C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Hotrodder

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 01:10 AM
Old Hotrodder
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Old Hotrodder

Finally finished the rear suspension rebuild. After I install the Wilwood brakes, I need to buy 6 tires. BF Goodrich 245/60 & 275/60 on the factory rally wheels and either 275/60 DOT's or 28-10.50 slicks for the track. I have the wheel from the spare that matches but I need one more. Where would be my best chance of finding one genuine factory 15x8 corvette rim? What would be the going price for such a rim? Everybody has aftermarket rallies, but most don't have the correct back spacing (4 inches). I test fitted a pair of my friends 28-10.50s on my rims and they are tight, but do-able(I have offset trailing arms). I'm afraid any change in back spacing will be a problem.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:21 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

For the most part I have skipped using Craigs or Ebay looking for used C3 parts.

If you or you have a friend on Facebook, try Facebook Market.
Under the vehicle category you can find all kinds of parts using the search box (upper left corner).
You can also determine the mileage you are willing to travel to purchase or inspect any sales.
You can also conduct a private conversation with the seller about the condition of item.

Update:
Just found a whole set of C3 wheels for $175 in Ohio. One rim has a bad spot.
But you get the idea, they are out there.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-16-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:40 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

You might try putting a "want to buy" (WTB) post in the CF C-3 "parts for sale section".....
Old 03-16-2024, 09:02 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 121 Posts

If you want a genuine factory 15x8 corvette rim and don't mind making one phone call, try Gee's Auto sales. An excellent source for Corvette parts.

I spoke to Gale who is great to work with. Yes, they ship. Just be very specific on what you need.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:54 PM
Old Hotrodder
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C3 rotor run-out

I'm replacing the brake system in my 73. Would like advice on correcting run-out. I'm starting with the front because the rear has new 4130 spindles w/.0015 EP & new slotted rotors from Duntov. They shouldn't be a problem (but they'll get checked). The front hubs have new Timkin bearings w/ .002 EP. I marked one stud and torqued the rotor, set the dial indicator to zero at the outer edge from that stud, and took a reading. Removed the nuts, rotated one hole clockwise, and repeated, setting zero at the marked stud. Did this for all five holes, marking the high spot on each. What I ended up with was the high spot being almost dead across from hole that was used on the marked stud. The worst was .006, the two adjacent studs across from it were .004, and the two that were in between those three were ,005 & .0055.
First, did I do this correctly. And if I did, what amount of correction do I need and where? I cleaned the hub w/Scotchbrite pad before any measurements.

Get notified of new replies

To Old Hotrodder

Quick Reply: Old Hotrodder