C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Hatch Vette question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 04:49 PM
fvetaas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Hatch Vette question

Hi guys, greetings from Norway.
I recently acquired a 1978 Corvette (Silver anniversary, but got painted in 2007 when leaving the US) where the rear hatch opens.
After reading some of the posts here on the forum, I think this is a Cars & Concepts kit, where the hinges are chrome and not blacked out as on the 82 CEs with this hatch option.

If one would have to guess, how many non-CE's are rolling with these aftermarket hatch vette kits?

Also - the wood trim surrounding the instrument cluster and center console is some kind of veneer wood grain, with plexiglass or plastic cover on top.
Have any of you seen this kind of aftermarket trim before, or is this some kind of factory option?

Appreciate any comments and answers.

/Frankie
Old 03-08-2024, 05:01 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,577 Likes on 2,761 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I couldn't begin to guess how many 78-81 cars have this aftermarket rear window hinge kit. I've never seen one in real life. If it seals well I would think it would be very nice to have.
As per the woodgrain kit on your console and dash. Yes I've seen kits like that for sale for many years. Some people think it looks really nice.
that is a matter of taste however.
The following users liked this post:
fvetaas (03-09-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:42 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 803 Likes on 551 Posts

Nice looking car. I wish my 78 had that rear hatch. I would suggest you take very good care of it. There aren’t many around and I would guess replacement parts would be very difficult to find. That is sad because it really makes the car more “user friendly”. And as said the veneer is aftermarket and they come in different colors/woodgrains etc. i actually have a carbon fiber one sitting on the shelf because I went a different direction.
The following 2 users liked this post by kanvasman:
fvetaas (03-09-2024), JavaJolt78 (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 04:26 AM
fvetaas
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
I couldn't begin to guess how many 78-81 cars have this aftermarket rear window hinge kit. I've never seen one in real life. If it seals well I would think it would be very nice to have.
As per the woodgrain kit on your console and dash. Yes I've seen kits like that for sale for many years. Some people think it looks really nice.
that is a matter of taste however.
Yes, the seals are still holding up, The only leak I have are from the t-tops.
The hatch is nice to have, but im dead afraid to ruin something - as spareparts are near impossible to obtain 😅
​​​​
Old 03-09-2024, 04:54 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,577 Likes on 2,761 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sounds normal, most have a leak or 2 at the T tops. Rear window, well that's totally aftermarket. Spare parts don't exist period. You would have to have a part custom made. Yes, don't abuse that rear hatch!
fvetaas (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 05:01 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm very envious of that opening rear window!😄 We take quite a few long trips in our '78 and on be of the biggest disadvantages is having to get a suitcase into the rear without damaging the seats, interior trim, or my back!😱

But I can understand your concerns about breakages! I'd be looking at some sort of product to use on the seals to maintain them as well. Out of interest, how is the release activated?

That looks a slightly neater wood veneer option that some on the market, which are thicker. Definitely a "love or hate" thing - I quite like them, my wife can't tolerate them!😄
fvetaas (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 06:05 AM
fvetaas
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
I'm very envious of that opening rear window!😄 We take quite a few long trips in our '78 and on be of the biggest disadvantages is having to get a suitcase into the rear without damaging the seats, interior trim, or my back!😱

But I can understand your concerns about breakages! I'd be looking at some sort of product to use on the seals to maintain them as well. Out of interest, how is the release activated?

That looks a slightly neater wood veneer option that some on the market, which are thicker. Definitely a "love or hate" thing - I quite like them, my wife can't tolerate them!😄
Yeah, Im siding your wife regarding the wood trim 😁

Took some closeups of the hatch release:

​​​

And also, here are some of the wood trim.
Will try to sell theese if they come off in one pice.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:42 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Forum member red69 has a 79 with the opening hatch. You may want to check with him. Personally I always thought the were a bad idea. Too easy to damage the paint lifting stuff in and out.
fvetaas (03-11-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 08:59 AM
JavaJolt78
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

WOW I have a 78 SA and would love to have one installed on mine..
Soooooo wth can one be purchased????

JJ78
fvetaas (03-11-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 12:00 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
Forum member red69 has a 79 with the opening hatch. You may want to check with him. Personally I always thought the were a bad idea. Too easy to damage the paint lifting stuff in and out.
I think any Corvette rear hatch comes with that risk in a way. Some So-Cal friends of mine use a blanket or similar laid over the rear of the car when loading their Vettes. I'd still go for that over heaving a suitcase into the rear over the seat etc.😄
fvetaas (03-11-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fvetaas
Yeah, Im siding your wife regarding the wood trim 😁

Took some closeups of the hatch release:

​​​

And also, here are some of the wood trim.
Will try to sell theese if they come off in one pice.

Ha! - I'll pass that on to my wife, she thinks she's the only one😄
The release mechanism looks good and a neat "almost factory" look.
fvetaas (03-11-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 12:29 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 79 with the Cars and Concepts rear hatch kit installed. When I bought the car 15 years ago the PO gave me some documents authenticating the kit and how it came about. From what I was told, C&C developed the kit as a prototype for GM who was planning on offering it as an option on future C-3 models. It did come about with the 82 CE model and the next generation Corvette had hatch rear glass as a standard feature. My model 79 does not have the wood accents, but also has a retractable sunshade under the glass. From what I was told, the kit became available in late 78, so your car must be among the first to have it installed. If you have any questions I can help with, PM or email me.
kanvasman (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 12:57 PM
RickM Z06
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 145 Posts

Does the defroster work on your car? Hard to tell but see what appears to be 1 wire at the right hinge. Shouldn't there be a power wire and a ground?
Having a window that lifts sure would be handy.
fvetaas (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 01:29 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JavaJolt78
WOW I have a 78 SA and would love to have one installed on mine..
Soooooo wth can one be purchased????

JJ78
ONLY way to get one is watch Ebay for HatchVette kits (there are some still out there uninstalled) OR the parts off a wrecked 82CE
Old 03-11-2024, 02:17 PM
fvetaas
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RickM Z06
Does the defroster work on your car? Hard to tell but see what appears to be 1 wire at the right hinge. Shouldn't there be a power wire and a ground?
Having a window that lifts sure would be handy.
I haven't tested it other than flicking the toggle. I heard a relay click, and the heater light came on - so something is powering up. Will test it further as soon as the car is out of storage. 👍

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Hatch Vette question

Quick Reply: 1978 Hatch Vette question