C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefit of Borgeson Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 07:37 PM
rabinaba
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Torqued Off
Factory manual steering is not the horrible thing people like to make it out to be. In a parking lot,...yes, it’s a little stiff, above 10 mph it drives very very easy. Maybe a frail man, or a women, would possibly have trouble in a parking lot situation, otherwise.....the "heaviness" is about as much a commonly stated BS myth that Harley Davidsons leak.
My father used to have a ‘66 Nova that he completely rebuilt and left manual steering. You’re right, it’s not horrible, but it’s also not something I want for this car. I just want it to be easy and fun to drive.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:44 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by rabinaba
My father used to have a ‘66 Nova that he completely rebuilt and left manual steering. You’re right, it’s not horrible, but it’s also not something I want for this car. I just want it to be easy and fun to drive.
Easy and fun to drive? Borgeson, hands down. If it will fit.

@GTR1999 can make the stock steering box into a work of art, but that doesn't fix the problems of the stock power-assist steering. Mine never stopped leaking, despite replacing everything, twice. The Borgeson system cuts the number of hoses from 4 to 2, the number of moving hoses from 2 to 0, and the number of complex mechanical components from 4 to 2.

And if you think the steering is too light, there's a fix for that now, too.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:50 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroket
I would put in Steeroids R/P . So much easier in my opinion
This. Nothing beats a R/P for a tight steering feel over a steering box and a bunch of pivot points.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:06 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
This. Nothing beats a R/P for a tight steering feel over a steering box and a bunch of pivot points.
How many U-Joints are in your steering linkage?
The following users liked this post:
4-vettes (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:07 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rabinaba
This is all very good information. I very much want my car to handle like a sports car - tight/heavy steering. If the Borgeson isn’t going to offer that, then I see no point in installing it. I’ll just rebuilt the stock box.

That said, the factory power steering being “sloppy” concerns me. I’m not thrilled with how my steering wheel feels right now; it’s pretty light and vague. I attributed that to old suspension parts that need repair, and a vague steering box from the time, but now I’m concerned it might actually be the power steering. Getting rid of powering steering is not an option for me, so I’ll either have to suck it up, or figure out a solution.
As mentioned by others adding caster
will make a big improvement
Old 04-09-2024, 08:51 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
How many U-Joints are in your steering linkage?

Old 04-09-2024, 10:42 PM
Limelight68
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the Borgeson swap during a SBC (not LS) swap to fix an old leaky power assist system and sloppy OEM box. I can't attest to how a properly set up (or amazingly set up, if done by @GTR1999 ) stock box feels, but I can say that the Borgeson box feels great and sporty. I had a lot of corrosion on my 68 column and, as a result, I destroyed the lower column bearing and mushroomed the end of the shaft. No worries, it was super easy to pull the column, replace the bearing and shorten the shaft, paint it while I had it apart, and put it back in. I'd do it all again!
Old 04-09-2024, 11:03 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,606 Posts

FYI
The borgeson box is actually a Delphi 600 box.
They use 4 torrington needle bearings vs the 2 bushings and 2 ball bearings in the OEM C2/3 box.
And the control valve is the exact same type of valve that was used later in the rack-n-pinion systems.
It is a 35 year newer style part than the 1955 based gear box our cars came with. That PS design was old in '63.
A later model Jeep box is used as a core because one of them has the same long main shaft that a C3 needs.
Whether the feel is heavier or lighter than prior steering systems is still open to debate, and the reason several of us are doing some testing.
It now turns out the "heaviness" of the steering can be manipulated, if you so desire.
I would never convert a C3 to a rack-n-pinion system, until someone convinces me how it does not ruin the front suspension steering geometry.
Because just from a quick look at one, it is mounted too low, and the tie rod ends have the wrong angle,
The Delphi box is much newer steering technology. It doesn't leak. It's faster. It has as good of or can have better feel. It does not affect steering geometry.
What's not to like?

OK: It is 1/2" larger where the two cover bolts are, and that can cause interference with certain headers.

The two cover bolts intrude more and can cause header interference. Most of the rest of the physical size difference is irrelevant.

Last edited by leigh1322; 04-09-2024 at 11:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:32 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Thanks, now clear to me. And with the last scetch, I can even start measuring if this will clear the Hooker side pipe BB headers on my 68.

Brgds
Old 04-10-2024, 06:09 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,606 Posts

OCB's latest with Hedman BB headers.
It hits a stock box. It would be the same with a Borgeson in that location.
Please post your BB / Header clearance pics!

The two bolts are not the issue!
Old 04-11-2024, 05:32 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroket
I would put in Steeroids R/P . So much easier in my opinion
Easier to drive or install? I have had both.
I'll never waste money on a R/P for a street driven C3 corvette again as compared to a Borgenson which I now have . One thing I have seen is guys slap a R/P or Borgenson on a car with worn out suspension components and wonder why it still drives mediocre.

Manual feels good too along as a woman doesn't need to drive it. She will gripe. Yes I know , there are exceptions lol. I love the Borgenson feel and it's simplicity and now I see they can be tailored to ones desire but pricey.

On the Header issue probably R/P is best for fitment. But If it were me I would get the best headers raw ,cut and weld them to fit and have them ceramic coated. Thankfully my little 350 with headers isn't an issue...
Old 04-12-2024, 11:53 AM
wvleon
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Borgenson box and BB

I have the Borgenson box with my big block 1970 with Hooker super comps. The pipes are 1 7//8 ( good size for street car )
Headers slipped in without any issues, no bending, banging etc.

Quick Reply: Benefit of Borgeson Steering Box?