C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good price on 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Is this a good price on 3" exhaust?

Well, I've got the interior completed and am moving on to my next winter project.....exhaust. A local shop quoted me $250.00 for 3" stainless steel exhaust system. That includes everything from the headers back. The shop talked me out of "straight through" exhaust such as Flowmaster, due to the noise. They suggested a high flow turbo muffler. It would give me the sound that I'm looking for without all of the cabin noise. What to ya'll think about the price and the turbo mufflers?
Old 01-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: Is this a good price on 3" exhaust? (Andrew)

Sounds dirt cheap for stainless go for it....How much HP you making?? why 3 inch....Are you over 500hp??
Old 01-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Andrew
Drifting

Default Re: Is this a good price on 3" exhaust? (Alwyn678)

I've never had the car on a dyno and I purchased the car with the current motor already installed. So in short, I'm not sure how much power it is making. I do know that it will quite handily take a C-5 and F-Body LS1 up to about 110, when my car runs out of gearing as it has a very low rear. I currently have 2" exhaust and think that my top end will dramatically increase with the extra breathing room. Is it possible that 3" would be too big? 2.5" would be cheaper!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 11:31 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For 3 inch stainless I think this is a good price. I also agree with the turbo mufflers. I have 3 inch with the turbo mufflers and cruising down the highway there is no drone? My exhaust is quiet.
So for $250 a complete exhaust from the headers back is a good price. How will they deal with the cross member and be sure to run short tail pipes. The further back the better.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$250 for 3" WITH mufflers!!! Man, I got hosed I think. I paid ~$400 for 2.5" with an H pipe and FLowmaster 40 series.

I LOVE the sound of the Flowmasters but it is a bit annoying at anything below 40MPH.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good price to me. I paid $450 last week for 3" with a H pipe and Flowmaster 40's.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:46 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default sounds too cheap!

I wouldnt do it because it sounds way too cheap! :lol: I couldnt buy a stainless exhaust system for $250 without the mufflers. Seriously, if you can get it with mufflers installed at that price it is a great deal! :) MJ
Old 01-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Andrew
Drifting

Default Re: sounds too cheap! (MNJack)

Normalwilhelm-Thanks for the info! I'll make sure that the mufflers are as far back as possible. As for the crossmember, he thinks that the pipes will fit through, but will require additional bracing.

There is a catch to the price, I must remove the old system myself. So I'll be driving about 20 minutes with open headers. Now if a cop hears me comming, the project could get much more expensive!! :lol:
Old 01-30-2003, 06:16 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

:lolg: I would check out the pipe first. No way for stainless 3" The pipe cost more than that. I just had my 3" system installed. First I had to have two new holes welded in the cross member so now the exhaust goes straight back twords the rear. It's killer, because the pipes are far away from the tranny and they fit nice and tight under the car. 3" is the way to go if you've got big power or plan to do something larger in the future. Oh yea I paid 170 for the cross mod, 250 for the exhaust install with Moroso EVAC tubes installed and a trick balance tube. I used 50 series Flowmasters, and yes they will fit and they should be a little quieter at cruise speed.
Good luck :hurray:
Old 01-30-2003, 07:53 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Is this a good price on 3" exhaust? (smokin75-427)

I can buy really nice 304 stainless for about $2.00 per foot any length. This is nice pipe, polished and wrapped in a protective wrapper. It is stamped 304 at least every foot, .065 wall 3 inch. This is Cdn.
I also make roll cages out of 1 5/8 stainless 304. Tig welded and polished it looks great and can not be scratched climbing in and out. I have a cage in my mustang but not the vet. The wife refuses to crawl over a bar.
My turbo mufflers are so old I forget the price.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are going to be removing the old exhaust system, pls be careful not to pull the car onto yourself!!! :eek: I think I was actually able to pull off my old exhaust with the car on the ground, but if you have it up on stands it is easy to get carried away pulling and tugging on those stubborn pipes!! MJ
Old 01-31-2003, 12:20 AM
74vetteman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to the topic:

If I was to install another 3 inch exhaust on my 74 vette, I would use oval pipe after the exhaust goes through the tranny crossmember. I would carry on with the oval until the exhaust goes under the diff, and after the diff, I would transition back to round pipe before going into the mufflers. 3 inch exhaust leave very little ground clearance, even when installed as tight as possible to the body. I find that mine scrapes the road occasionally, and I have to be very careful on driveways. You can buy oval pipe at http://www.drgas.com

I think that is the link. The company name is Dr. Gas. I wouldn't recommend their Spintech mufflers though, unless you want to set off every car alarm in yopur neighbor hood!

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a good price on 3" exhaust?

Quick Reply: Is this a good price on 3" exhaust?