C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams left me stranded 20 miles from home.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 10:30 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,335 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Default Comp Cams left me stranded 20 miles from home.

Years ago I ordered a custom billet steel solid roller from their list of lobes PDF for my 427 SBC. It was to have a sleaved on distributer gear for using common steel dizzy gear that comes with digital MSD E curve pro billet distributers. Two weeks delivery supposedly, but after 30 days and repeated phone calls I recieved a billet cam with out the sleeved on dizzy gear. They said NO problem and I could call up summit racing and get their super Polymer dizzy gear compatable with billet cams at cost.

Yesterday was a cool 50 degrees and I decided to take the vette over to my hot rod buddies house and the motor just couldn't get much heat in it maybe 150 degrees in 20 some miles. I should have disabled one of my spall fans that constantly run. So anyway on the way home I WOT ran it through the 2-3-4th gear when the motor went silent. I whipped it into "N" and coasted into a shopping area about 3/4 miles away. tried to start it while coasting and nothing in the way of spark. So in the parking lot I'm checking all the wiring and I hit the starter with the cap removed and saw NO rotation. So I called my buddy and he took me to my house to get a spare dizzy gear, some tools and a timing light. Just watched the #1 cylinder valve events with the valve cover off. Then cranked the damper to 20 degrees advance and installed the dizzy with the rotor right on #1 wire. The old vette fired up and the cap needed a minor move to get my 20 degree initial with the vacuum advance off. Then I drove home. My oil pressure gets up to 70 over 4500 rpm which you would think wouldn't be a problem except with a bad product.

Sheared off teeth!

Last edited by gkull; 03-24-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:35 PM
DWAVette
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 356 Posts

So that gear is plastic!!??
The following users liked this post:
speedreed8 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 04:49 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Polymere gear in a shear application. Not too surprising.
It's ok in compression, if supported, I wouldn't use it in a shear application.
speedreed8 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 07:50 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,338 Likes on 3,940 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Im not tryi8ng to sound like a know-it-all, AND I do rub people the wrong way because I am a know it all and a general pain in the *** and have been called a bully,but....why would you buy a plastic drive gear...seams like a bad chioice...we bitch about the plastic timing gears chevy used to use...bad idea, they stopped doing it. Muncie went to plastic drive gear on their 4 speed, we bitched about it being a bad choice....and you chose a plastic gear because Comp says its universal ? And you have a performance motor and drive it like its rented and expect plastic to last.......You should have used melonized. Sorry but I wouldnt blame Comp for this choice...Distributor Gear Materials:
  1. Cast Iron
  2. Composite (offers great life, conforms well to the mating cam gear, and is compatible with ANY camshaft gear material)
  3. Melonized or hardened steel (material that OEMs use with factory roller cams; many aftermarket distributor manufacturers use these as the default gears for their distributors)
  4. Bronze (conforms well to the mating camshaft gear and will not damage the camshaft gear, but it is a self sacrificing gear intended to be used in race applications only and should be replaced about once a year)
If you have a cast iron hydraulic or solid flat tappet cam, your distributor gear options are:
  1. Cast iron distributor gear
  2. Composite distributor gear
If you have an austempered ductile iron hydraulic or solid roller cam, your two options are:
  1. Melonized or hardened steel distributor gear
COMP

Cams recommends the composite gear because it is compatible with all camshaft gears – flat tappet, austempered cast iron cores, and billet cores. If the steel gear is not hardened, it is not compatible with either of the roller cam types.

Note: If you have an austempered core hydraulic roller cam and a .500? shaft distributor with a steel gear, verify with the manufacturer of the distributor that the steel gear they use is a melonized or hardened steel material and it will work fine.

–Tech Tip courtesy of Comp Cams
The last two sentences are what you are referring too I think. The last sentence should have steered you towards a melonixed gear
speedreed8 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Im not tryi8ng to sound like a know-it-all, AND I do rub people the wrong way because I am a know it all and a general pain in the *** and have been called a bully,but....why would you buy a plastic drive gear...seams like a bad chioice...we bitch about the plastic timing gears chevy used to use...bad idea, they stopped doing it. Muncie went to plastic drive gear on their 4 speed, we bitched about it being a bad choice....and you chose a plastic gear because Comp says its universal ? And you have a performance motor and drive it like its rented and expect plastic to last.......You should have used melonized. Sorry but I wouldnt blame Comp for this choice...Distributor Gear Materials:
  1. Cast Iron
  2. Composite (offers great life, conforms well to the mating cam gear, and is compatible with ANY camshaft gear material)
  3. Melonized or hardened steel (material that OEMs use with factory roller cams; many aftermarket distributor manufacturers use these as the default gears for their distributors)
  4. Bronze (conforms well to the mating camshaft gear and will not damage the camshaft gear, but it is a self sacrificing gear intended to be used in race applications only and should be replaced about once a year)
If you have a cast iron hydraulic or solid flat tappet cam, your distributor gear options are:
  1. Cast iron distributor gear
If you have an austempered ductile iron hydraulic or solid roller cam, your two options are:
  1. Melonized or hardened steel distributor gear
COMP

Cams recommends the composite gear because it is compatible with all camshaft gears – flat tappet, austempered cast iron cores, and billet cores. If the steel gear is not hardened, it is not compatible with either of the roller cam types.

Note: If you have an austempered core hydraulic roller cam and a .500? shaft distributor with a steel gear, verify with the manufacturer of the distributor that the steel gear they use is a melonized or hardened steel material and it will work fine.

–Tech Tip courtesy of Comp Cams
The last two sentences are what you are referring too I think. The last sentence should have steered you towards a melonixed gear
I dont know if you missed it but he had the composite gear because thats was comps solution to remedy the mistake they made on his order of the cam with the missing sleaved on distributor gear... Id feel they were at fault here too at least partially

My question is how many years (and miles) did it run for before failing? Just curious..
Old 03-26-2024, 12:41 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

The whole root of the problem is that you cheaped out 👍
Old 03-26-2024, 01:31 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

Are You using a Tach Drive Distributor ?
Old 03-26-2024, 05:07 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,338 Likes on 3,940 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

No i had read that was their suggestion. But he still went and bought it from summit that has a pile of different parts....its plastic. Never buy a plastic internal engine part or a plastic internal gun part. They will eventually fail and its going to be when you need it. MIM is the same process but in a **** metal form. Dont buy injection molded parts either. Its just a shittier version of cast parts.

I got rid of my mechanical tach drive because the suppliers went to cheap chinese plastic drives on the cables....they just kept breaking
Old 03-26-2024, 08:17 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by speedreed8
The whole root of the problem is that you cheaped out 👍
The composite gear is not cheap......it works for some and others have had the same results Gkull has......they were introduced in 2007 and I used about a half dozen of them until they started to come apart.....never used another after 2008......
Full race stuff gets bronze......street gets melonized on a billet core.......most all of my street stuff gets a standard iron gear......
Interestingly.....Ford's SB roller cams require a Melonized or hardened gear.....have forever......said right in the Motorsports catalog 20 years ago to use this if you buy this.....so this is not a new or ever newer-ish thing.

Jebby
Old 03-26-2024, 08:29 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,663 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The composite gear is not cheap......it works for some and others have had the same results Gkull has......they were introduced in 2007 and I used about a half dozen of them until they started to come apart.....never used another after 2008......
Full race stuff gets bronze......street gets melonized on a billet core.......most all of my street stuff gets a standard iron gear......
Interestingly.....Ford's SB roller cams require a Melonized or hardened gear.....have forever......said right in the Motorsports catalog 20 years ago to use this if you buy this.....so this is not a new or ever newer-ish thing.

Jebby
I have had a full solid roller high lift Comp Cam with Rhoads solid roller lifters set up in my motor since 2001, I would go thru a bronze distributer gear every 2 summers, (teeth would get thin and sloppy) since I switched to the plastic version (composite) I now on my 3rd summer and it still looks new
Old 03-26-2024, 08:44 AM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree this is a problem with Comp. They sent you the wrong cam as spec'ed. I know you wanted to get the car back together and driving but you should of demanded a new camshaft as per specs or your money back.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:42 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
I dont know if you missed it but he had the composite gear because thats was comps solution to remedy the mistake they made on his order of the cam with the missing sleaved on distributor gear... Id feel they were at fault here too at least partially

My question is how many years (and miles) did it run for before failing? Just curious..
That Composit gear is $143 now. It was the end of winter and the up coming SCCA road racing season. My block was done and I had to get it together for the points races. The 30 day delay was getting down to crunch time and to send it back would feasably add another 30 days which I couldn't do. I wasn't going to run bronze and comp cams said at cost so I bought 3. Good thing because they seem to last about 4 to 5 years being swapped in and out of motors. My new 434 probably needs thinner oil because it's so cool now.

It was just forgetful on the cam grinders part who didn't read the full order about the billet steel cam with a sleaved on gear. They wanted to recieve that wrong cam back before they would make and send me another. The two broken gears have been 4-5 years apart

Billet steel 252/256 @ .050 .685 inch intake .714 exhaust with Dart 227cc full race ported 2.10 intake valves 1.625 exhaust. Composit gear and Crane cams utra pro solid roller lifters

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...RoCh2oQAvD_BwE

augiedoggy (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 01:00 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Did the oil pump screen catch all the shrapnel from that dizzy gear on your drive home?
Old 03-26-2024, 05:43 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Did the oil pump screen catch all the shrapnel from that dizzy gear on your drive home?
I'm just going to change the oil and filter

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Cams left me stranded 20 miles from home.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams left me stranded 20 miles from home.