C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug boots with Hooker long tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 12:52 PM
Kevman72GT6
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Spark plug boots with Hooker long tubes

I'm still ironing out some issues on my L-48 revitalization, one thing I noticed since the rebuild (Edelbrock aluminum heads,) and Hooker long tubes, is that the boot of the MSD plugs is resting right on the header, even with the short Accel plugs. On the stock heads, I was able to use standard plugs (AC Delco) and the same plug wires, but these are going to melt.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2024, 01:18 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,901 Likes on 2,566 Posts

90 degree boots? Pics?

Jebby
Old 02-13-2024, 02:06 PM
Kevman72GT6
Instructor

I guess they're Hedman headers... oops.

Old 02-13-2024, 02:18 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,901 Likes on 2,566 Posts

I run the same headers with a Taylor 73051 cut your own set......the Taylor 90 degree boots appear to be much shorter in profile than the MSD.....although I have never measured them......

Jebby
Old 02-13-2024, 02:35 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,663 Posts

That's not good. That's not good at all.
Those silicone boots will handle a lot of heat, but not like that, direct contact.

Put a sock on it.
Click on my avatar and look for my build photo album.
I believe I bought Moroso sparkplug socks.
They come in sets of four, different colors, a little pricey, but will slip over the silicone boot.
They also come too long for my taste, so I cut the four in half and now have eight.

Look around on Summit for socks. They should save your boots from frying.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:26 AM
Kevman72GT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
That's not good. That's not good at all.
Those silicone boots will handle a lot of heat, but not like that, direct contact.

Put a sock on it.
Click on my avatar and look for my build photo album.
I believe I bought Moroso sparkplug socks.
They come in sets of four, different colors, a little pricey, but will slip over the silicone boot.
They also come too long for my taste, so I cut the four in half and now have eight.

Look around on Summit for socks. They should save your boots from frying.
I just ordered some on Amazon, I may even use them where the wire crosses near the header.

Thanks!!

Also the MSD wires were on the engine before the rebuild, I highly recommend them, I used to buy only Taylor wires but had a bad experience with a few sets, and haven't gone back since.
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 08:52 AM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevman72GT6
I just ordered some on Amazon, I may even use them where the wire crosses near the header.

Thanks!!

Also the MSD wires were on the engine before the rebuild, I highly recommend them, I used to buy only Taylor wires but had a bad experience with a few sets, and haven't gone back since.
Not a huge fan of buying stuff like that on Amazon. TBH there is a lot of fakes and forgeries being sold of everything on Amazon anymore.

With that said something with ceramic boots is the best with how close that is. We used a set of Accel 9000 ceramic booted universal plug wire sets for my brothers 68. They work OK. Some of the tangs inside the ceramic boot didn’t give a very positive click on the end of the plug. Had to pinch 3-4 of them down alittle (had to reach in with a pick and push down against the ceramic) to get a positive feel. Other than that they’ve been ok.

I would definitely put a ceramic booted plug wire on there though.
beatlescott (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:04 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevman72GT6
I guess they're Hedman headers... oops.

That will never work. you need to get shorter plugs( i see you already have the shorter accel plugs) and tighter boots or different heads(angle plug) and different headers. IMO, you need at least a 1/2" clearance between header and wires. Tighter fitting boots is the quick fix here! But I think you will still have issue with heat.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:17 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,352 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Accel plugs are NOT enough shorter to matter I did a post on them. But anyway, those headers were made for angle plug heads. You can take the headers to a tig welder and they cut off the pimary tube and or tubes and add 1/2 - 3/4 inches of pipe. Or you buy 3/8th header flanges and use it to space out the headers.

If your heads are aluminum you should be using Exhaust studs so you never strip out you head threads. AFR heads are notorius for having to dent one or two tubes for spark plug wires. the angle plug spark plug holes are in a bad location compared to Dart and Brodix.

Bikespace (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 11:06 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Accel plugs are NOT enough shorter to matter I did a post on them. But anyway, those headers were made for angle plug heads. You can take the headers to a tig welder and they cut off the pimary tube and or tubes and add 1/2 - 3/4 inches of pipe. Or you buy 3/8th header flanges and use it to space out the headers.

If your heads are aluminum you should be using Exhaust studs so you never strip out you head threads. AFR heads are notorius for having to dent one or two tubes for spark plug wires. the angle plug spark plug holes are in a bad location compared to Dart and Brodix.

WOW that's barely a 1/4" difference. i thought it would be more. Let's see if we can gain some clearance using a tighter 90°boot.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:28 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1Hotrodz
WOW that's barely a 1/4" difference. i thought it would be more. Let's see if we can gain some clearance using a tighter 90°boot.
They aren't even a 1/4 inch difference which would be .250. It's something like .130 or about an 1/8th inch.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:10 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,167 Likes on 1,663 Posts

What gkull is referring to in post 9 is a spacer made exactly like the header flange that fits the head.
Usually stainless, all the exhaust ports line-up as does the bolt holes for SBC.
And usually 1/4 to 3/8 thick, used for special header "fitment issues".

The drawbacks are: another set of gaskets are needed. Longer header bolts required.
And you double your chances of a header flange leak.
A spacer would help, but I believe there are some other options.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:29 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
What gkull is referring to in post 9 is a spacer made exactly like the header flange that fits the head.
Usually stainless, all the exhaust ports line-up as does the bolt holes for SBC.
And usually 1/4 to 3/8 thick, used for special header "fitment issues".

The drawbacks are: another set of gaskets are needed. Longer header bolts required.
And you double your chances of a header flange leak.
A spacer would help, but I believe there are some other options.
I've done the 3/8th thick flange, ARP header studs, and used the felpro blue steel header gaskets without a problem. I've also used the more like 1/2 inch Morroso header adapters so you can run bigger diameter primary pipes on an SBC.

The most invasive was cutting all the primary tubes on a band saw and then TIG welding about 1/2 to 3/4 inch pipes to space the headers farther outboard and then barley clearing the steering box. Which required heat wrapping those primary tubes near the box.
HeadsU.P. (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 12:33 PM
Kevman72GT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkull
I've done the 3/8th thick flange, ARP header studs, and used the felpro blue steel header gaskets without a problem. I've also used the more like 1/2 inch Morroso header adapters so you can run bigger diameter primary pipes on an SBC.

The most invasive was cutting all the primary tubes on a band saw and then TIG welding about 1/2 to 3/4 inch pipes to space the headers farther outboard and then barley clearing the steering box. Which required heat wrapping those primary tubes near the box.
When I had it on the stand, I had lots of room, which is why prior to sending the headers out for ceramic, I didn't worry. Infact, the stock AC Delco plugs fit perfectly fine, with room. I even used the thick gaskets from RemFlex, so they're already over 1/4"!

Of course, after you get it in, you find these issues.

I'm planning on getting it going for this year, and adding the studs in the winter. I've already got a ton of time and money into this rebuild and 2004R swap, so I'll use the heat boots for now, and fix it all then.

I'll ask my exhaust guy if he can add a spacer flange, maybe 3/8" so I can fit something better.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:59 PM
wwiiavfan
Drifting

Received 455 Likes on 312 Posts

I’d also get some longer wires, so you can rotate those boots for best clearance.
Unless you have slack you can rob from elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:01 PM
Kevman72GT6
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
I’d also get some longer wires, so you can rotate those boots for best clearance.
Unless you have slack you can rob from elsewhere.
That's a good point too, I didn't even think of that, probably the easiest fit tbh. I'll still need the heat boots, but it'll be a little further away.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:30 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 367 Likes on 255 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

I'm running Hedman also, but with angle plug AFR's. I also run my wires above the headers on a loom and have no fitment issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug boots with Hooker long tubes

Old 02-14-2024, 11:11 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I use these. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...448rLpMI5IoXLI
They are significantly smaller than the standard MSD boots.

Tom
Old 02-15-2024, 09:21 AM
Stormin_Normin
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 125 Posts

I’m running MSD header wires, they are working really well.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:54 AM
gkull
Team Owner

These are some of the best wires made for higher power ignition systems. My vettes only wires!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-79230

Installing my refreshed 396 stroker SBC with 409 wires

Quick Reply: Spark plug boots with Hooker long tubes