

Thanks JW. I appreciate the tip. And thanks everyone, again, for all the help. By the way - I got THE call last night. I'm meeting the transporter this afternoon at the Sears parking lot :party:
I found a site to upload my pictures. So far only one. The one that should/might be included in my signature (below). More to come, as soon as I can sit still long enough to upload the rest. Maybe tonight - maybe tomorrow :rolleyes:
Old 03-16-2003, 09:59 AM
ez1
Heel & Toe

The pic didn't work. Maybe this one?
Old 03-16-2003, 10:57 AM
lampedusa
Pro

Sweet news man, I'm happy for you. Welcome to the club. :cheers: :yesnod:

[Modified by lampedusa, 10:58 AM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 11:43 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

looks very nice! :)

Here is the pic of your car:

Here are a couple more convertible top tips:

I read in one book that you should not even attempt to put the top up if the temperature is below about (I forget exactly) 45 degrees, because at that temp the top will be too stiff and could crack or rip.

Also, when you are putting the rear deck lid back down, press each side down firmly until it locks shut. DO NOT (as I used to do! :) ) slam the rear deck lid down to lock it! MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 11:46 AM 3/16/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible?

Old 03-16-2003, 03:14 PM
MYBLU71
Racer

Default Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (JB)

Point your finger at it and say " You're old, smell bad and will never amount to anything..."... :jester

Congrats on your acquisition. The above posts seem to have all of the specifics on putting the top down and up on your new baby.

:thumbs:
Old 03-16-2003, 06:31 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. I have an old towel that I rolled up and slipped a tube sock on each end of the roll. Looks like a gray sweaty worm, but it does the trick.

Also agree with the cold weather thing. To easy to crack the back window or rip the top.

Have fun with your new vette.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:24 PM
ez1
Heel & Toe

Default Update to Re: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible? (Rich's75)

For all of you who were kind enough to help me with the "top down question" here's an update:
My 35 year old dream was realized when I was driven to the Sears parking lot on Sunday afternoon. There she was sitting on top of the transporter waiting to be unloaded. That's when it clicked - when the driver called to say he would be there in an hour he also said to bring some Windex and paper towls so I would be able to see out the front window to drive home - my shiny Monza Red and gleaming chrome dream car was filthy grey and had a flat right front tire :confused: 2 hours later, after a struggle to get either one of the doors open I was on the way home. 2 hours after that, after a washing, cleaning and much elbow grease she was lookin' good :D Monday was a lot of fun at work. Everybody just loves that car. Especially me :bb Insured, registered and inspected ($500 for a left front caliper, left side tie rod end and a replacement rod (piece of a coat hanger) for the backup lights and I'm ready to go. Except the doors don't want to open? I was reading that the door lock mechanisms on hot state cars that travel north are known to seize solid if thet haven't been maintained. Guess what I'll be doing Saturday :rolleyes:
Oh yeah - I took the day off yesterday and did get the top down. Rode around all day. Had a great time.
Thanks for all your help :cheers:

Quick Reply: How do I put the top down on a 69 convertible?