C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 11:01 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by airframer84
Just replaced mine on a 78, went to autozone. They have a warranty.
Autozone is where I originally bought the rebuild kits for my original calipers..
I will point out my experience. I think if you live in a cold climate where its freezing I believe the moisture in the brake fluid might actually cause the fluid to partially freeze or expand causing leaking over the winter. I seen it a couple times over the last 12 years or so on my car and when I see the dribble down the inside of the tire or on the floor I pump the brakes a couple times and the leak stops again not sure if its surface rust on unsleeved calipers or some type of expansion but you wouldnt think pumping the brakes would seal it back up for the rest of the driving season if it was rust. Ive only seen this happen like twice in the spring after sitting all winter in the garage.
I have not yet seen it on my 2 aftermarket replacement calipers for what thats worth.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:36 AM
airframer84
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Autozone is where I originally bought the rebuild kits for my original calipers..
I will point out my experience. I think if you live in a cold climate where its freezing I believe the moisture in the brake fluid might actually cause the fluid to partially freeze or expand causing leaking over the winter. I seen it a couple times over the last 12 years or so on my car and when I see the dribble down the inside of the tire or on the floor I pump the brakes a couple times and the leak stops again not sure if its surface rust on unsleeved calipers or some type of expansion but you wouldnt think pumping the brakes would seal it back up for the rest of the driving season if it was rust. Ive only seen this happen like twice in the spring after sitting all winter in the garage.
I have not yet seen it on my 2 aftermarket replacement calipers for what thats worth.
This right here, I’ve had C3 for 2 years now this past winter here in Florida it got cold and that is exactly what happened to me. My passenger caliber leaked when it was cold. I read on here that is an issue so I bought a new one, no leaks yet.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:29 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
You guys are making a good point. BLEED your brakes.

If you have not bled your brakes in let’s say 3 years, you need to. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. The water in the system is not good. As mentioned, it causes your calipers to leak. Especially if your car sits all winter.
It can also decrease the boiling point of the fluid. Not good if you’re a high-performance driver. (Time Trials and HPDE).

And your calipers are not the only thing rusting. Think of your steel brake lines.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:24 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
I would think the real difference here between Zip and Ecklers would be.
If Zip says they have them in stock. They do.
If Ecklers says they have them in stock, it's truly a crap shoot.
Once upon a time I purchased a fair amount from Ecklers. But in the last 15 years or so they have really slipped.
They are certainly not my go to anymore.
And I will add, with certainty. When I Email Zip with a question of, "where do you source this part" they get back to me promptly and actually answer honestly.
I live about 20 miles from ecklers and I order stuff from just about everybody else. They went downhill ever since Ralph Ecklers got forced out of his own company. I dealt with him back in the 70s.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
If you have not bled your brakes in let’s say 3 years, you need to. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. The water in the system is not good. As mentioned, it causes your calipers to leak. Especially if your car sits all winter.
It can also decrease the boiling point of the fluid.
<ahem> DOT 5
Old 03-27-2024, 04:35 PM
airframer84
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also live in Florida and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from Ecklers. Variety of reasons but mainly they suck. Lost a seat track and wouldn’t refund me, sold my something they didn’t have again and refused to refund me. Buy from anyone else, Van steel is legit.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:42 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by 67:72
<ahem> DOT 5

There is a very good chance that any brake parts ordered in 2024 will come with a warning against using DOT 5.

But the OP should find out soon enough.
The following users liked this post:
augiedoggy (03-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Replacing Calipers