C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[OT] Building a shop - opinions, please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 11:54 AM
tboltkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please...

I just moved out into the country on 3 acres so that I could build a nice, 40 X 60 building for my cars and am looking for some opinions. :cheers:

Basically I see two options: wood frame post building (commonly referred to as a pole barn or Morton building) or an all steel building? I could save a few thousand dollars by getting the steel one, but I'd have to build it myself. It seems like in the end a steel building would be better anyway, but I don't know. :confused:

That's where I'm looking for opinions. Which do you think would be better, the post frame built for me, or the all steel building that I have to build myself?

Sorry this is a little off topic, but the building will be housing Corvettes (although probably only one at a time).

Thanks for any input...
Old 02-19-2003, 12:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (tboltkc)

From the way you pose the question there are too many variables...

MY approach would be pour a slab, the lay blocks about 2-3 high around the perimeter, then lay 2x6 walls/pressure treated wood over top of that....bolted down through the slab on bolts set in the contrete...blocks filled solid...and then bolt the wood sill down ...this is a rough description of Florida hurricane construction....but you got storms/tornados too....then you can use 2x4 for money reasons or preferably 2x6 on at minimum 2' centers around the walls....8' tall, but the blocks mean it's ow a rougnly 10-12' interior room to ceiling....put on a 4/12 roof trusses....that's the pitch 4' high for every 12' horizontally....this allows good drainage, and not impossible to walk on for whatever reason....shingles are good....

depending on your requirements, you can drop a ceiling in easy..and insulate the walls later on...but it gives you plenty of height for a lift if you want go that route.....blocks under the wood walls mean you have less chance of water/termite damage over the years...depending on your needs....

Garage doors are a PIA no matter how you install one...i'ts allways in the way, so it seems.....

run good 100 amp power out there....maybe 200 amp if welding a LOT....

I feel a 9' ceiling is about minimum for a good garage...anything less is a real PIA for guys like us....who actually DO something besides PARK.....

GENE
Old 02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (mrvette)

I'd opt for the steel building on a slab. NO bug problems. Put a loft in one end for long term storage of parts. Water and appropriate electric service to suit. Skylights should also be considered. (never seem to have too much light)

Slab should be above the ground level with a small ramp at doors to be free from water. A decent sized exhaust fan at the end away from the entry will help a lot, too.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:59 PM
rollavette71
Instructor

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (FASGLAS)

I'm doing (or will do soon) almost exactly what Gene describes... although
the pitch on my roof is 2:1. I'm doing most of the construction myself with advice from my knowledgeable father-in-law. The roof is a bit steep, but I haven't been overly scared when working on it. I wouldn't want it any steeper, however.

I'm just now starting on the shingles. Then garage doors. You can see a pic at http://216.136.200.194/auction/Feb/20032158153359602054105.jpg

Mine is smaller than yours (36' x 36'). So far I think it will fit my needs.
Hope this might help somehow.

Hank
Old 02-19-2003, 02:37 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (rollavette71)

Depends on what you have time for, all metal buildings tend to be the better route, but do you have time and the man power (several friends) to do it????

I went with a wood frame, on slab, with metal exterior for two reasons:

1. My builder was able to do it while building our house for a reasonable price.

2. He was able to brick the front to match the house without major difficulty.

If I had went the all metal way, it wouldn't have been quite as easy.

It survived hurricane Lilly just as well as nearby all metal buildings.

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 1:43 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
tboltkc
Advanced

Sorry if the question leaves too many variables open. Basically I was looking for input on the merits of a post-frame building with steel siding (a Morton-type building) vs an all-steel building.

My specifications are:
* 40 X 60 X 12
* insulated walls and ceiling
* 4" concrete slab
* 1 10 X 10 door in end wall
* 1 walk-in door

And that's about it. An on-site constructed wood frame building will run about $21K. An all steel one will run about $18,000, but I have to build it myself (which I think I can do). The steel building also comes with 2 windows. These numbers do not include the plumbing/electrical work, which I haven't quoted yet, but will be the same whichever way I go.

I'm just trying to figure out if the steel would not only be cheaper, but a better building in the long run, therefore making the effort to do it myself worth it.

Thanks for the input so far - keep it coming!

We're supposed to decide which way to go this week.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:11 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

One more thing, do you ever plan on having a large boat or RV? If I had it to do over, I would probably go with a bigger door.

Oh and that 30x50 would be a 40x60 like you said. Wouldn't have cost that much more. :confused:

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 2:17 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 03:30 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I think you can find someone to build a metal building for you. I would contact the local metal building dealers. They can get you in contact with a builder. With that said I would say that all metal is the way to go. It has a much better life and maintenance cost when compared to wood (way less fire danger, too) and it goes together much faster. I have experience with both and I am never going to build a wood structure again.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:28 AM
OatBoy
Pro

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (rollavette71)

i'd say steel on concrete
Old 02-20-2003, 01:38 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please... (OatBoy)

Id go with a steel building but have someone build it for you.Companies advertise in Atl for a 40x60 built for 25k,slab and everything.Ive got a metal building and I wouldnt have changed a thing,its solid as a rock. :yesnod:
Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

My brother is a cantractor and he built his shop with nice grey cinder blocks. Thay have a nice broken look in the outside. Something you might want to check into?????? hey there he is right now in his shop working on his tractor :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please...

Quick Reply: [OT] Building a shop - opinions, please...