C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:05 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PCV problems

Hey guys,

i started another thread here recently about oil leaks and its led me to a pretty terrifying discovery LMAO. I found some oil in my driver side side pipe not a ton but it was pretty bad while the passenger was pretty clean. Ive also been struggling with some oil leaks here, and when trying to find reasons for the leaks PCV was brought up. Now from my understanding if the PCV isn’t working properly that would cause a ton of crankcase pressure which could or would lead to my leaks, and what it could also be causing is oil to make it through the valves into the combustion chamber then my exhaust is this possible? I’m very much hoping it is because if not that then i have a whole box of expensive problems it could be. So please yall am i being hopefully delusional or could this be the case?

Thank you guys,

Air_Drewdy
Old 04-10-2024, 12:11 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Any significant oil getting past the valves would cause noticeable blue smoke and oily spark plugs.

Do you have the PCV on one valve cover and a breather hose to the air cleaner on the other? If the PCV isn't working, excess blow-by is going to go out the path of least resistance — up the breather into the air cleaner. Is the inside of your air cleaner housing oily? The PCV's job is pulling fresh air from the air cleaner through the block to the carbureter for it to be burned in the normal engine combustion. The goal is to minimize release of the oil vapor from the spinning components & fuel vapors that escape the rings (blow-by) into the atmosphere as was done up to the mid-'60s.

Oil is pretty tricky in that it spreads out extremely thinly such that a small bit can coat a large area. The volume of oil in the exhaust pipe would be pretty hard to determine unless you found puddles of it.
The following users liked this post:
Red Ryder (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 05:00 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,570 Likes on 2,757 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Oil in your exhaust pipe? As in wet oil? All the way down the full length of the exhaust and through the muffler? WOW! And..... It still runs?
Have you checked your oil level?
Do you check it often?
How much oil are you going through?
Or just maybe you are delusional ?
Old 04-10-2024, 07:23 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

John Vance (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 07:54 AM
pspicci
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

This is probably not the problem but maybe your exhaust valve guides are shot or are missing the seals. a few years ago I had oil running down my driver side head under the header tube. long story short my exhaust guides had no seals on them on the new brodix race rite heads - Brodix does not put them on the exhaust guides. oil was running down the guide into the exhaust port then leaking through the header gasket. part of the problem is the race rites pool oil in the back of the head but with no seals on the valve stems lots of oil was leaking into the port.
Pat
Old 04-10-2024, 10:45 AM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Hey guys,

here are two pics one from each side of the engine. Yes they are from different times and stuff has changed but the PCV system is the same in both. Does it look correct and like it’s set up properly? And yes i know it’s kinda crazy but i have side pipes with the least restrictive mufflers they sell so the oil doesnt have to travel far LOL. And it’s not much it was a drop or two but it also seems to be leaking out where the side pipes Slide Over the collector which leads me to believe theres a small puddle in there so its enough to really scare me here. I havent been able to measure how much ive lost since i just discovered it yesterday, but my dipstick says it isn’t much but its lower. When i did the plugs with the side pipes the old ones were a little black and the threads were a little oily. I already got a new valve so im gonna throw it in tonight. But my question here still stands could my PCV theoretically be the culprit? Or is my engine for sure really really hurt? What’s the order of operations i should do here?

thank yall,

Air_Drewdy
Old 04-10-2024, 11:00 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Changing the pcv valve should answer your question
Old 04-10-2024, 11:15 AM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
Changing the pcv valve should answer your question

That’s a fair point LOL.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Are you 100% sure it is "oil"? I bet there's condensate, and unburned gasoline, in those pipes

Smell it, but don't taste it. Drip it on a clean paper towel.

And please post more photos! This was a good start.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:02 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Are you 100% sure it is "oil"? I bet there's condensate, and unburned gasoline, in those pipes

Smell it, but don't taste it. Drip it on a clean paper towel.

And please post more photos! This was a good start.

this is what it looks like on my finger doesn’t really smell like fuel and it’s quite dark.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:20 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Condensation washing out the soot?
Bikespace (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 08:03 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by leigh1322
Condensation washing out the soot?
possibly I think I’m all good changed the pcv and drove it no new oil problems
Old 04-11-2024, 12:00 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

You may have a leaky exhaust valve seal. I had this problem on a rebuilt set of heads. I had oil all the way to the connection where exhaust connects to the mufflers. Did not burn blue. A slight grey like it was running rich. I was stumped at first, rebuilt heads with viton seals. My understanding is the oil leaking down the guide to the exhaust valve does not enter the combustion chamber but is blown out and not totally burned. So no noticeable blue smoke. I found two torn viton seals only on the exhaust valves. Replaced the seals. Problem solved. Still not happy with the rebuilder. Wasted a lot of time tracking this problem. You may have worn or no remaining seal on an exhaust valve.

Two of these viton seals were torn on two exhaust valves upon install. Oil in the exhaust. No blue smoke.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dino_'72
You may have a leaky exhaust valve seal. I had this problem on a rebuilt set of heads. I had oil all the way to the connection where exhaust connects to the mufflers. Did not burn blue. A slight grey like it was running rich. I was stumped at first, rebuilt heads with viton seals. My understanding is the oil leaking down the guide to the exhaust valve does not enter the combustion chamber but is blown out and not totally burned. So no noticeable blue smoke. I found two torn viton seals only on the exhaust valves. Replaced the seals. Problem solved. Still not happy with the rebuilder. Wasted a lot of time tracking this problem. You may have worn or no remaining seal on an exhaust valve.

Two of these viton seals were torn on two exhaust valves upon install. Oil in the exhaust. No blue smoke.
im really hoping its not that LOL do not wanna pull off the heads. But im real sorry that builder did that thats some bullshit.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Air_drewdy
im really hoping its not that LOL do not wanna pull off the heads. But im real sorry that builder did that thats some bullshit.
You do not remove the heads to change those seals.
HeadsU.P. (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 12:52 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
You do not remove the heads to change those seals.
Ohhhhhhhh my bad my bad thank you that does make me feel a bit better
Old 04-11-2024, 02:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Originally Posted by Air_drewdy
Ohhhhhhhh my bad my bad thank you that does make me feel a bit better
You either use compressed air to hold the valves in place or rope.

Get notified of new replies

To PCV problems

Quick Reply: PCV problems