C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wire removal tips and dielectric grease

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 01:57 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spark plug wire removal tips and dielectric grease

Hello, does anyone have any tips for removing spark plug wires and do you use dielectric grease. Some of these wires have challenged me in the past. Thank you
Old 04-12-2024, 03:12 PM
Piersonpie
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 46 Posts

Try pulling on the boots straight out. Pulling at any sort of angle can make them much harder to remove. For really stuck ones I use a pair of spark plug wire pliers.

As for dielectric grease, I put just a small dollop on the inside of the boot before installing. It’s not necessary to make a good connection, but it helps prevent corrosion, keep moisture out, and makes the boots easier to remove if/when you need to.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:02 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, dielectric grease is NOT a good conductor of electricity.
It IS however, wonderful for keeping moisture out, controlling corrosion and acts as a lube for stubborn plug boots.

The experts do not recommend applying the grease to the terminal of the plug, but rather the ceramic portion only.

Much like tail-light bulbs, don't grease the contacts. Just the base.
Go figure?
The following 2 users liked this post by HeadsU.P.:
btwick (04-12-2024), kanvasman (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 04:08 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thank you
Old 04-13-2024, 08:25 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

The moral of the story is: Consider Dielectric Grease an automotive caulk. You are sealing out moisture, dirt, etc out of an important electrical connection such as light bulbs, plugwires.
But you would never want caulk directly on the connection.

If you have a "mis" on one cylinder and can't find a reason why, remove the plug boot and see if its jammed packed with dielectric grease.
Some Acetone on a Q-Tip should make quick work of that problem.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:29 AM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

I always give a little twist to the spark plug boot before I remove it from the plug. Breaks the seal to the porcelain. Never had any trouble.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:51 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by sunflower 1972
I always give a little twist to the spark plug boot before I remove it from the plug. Breaks the seal to the porcelain. Never had any trouble.
That is good advice!
Old 04-13-2024, 12:24 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Contrary to popular belief, dielectric grease is NOT a good conductor of electricity.
It IS however, wonderful for keeping moisture out, controlling corrosion and acts as a lube for stubborn plug boots.

The experts do not recommend applying the grease to the terminal of the plug, but rather the ceramic portion only.

Much like tail-light bulbs, don't grease the contacts. Just the base.
Go figure?
No idea where this belief that the dielectric grease is a great conductor came from or when it started, but it IS FALSE. GL
Old 04-13-2024, 01:21 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Thank you
Old 04-14-2024, 10:37 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
No idea where this belief that the dielectric grease is a great conductor came from or when it started, but it IS FALSE. GL
The source is from the same belief that the brake pedal will always be firm.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:42 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I use d-e grease in all electric connections for its lubrication and protective properties. I even put a thin coat on the contacts themselves! <gasp> I read/heard (from a d-e maker) that a well-fitting contact to contact joint will not be hindered by the extremely thin coating of grease left after they slide together. I'm also after keeping corrosion and oxidation for exposed contacts to a minimum in places like the fuse box. Lastly since it is non-conductive, arcing or crossover should be minimized. I've had no issues to date of any plugs, connectors, or switches not working.

Speaking of conductive... anyone else use copper anti-seize on their spark plug threads?

Old 04-14-2024, 09:25 PM
EmptyBank
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

So yes, dielectric grease is not a conductor but it is meant to be in electric plugs including spark plugs, all over the contacts. It’s literally the entire purpose of its existence, to be on the contacts to protect them.

You can’t protect against corrosion with dielectric grease unless it is covering the surface of the metal contact. I’m not sure where this ideas comes from that it would prevent good electrical connections.

Any good electrical connection abrades the contact surfaces every time you plug it in. It is a mechanical interference fit, electrons need that metal to metal contact, not just proximity. Any grease is forced out of place for these metal connections and fills voids that would otherwise be occupied by air or water, protecting the contacts.

Why do you think they jam pack the firewall harness bulkhead plugs full of dielectric grease? Because it protects and does not interfere with electrical contact in any way. If you were relying on air to provide an electrical pathway, you already have a bad connector.

In summary, use dielectric in your connectors on the contacts, where it belongs.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:32 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Use your favorite "search engine".
I used Bing instead of Google but it stated Dielectric Grease is not a conductor of electricity.

I too, thought it was for years & years.
Especially in taillight sockets.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 04-15-2024 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:25 PM
EmptyBank
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, dielectric grease is non-conductive, which is why it’s named “dielectric” AKA “insulator”. Its purpose is not to conduct electricity, its job is to lubricate and protect.

The below study goes in depth on dielectric grease use in the automotive industry and its benefits.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...5158308X320773

It will be paywalled, but the abstract covers the findings well. Grease on electrical contacts improves connector performance significantly in automotive applications.

This is a good open source meta analysis of electrical contact engineering: https://pvdijk.com/pdf/21thiceccriticalaspects.pdf

They go through, at a high level, how connectors on the micro scale actually work. How these microscopically rough surfaces conduct electricity and the abrasive nature of their contact. During connection, grease and oxides are abraded or displaced when the contacts “wipe” across each other. Dielectric grease is pushed out of the way of the actual conductor when you plug in the connector.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire removal tips and dielectric grease

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire removal tips and dielectric grease