C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint::::

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint::::

Wow it really does work well on the upper portions of paint.....Getting it down to the bare glass and red primer is alot of work and it did leave some nicks..... :smash: but I think I,m going to use the blade to get down to the last layer of brown colored primer and sand from then on to prevent the nicks in the bare glass.......What grit should I use to remove the nicks in the glass or should I just wait til I shoot sealer and then primer/surfacer??
Old 03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (White 68)

WOW - that must be a lot of work :eek: :eek:
Old 03-12-2003, 12:37 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (White 68)

Nice job so far, did you use the heat gun too? I have a coat of gray primer then a coat of red under that. The razors were able to take off just the paint in most of the areas. You'll probably get to sanding before I do, so let me know how it is to do. :thumbs:
Gary
Old 03-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow. I bet your fingers are hurting! :eek:
Old 03-12-2003, 12:53 PM
White 68
Drifting

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (Mystery Machine)

Holy cow. I bet your fingers are hurting! :eek:
Its not bad when you get your technique down ...I,m using a razor blade held in a metal handle...Time to get back to stripping :party:

[Modified by White 68, 11:54 AM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

How come you don't use Captain Lee's (I think that is the name) stripper, I did mine that way and it turned out fine. It was also kinda cool to be able to peal the paint off in big chunks. :lol:

Razor Blade = Too much work

Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to commend you for your patience and persistance. I would have brought out the air chisel after the first hour!! :mad :mad
Good Luck...keep up the good work
Eddie
Old 03-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Good luck looks like a ton of work....I would be scared of digging in the paint -FIBERGLASS with a blade.......

[Modified by Alwyn678, 3:01 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (Alwyn678)

No effin WAY I would use a razor blade to strip a car.. I would be throwing crap within 15 minutes.

:eek:

I commend you on your patience and har work!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 03-12-2003, 02:53 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (Alwyn678)

I know we have beat this dead horse up over and over again!!!!!
BUT!!!!!!
I still can't figure out why people would try to use a razor blade to strip paint off a fiberglass body!!!
I don't want to be a jerk but there is nothing wrong with doing things the way you want to do things but strippers made specifically for stripping paint off fiberglass will not harm your car as long as you follow the directions.
Give it a try, I bet you would be happy with the results and you won't have to work at it so hard. Plus no gouges in the fiberglass.

Old 03-12-2003, 03:45 PM
White 68
Drifting

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (James)

I know we have beat this dead horse up over and over again!!!!!
BUT!!!!!!
I still can't figure out why people would try to use a razor blade to strip paint off a fiberglass body!!!
I don't want to be a jerk but there is nothing wrong with doing things the way you want to do things but strippers made specifically for stripping paint off fiberglass will not harm your car as long as you follow the directions.
Give it a try, I bet you would be happy with the results and you won't have to work at it so hard. Plus no gouges in the fiberglass.

The first night I just went to far down ..Today I,m flying paint is coming off easy and no gouges ..the whole back end of the car is almost done ...I,m not offended by your comments ...I,ll post some pics later ...
Old 03-12-2003, 03:56 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

I think you'll make faster progress using a fiberglass safe paint stripper. Especially when you get to the curved areas. But, to each his own. It's all a means to an end, and I'm sure the final paintjob will look great since you're removing all the dead paint down to the glass

:cheers:
Old 03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
ndirishr1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I liked my way better. I paid some one to blast it off with plastic bead.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:09 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (James)

James;
Answer one question.

Have you ever tried a razor blade?

White '68, they make a special bondo for filling on pinholes and small stuff, I forget what it's called. But it's green and comes in a big tube...

[Modified by 427V8, 7:11 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-12-2003, 08:18 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (427V8)

Wow that is a slow process!!! I used stripper on my FB and it only took an hour or so to do a whole door, including R/O sanding to bare metal. Joe
Old 03-12-2003, 09:12 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Hey White, how are you? Let me start by telling you that I work in a body shop. First of all, dont try to remove the nicks from the gel coat. This will only cause a bigger " low spot " in the glass. You will have to fill the nicks in. A previous post mentioned the green stuff in the big tube, it is simple called "green stuff ", dont use it, throw it away. It used to be what we used but it shrinks up after time and leaves another blemish. You need to use a polyester based filler, but not necessarily bondo. I like to use a product made by USC chemicals called "icing" it is a polyestar skim coat filler. Only to be used for small dents and imperfections and to fill in those little nicks, scratches, pinholes, etc. After you get done with the razor blade you need to go over it with 150 grit and then with 220 or 280 and then primer sealer. Dont use a DA or any other type of sander especially if you are just begining to do refinish work. Sounds like you are making good progress, if you have any specific questions you can post them or email me directly at biggjimm1@bpsinet.com and I will gladly try to help you. Good luck Biggjimm
Old 03-12-2003, 09:21 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (biggjimm)

Been there and done that for sure. The razor worked great until I got into the tight spots. I used the razor for the most part and then stripper. The stripper worked awesome too. I would not be afraid to use it again.
Keep up the good work and keep the faith
Neil in Tenn

Get notified of new replies

To Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint::::

Old 03-12-2003, 09:46 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Once you get into a comfortable rhythm it will go faster.
This took only minutes to do. Granted getting the primer gone was a little tougher :smash: I've used chemical stippers and this method to me is better.
The best would be media blasting :cheers:
Old 03-13-2003, 12:53 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (yellow 72)

Once you get into a comfortable rhythm it will go faster.
This took only minutes to do. Granted getting the primer gone was a little tougher :smash: I've used chemical stippers and this method to me is better.
The best would be media blasting :cheers:
I support the razor blade for large flat areas on fiberglass. This picture above
is a good one - shows the paint just flakes and peels up. The right angle and
a nice smooth stroke, and ... well ... you get it off quickly (the paint). :lol:
For the sharp curves and tight spots, choose your poison - stripper or sanding.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:48 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint:::: (NHvette)

I vote for the razor blade too. It is very fst once you get the hang of it.
This was done in 1 day:

Quick Reply: Picture of my first 3 hours with the razor blade stripping paint::::