C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this machine shop owner definitively prove his valve job is good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 04:57 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

He does a follow-up responding to some feedback he got about that valve-job video, addresses the issue of whether the valve stem is correctly aligned.

The following users liked this post:
427Hotrod (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 08:09 PM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 234 Posts

This goes back to my comment in post #3...
I was thinking solid lifters (I am an LT-1 guy) and over tightening a rocker will cause the valve to stay open, and you would not have compression.
If heat expands the valve train and the hydraulic lifter is stuck (making it just like a solid lifter) it will hold the valve open.
AND this VERY HIGH combustion pressure above the valve can blow the guide seal off, which would allow oil to flow down the valve.
I know at the end of his video he talks about the guide seals are not necessary...I would disagree. They are there for a reason and that is to keep oil out of the cylinder.
There is no other logical reason for the evidence of oil getting past the valve AND no compression that I can think of
Devereaux (12-11-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 09:19 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 761 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

the last vid about concentric stem and seat reminds me of posters over the years.

I didn't believe the valve job was the issue.
guy went above and beyond.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:45 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Nothing wrong there except the customer......kicking his stupid *** to the curb is wise business sense.....

Jebby
Old 12-11-2023, 12:55 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Nothing wrong there except the customer......kicking his stupid *** to the curb is wise business sense.....

Jebby
I've had to do this.
I took pride in satisfying a crazy customer every time (at least 4 or 5 times), but the last time he called he was told that we couldn't do his work any longer.
Enough is enough, my helper thought I was nuts,( after the first encounter), to talk to him again when he told us "he had a gun for guys like us" !! Just because we installed his outside keypad for the garage door operator and had entered the code for him.
The old "the customer is always right" way of doing business went out the window approximately 30 yrs ago. Too many scammers and crazies !
Devereaux (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 02:01 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by 68post
I've had to do this.
I took pride in satisfying a crazy customer every time (at least 4 or 5 times), but the last time he called he was told that we couldn't do his work any longer.
Enough is enough, my helper thought I was nuts,( after the first encounter), to talk to him again when he told us "he had a gun for guys like us" !! Just because we installed his outside keypad for the garage door operator and had entered the code for him.
The old "the customer is always right" way of doing business went out the window approximately 30 yrs ago. Too many scammers and crazies !
With new customers I just read them via phone call or text/e-mail first.......I ask a lot of questions too.......I usually can spot Superflakes a mile away but in the event you make it past my vetting, LOL, you will get a "I'm probably not the right guy for this" in person.......and it is not an insult......some people are impossible to get nine people to help them....but the tenth one will......don't be the tenth guy.....LOL.
I want to help and make a few bucks but I owe nobody anything.....and that mindset sticks with me wherever I go......and if you get shitty with me because I can't help you, I will push you even further away.......
The guy in the video is way nicer than me.......I would have told him to pound salt or his pecker if he can find it.......but this guy has a brick and mortor business and probably a Yelp profile.......
On the flip side of that....I have met some truly outstanding people over the years......people who you want to talk to.......
It is mostly about protecting yourself and your mental health too.......a bad customer can tear a guy down, and make his quality of work suffer......engines and machining do not require a precision mind per say....but it does require a calm one......the guy in the vid is a cool customer.......and he is a pretty scrappy boy too........

Jebby
Old 12-11-2023, 02:28 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

LOL... my tongue has a leather tip (self employed since 1997 as "Garage Door Service of Indiana, Inc.), needs to be in a service business.
It seems we have plenty of customers past and present, but no need to keep crazies. Can't worry too much about a crazies putting your business down , most that know the crazy will know all about their ways, can't win'm all !! (or save them)
Old 12-11-2023, 04:07 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

In 2014, I took a pair of Dart Iron Eagle heads to a machine shop in Springdale, AR. Even then, machine shop numbers were in decline. They were a choice between one other shop. I asked for hardened valve seats to be inserted, 3-angle valve cut of the valves, install new springs, keepers and locks for my retro-roller cam kit.

The car never ran right (it didn't before as the 'hardened' valve seats had recessed). I parked it and in 2018, after moving to Florida, I found a guy that had his own machine shop in his home (he worked in marine industry). He found the valve seats were installed and partially cut and the 3-angle valve cut was poorly performed. Also, the guides were poorly installed and the valve seals were too 'tight' and were wiping too much oil from the valves. He also found the springs were poorly shimmed.

Back in the day, it was easier to find good machine shops. Now, it is harder. Many are retiring due to age as well as EPA regulations.
Devereaux (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 05:21 PM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TedH
In 2014, I took a pair of Dart Iron Eagle heads to a machine shop in Springdale, AR. Even then, machine shop numbers were in decline. They were a choice between one other shop. I asked for hardened valve seats to be inserted, 3-angle valve cut of the valves, install new springs, keepers and locks for my retro-roller cam kit.

The car never ran right (it didn't before as the 'hardened' valve seats had recessed). I parked it and in 2018, after moving to Florida, I found a guy that had his own machine shop in his home (he worked in marine industry). He found the valve seats were installed and partially cut and the 3-angle valve cut was poorly performed. Also, the guides were poorly installed and the valve seals were too 'tight' and were wiping too much oil from the valves. He also found the springs were poorly shimmed.

Back in the day, it was easier to find good machine shops. Now, it is harder. Many are retiring due to age as well as EPA regulations.
It's getting to the point that there is nothing left to machine...
We used to turn rotors. Now we just throw them away because there just isn't enough metal.
It is cheaper to buy new than to have anything worked on...Remember shoe repair shops or TV repair shops?
Old 12-11-2023, 09:26 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
put the wrench down and back away from the vehicle.
This is a classic quote that needs to be put on a T-Shirt with a C3 in the background.....
Alwyn678 (12-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Does this machine shop owner definitively prove his valve job is good?