C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Headache. Might just abandon car

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 04:41 PM
383Strokin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Headache. Might just abandon car

1975 Coupe. Manual.
Original interior wiring harness was hacked to shreds. Installed brand new Lecteic Limited interior harness. No crank. Same condition as with the last interior harness replaced it just to eliminate the 100 possible points of failure with it. Getting battery power to my fuse block. but not able to use any accessories or crank the engine. Tried jumping the clutch sensor- no crank. Tried jumping the clutch sensor and the door sensors- no crank. I can make it turn over with a screwdriver on the starter though. New ignition switch. New headlight switch. no lights will turn on. no brake lights. no blinkers. not sure what to do….

All new fuses. Spent a day cleaning the pins and block of the original engine and accessories block, in preparation of the new interior block.

I’ve got about 20k into this car. wiring is all that’s left… But the car isn’t worth anything if it can’t start😂

Last edited by 383Strokin; 03-25-2024 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:07 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 414 Posts

Relax. Have a beer. Or two. Thats where I usually start. The good news is you don't have to drive the car tomorrow.
Grab the wiring diagram and a meter (or test light) and start following the power. Slow and methodical. You'll find the problem.
The following users liked this post:
68post (03-27-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:12 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,251 Likes on 969 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With the key in START check for 12 volts at the (purple wire) "S" terminal (the small terminal next to the block).
If no power, then trace the wire to find the problem.

The following 2 users liked this post by Peterbuilt:
Jebbysan (03-26-2024), kanvasman (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:18 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

Walk away for a few days. Then systematically go thru everythng TWICE. Starting with what Peterbuilt suggested. If the wiring is all that is left you are way ahead of most of us
Old 03-25-2024, 05:50 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

I had a problem with my fusebox. Everything looked ok, but there was a film on the terminals that stopped the continuity to the fuses. Check each terminal with a light to make sure you're actually getting power through the fuse.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:16 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,339 Likes on 3,940 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you havent said you checked or replaced the engine harness...it controls the starter..

https://www.lectriclimited.com/engine-harness-185282

Back to my catalog
Engine HarnessPart #: VIG7500MN
$304.00
  • Fits your 1975 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Add to Wishlist
Share:

Description
Tech Notes
Connects To
Video
CONNECTS TO:
- Alarm System Anti-Tamper Switch
- Backup Light Switch Connection
- Dash Harness Connection (at firewall)
- Ground (to bell housing bolt)
- Hood Ajar Switch
- Ignition Coil (on distributer)
- Oil Pressure Sending Unit
- Starter Solenoid
- Tachometer Filter Connection
- Windshield Washer Pump
- Windshield Wiper Motor
- Windshield Wiper Motor Ground Terminal
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
interpon (03-25-2024), lickahotskillet (03-25-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

It sounds as if it could be a bad ground with the lights also not working.
rdroket (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 09:30 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

If you have not replaced the engine harness.......you need to do so. The issue is probably at the firewall breakout plug.......the other likely suspect is the white ignition switch under the column.....this needs to be adjusted in the right spot or it can be like an auto trans with a poorly adjusted shifter.....hanging up between posts (gears)......
Get your test light out and follow the path.......you have no lights and no start.....so the first place to go is the Breakout plug to check power on both sides of the plug.......you may have power to the fuse box but not the right power.......in the right places......
Go slow, take your time and right what you have checked down in a notebook to keep track of where you are at......use deduction to funnel it down to the root cause......I troubleshoot industrial equipment and with Electronics I always tell people that you have to know very little about electronics to troubleshoot them if you use deduction......and process of elimination.....

Jebby
The following 2 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
BWPJS (03-26-2024), rdroket (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 05:00 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 397 Likes on 301 Posts

Maybe this might help.
When I was modding my current project an 80 Camaro (I know oh the horror) for a LS swap I removed the engine compartment wiring block from the firewall. Done with the mods I plugged it back in and managed to bend over a couple of spades so it took me a while to figure out what was wrong.
As said above a test light or a meter is your best friend.
The worst part is trying to wiggle under the dash to get at the fuse block.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:27 AM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Just because switches are new, does not mean they are good.
68post (03-27-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 11:16 AM
Varmintmist
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

FIRST.... What is in common? No start, no lights anywhere, no accessories. Lights will come on w/o the ignition. Courtesy lights will come on all of the time. So odds that it is a sw problem are less. The starter cranks when jumped so you know you are getting pwr to the starter. Best guess, you dont have power through/past the block (from OP)

If you had power through the fuse block to gnd then something would come on inside. If you see power with a test light at the block, good. Do you see power through the block? One side should be hot all of the time one fuse will feed the sw, the other side is switched power. Test light to see if you have power on the hot side. Then test to see if you have power through the fuse. If yes, then see if you have a good ground with a meter. If there is an open from the block to gnd then there ya go.
Could be wrong, but that is how I would go after it.
A test light is great, a meter is better. Cheap 15 dollar Harbor Fright is fine.
edit, also roll some sandpaper while you are pulling fuses and buff the contacts. Its 50 years old, there will be corrosion. Touch them with dielectric grease when done
Old 03-28-2024, 03:21 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Varmintmist
A test light is great, a meter is better. Cheap 15 dollar Harbor Fright is fine.
Yes it is.....Power Probe even better than that......test light is quick and dirty, easy to use but won't OHM anything......Power Probe won't OHM but checks continuity....and you can shoot power to anything you want.....to see if the circuit is broken.....from the fusebox side....

Jebby
Old 03-28-2024, 04:39 PM
jelliott25
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Yes it is.....Power Probe even better than that......test light is quick and dirty, easy to use but won't OHM anything......Power Probe won't OHM but checks continuity....and you can shoot power to anything you want.....to see if the circuit is broken.....from the fusebox side....

Jebby
Power probe is the best money I spent when I was replacing the wiring in my 75.

You've done the hard part replacing the dash harness. The engine harness and headlight harness are gravy compared to that. I would do both of those irrespective of whatever you find in your troubleshooting.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:52 PM
Varmintmist
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan

Jebby
Pretty cool. I will stick with a meter. Have a couple decades troubleshooting with one. 2 alligator clips and some wire will bring power (or gnd) wherever you want it, I might have a couple made up

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Headache. Might just abandon car

Quick Reply: Wiring Headache. Might just abandon car