C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 No Fuel from injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 05:32 PM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C3 No Fuel from injectors

Hi All,

I bought a 1982 C3 Corvette in the UK. Couldn’t resit it at an auction. Picked it up on a trailer and was so filled with excitement didn’t even check if it started. It said in the auction notes that it did. However got it home and eagerly put the booster pack on it but sadly it just turned over but didn’t fire up. My young Son watchingf his Dad use his basic knowledge of cars to NOT get it started. So I’ve quickly subscribed to see if someone has the patience to help a limited DIY’er get this beast fired up.

So far I have discovered I have fuel to The injectors but using a NOD I have no signal going to the injectors. If I pour fuel in manually it does fire up.

Therefore I think that magic signal is not going to the injectors to make them work.

i wonder if the ECM is getting power and is indeed working at all.

i’ve also read on the forum that you can put a paper clip in pins one and two. But I’m not sure how I can tell if the ECM is working.

Any guidance in getting to the next stage would be hugely appreciated.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by OverthePond
Hi All,

I bought a 1982 C3 Corvette in the UK. Couldn’t resit it at an auction. Picked it up on a trailer and was so filled with excitement didn’t even check if it started. It said in the auction notes that it did. However got it home and eagerly put the booster pack on it but sadly it just turned over but didn’t fire up. My young Son watchingf his Dad use his basic knowledge of cars to NOT get it started. So I’ve quickly subscribed to see if someone has the patience to help a limited DIY’er get this beast fired up.

So far I have discovered I have fuel to The injectors but using a NOD I have no signal going to the injectors. If I pour fuel in manually it does fire up.

Therefore I think that magic signal is not going to the injectors to make them work.

i wonder if the ECM is getting power and is indeed working at all.

i’ve also read on the forum that you can put a paper clip in pins one and two. But I’m not sure how I can tell if the ECM is working.

Any guidance in getting to the next stage would be hugely appreciated.
Welcome to the wonderful world of CROSSFIRE INJECTION! Your problem is very common and be a number of things actually. The very FIRST thing I will suggest to you is to purchase a 82 GM service manual.This manual is worth its weight in gold and has a wealth of information in it on how to troubleshoot your 82 corvette. Before you start going nuts trying to fix it, let's do some basic things...You have fuel to the injectors, but no spray. The injectors could be bad or just stuck from sitting in bad fuel for a period of time. Take a 9v battery and press it onto the injector pins on top. can you hear them clicking? If so, that's a good sign. The next is, when you turn the key to the ON position, not starting it, does the Check Engine Light come ON at all? If not, here is your next move. Have a look at the 20 amp fuse in the right back corner in the battery box. Is it blown or corroded? If so replace, clean or both. If those are good and you still do not have a CEL at key ON, you may have a dead ECM. If so, I can help you.

Anyway, get the manual. You can thank me later on that. You can find them on eBay. GL and welcome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Buccaneer:
interpon (01-09-2024), kanvasman (01-03-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:14 AM
panther-19
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Buccaneer will lead you in the correct direction for that cross fire problem. Ask him about the fuel pressure gauge setup he has too. I had an 82CE a few years ago which he guided me through getting it running.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:32 AM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

You are in good hands so I will just add a minimal amount of info.

1 check all fuses
2 check for power at the injectors
3 check for loose wires and that all connectors are hooked up

If the above and this info is all good then I will let Buccaneer take over.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:01 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

Check for blown injector fuses
Old 01-05-2024, 05:06 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Odd, no reply. Here is the fuses to look at and location.

The following users liked this post:
interpon (01-09-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 01:34 AM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bonesbrakr
You are in good hands so I will just add a minimal amount of info.

1 check all fuses
2 check for power at the injectors
3 check for loose wires and that all connectors are hooked up

If the above and this info is all good then I will let Buccaneer take over.
I’ll second #3. Different beast but years ago on a crossfire Camaro I saw the same behavior, the culprit was a connector under the steering column that had a melted/corroded connection at one of the wires.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:02 AM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Default Crossfire Injection

Hello all, thank you all for your input. Sorry for the radio silence. New to corvettes and forums!! Still learning how to drive the Forum!!

OK - I have put a 9V battery on both injector and can confirm we hear the little click on both.

Checked the 20amp fuse at the back of the battery and it’s good.

I’ve got a manual on order via a friend in the USA because the seller did not want to ship international. Until that arrives you guys are everything..

Turn on the ignition and get no lights between the rev counter and Speedo at all.

Currently trying to find the fuse box!! And will look to check the fuses you recommended looking at.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:37 AM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Default Crossfire Injection!

We found the fuse box under the dash. Checked the injector fuses and they are good. However feeling a bit dumb that I’ve raced off to Injector issues when I don’t even have an Ignition light!!

As I’ve never started or driven this car I’m wondering if there maybe some basic alarm system.

So embarrassing question but on a Stock Corvette. Do you just turn the key and go or is there a Spitfire style sequence of things you need to do first.

There is a small round switch under the steering column with a red LED. This could be an add on. Tried it both ways and still no ignition lights on.
Lestat52 (01-12-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:16 AM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Default Crossfire Injection

Just reminded myself that she did fire up when I poured fuel in directly onto the valves underneath the injectors so I do have fuel pumping a spark and ignition so does that mean I’m coming back round to the ECM being dead? the red battery light is on and obviously the engine is cranking over but I am assuming that squares in between the rev counter and Speedo are indicator. What can I try next?
Old 01-07-2024, 10:47 AM
bonesbrakr
Pro

How did you confirm you are getting fuel to the throttle bodies?
Is the fuse for the ECM good?
Did you check all the fuses in the fuse panel?
Did you use a volt meter and check both sides of the fuses with them installed?
Do you hear the fuel pump running when you try to start the car?
Did you do a continuity check between the injectors and the ECM?
Do you have voltage at the injectors?

If you do not have a volt meter it would be a good tool to have with any EFI system.

Also found a Youtube video with a simple search. Are you sure all your rubber hoses are good?

Old 01-07-2024, 11:37 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

OK, well you have eliminated a few things, but does the yellow, CHECK ENGINE light (CEL) on the gauge panel come ON at all when you turn the ignition to the ON position? If not, and the bulb is OK, the ECM has an issue or wiring. The red light you are talking about on the bottom of the steering column does not exist on a stock 82 and was added by someone for something, which can be another issue? If you put some gas down the TBs and it fires, you have narrowed it down even further as a fuel delivery issue.

The vid is pretty good and brings up a couple of good points. One, the pump sender assembly should come right out and that one was way off center which tells me that at some point in its life, someone has dropped the tank and did not get it lined back up in the center of the hole in the fiberglass. This makes it a challenge if not impossible at times to get the assemble out without re-dropping the tank or at least re-shifting the tank. Two, if you do remove the sender assembly, ALL the small hoses (3) need to be replaced and they ARE a PITA to remove and install. Also, done , but not mentioned is the install of the new small hose from the pump to the sender. This is important even if it looks OK. If the hose happens to be old and you leave it on the assembly and it cracks, you will be chasing your tail around trying to figure out why your engine is not working properly. Just a word to the wise, replace that hose and if not supplied with the pump, replace with fuel hose, not just regular rubber hose. Three, not mentioned in the vid, but needs to be replaced is the rubber, eight hole tank gasket if you pull the assembly and ensure that ALL eight mount bolts have a rubber o-ring on them. The o-ring is to seal the bolts so that they don't leak fuel.

One last suggestion since it is rather important and not mentioned in the vid. Once you get it running, it is important to know what the fuel pressure is on your engine. CFI is very fuel pressure sensitive and balance, but that's a whole other topic. The correct GM range is 9-13psi measured in-between the TBs, but in my long experience with CFI, 13psi is the magic number to achieve if you want the engine to run at its max potential and performance. Glad you are getting the manual and will be a great asset for you in the future along with this forum. GL and let us know how it goes.
interpon (01-09-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 04:32 PM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Default 82 Corvette ECM?

Hi,

I had fuel pumping if I removed the Tube to the injectors. Currently have no way of checking the pressure however it did seem significant.

i’ve checked the ECM fuse which was quite a challenge until I removed the driver seat and shoved my son down there upside down.

When you ask about the CEL light, where is it. I’m confident it is not coming on whenever it is. I’m guessing it should be between the Speedo and Rev counter but if you could confirm that please. So I think I’m getting nothing from the ECM. Is there a way I can bench test it? Or do you suggest some other tests first.

i am pretty good with a Multimeter but don’t know what I’m looking for.

I have a red battery light that comes on, the engine cranks some of the other dials come on too but the ECM is not telling the injectors to fire. I have tested that a Ground goes to the injectors. I put a NOD light on both the injectors and cranked the engine no Flashing LED. I don’t know how to check if the ECM is alive. I wish there was an LED on it. Maybe I could fit one!

Yes I thought the LED under the wheel near the light vacuum is after market, thank you for confirming that. Some wires have been cut and spliced put this in, think I will leave it in place for a bit longer. More things to test please?

We are learning, We’ve even worked out how to remove the ignition key and also things seem to make more sense if my Son plays Bo Diddley on his iPhone.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:34 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 362 Likes on 250 Posts

Search "Checking codes w/ paper clip"
Old 01-08-2024, 05:27 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum OverthePond! We welcome you to the Wacky World Of CORVETTES!!

It is always an exciting time when you first get a Corvette but slow down, take your time and do things methodically. This will help you save money and plan your work sessions more effectively.

Getting the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your particular year is really important as it has the best and most accurate information. Don't buy anything BUT the FSM for your Corvette. I have tried the various alternative shop manuals and found them lacking the detail you need to work on a Car like these. I have 2 Corvettes and I have the FSM's for each of them. The FSM's are around $100 (U.S.) in hard copy or you can buy a DVD from ROCKAUTO.com for about $40.

You are fortunate to have experts on the CFI like Buccaneer helping you. The CFI system is a great design and it is a shame that it had such a short life.

One thing to be careful of, replace the inexpensive "wearable" parts before going for the ECM right away. I have a 1988 C4 that would not run and it was all because of a single corroded connection. Start at the simple parts and work your way up the line to the more complicated items. I often suggest that new Corvette owners keep a notebook or some kind of list of things they find that need attention on the Corvette. Just remember that you have a very "unique" Corvette and that will likely require you to learn lots about these cars.

Once you get your Corvette running and cruising on the highways "over the pond" you will likely get the "Corvette Smile" with the prerequisite Bugs in your smile. There are few things as fun as driving a Corvette of a curvy road at a brisk pace. At our house we have Good weather and Bad weather Corvettes, the good weather Convertible is my favorite but having air conditioning in the summer is awfully nice so I will stay with.

I hope this experience is a good one for you and I also hope that you get many Miles/ Kilometers of Smiles while driving your beautiful Corvette.

Best Regards,
Chris McCloskey

P.S. Before priming the throttle bodies with gasoline be sure to have a big Fire Extinguisher nearby. I keep a small extinguisher in each Corvette and a couple Big ones in my garage. As beautiful as Corvettes are they unfortunately BURN very nicely. Be careful but most Importantly BE SAFE!

interpon (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:01 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

From post #12, first sentence.
OK, well you have eliminated a few things, but does the yellow, CHECK ENGINE light (CEL) on the gauge panel come ON at all when you turn the ignition to the ON position?
Did you get that GM service manual yet?
Old 01-09-2024, 04:07 PM
OverthePond
6th Gear

Default Good advice

Good advice, I don’t know who’s more eager to hear it fire me or my Son. But he’s definitely looking to Dad to get this thing fired up.

I’m reluctant to let some expect get the Hero Status so come on Buccaneer what’s next? 😂

Unfortunately I think it will be another week or more before I get the GM Manual…

I will be breaking out my best Tea bags if a get this monster to fire…
Old 01-09-2024, 05:43 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OverthePond
Good advice, I don’t know who’s more eager to hear it fire me or my Son. But he’s definitely looking to Dad to get this thing fired up.

I’m reluctant to let some expect get the Hero Status so come on Buccaneer what’s next? 😂

Unfortunately I think it will be another week or more before I get the GM Manual…

I will be breaking out my best Tea bags if a get this monster to fire…
Well, if you can call me, that would probably be better. The manual will help a lot on the troubleshooting. Not getting a Check Engine light on the top, center gauge panel with the key in the ON position and the fuse in battery box good, pretty much points to a bad ECM, but it could be something else. Number... +1-480-269-1327 if you want to call.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:22 PM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Well, if you can call me, that would probably be better. The manual will help a lot on the troubleshooting. Not getting a Check Engine light on the top, center gauge panel with the key in the ON position and the fuse in battery box good, pretty much points to a bad ECM, but it could be something else. Number... +1-480-269-1327 if you want to call.
Another example of why this is a great resource. People helping people.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 No Fuel from injectors

Quick Reply: C3 No Fuel from injectors