C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 08:48 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out?

While I got it out, what else do I need to do?

I am definitely going to change the clutch (Centerforce DF), hoses, belt, water pump, motor mounts (?).

What else do I need to be thinking about?
Old 01-25-2003, 08:57 PM
princeRed72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out? (hudman)

Look at having the radiator checked and replacing all the foam around the fan shroud, change the vacuum lines for the headlights, wipers,etc. Detail the engine compartment, ie cleaning and paint. I did the same thing to my 72 and it was worth it.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:07 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out? (princeRed72)

Roller bearing!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out? (hudman)

If you have ever considered a hotter cam now is the time to replace it and a new timing set

Clean and paint the engine compartment

Like the other member said, replace vac hoses to the headlights.

Not sure if your year has the insulation on the underside of the hood, if so get a new one.

Are your control arm bushings in good shape ?

Have fun
Old 01-26-2003, 03:23 AM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Harmonic balancer!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:39 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

When my BB goe in, all the engine recomendations will already be done. Cam, timing chain & balance---along with a bunch of other goodies. :D Once the old engine is out, I'll:

1. clean & paint the bay
2. put in a new brake distribution valve (my fittings are frozen)
3. swap in BB springs
4. remove radiator & have it re-cored.
5. finish the SS brake lines on the front.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:14 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out? (1970 Stingray)

If you need to repair or restore anything in the steering system, or if you're upgrading it to a Steeroids system, do it now! It's infinitely easier to sit on the front crossmember and leasurely repair/restore your power steering with the engine out of it than having to do it later with the engine in place.

Another thing you might want to seriously consider is some kind of heat reflection insulation on the firewall. Remember how hot your feet get in the summertime? You could either insulate it inside or outside, but it helps to have both. This is a good opportunity while the engine's out of the way.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out? (MoMo)

If you got BB and headers: Check and rebuild the steering-box.
Now or next engine pull...
ZIP has all the parts you need.
ZIP

Good luck!

[Modified by Lasse, 1:28 PM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-27-2003, 08:11 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All of the above posts have good ideas but if there was one thing I should have done with the engine out it's rebuilding the heater box. You can't imagine what a PITA that is with the engine in the car. With the engine out it's fairly simple to remove the box, replace the seals, and put it back in. If you're wiring harness is shot you might also think about replacing this. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out?

Quick Reply: If I pull the engine for a rebuild, what else do I need to do while it is out?