C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tripower electric choke ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 10:48 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tripower electric choke ?

Hi

I blocked the exhhaust crossover on my 68 L71 tripower and installed spacers under the carbs to block engine heat to the carbs.
Obviously, the choke doesn't work anymore. Thought this wouldn't matter as I only drive when it's a bit warmer.
Unfortunately, the engine doesn't like to start when cold and I need to crank a longer time. It's not miissing fuel in the carb as I tried to fill the ctr carb
before start up, with the same iissue.
Guess, it would like to have a choke !
Years ago, Lars told me that there isn't any electric choke available for tripower application, but maybe things have changed or somebody here has an other solution,
so pls let me know what is possible ( except removing the crossover blockage and removing the carb spacers ).

Brgds from Luxembourg.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:33 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Check accelerator pump and squirter first.......
The spacers under the carbs have nothing to do with the choke operating.......that is controlled by a lever hooked to the choke stove on the side of intake in the center......that stove absorbs the heat to move the rod to operate the choke.

Jebby
Old 10-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Chris Hewitt
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts

When I got my 69 L71 the coke was inoperable, but all the parts were there, it was just severely out of adjustment. This would explain the loss of the original starter and teeth missing from the ring gear. I suspect it never worked from the factory. The original owner just twisted the key. I think he got so frustrated trying to start that that it why it sat for 30 years.

Anyway, using the chassis service manual I was a able to dial it in so it works perfectly.

More recently I blocked the crossover after swapping out the lifters. I figured I’m not driving it in Alaska in January so I really don’t need the crossover. It does take a few more minutes to come off the high idle cam but no big deal.

I recommend try to get the original choke to work.
Old 10-27-2023, 11:06 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by WESCH
pls let me know what is possible ( except removing the crossover blockage).
Remove the crossover blockage and restore your choke operation. Your blocked crossover gains you absolutely nothing, other than reducing the efficiency of your wet-flow induction system and disabling your choke.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:46 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Thanks for all oppinions.
Looks like that I will try again to activate the choke. I tried that once with a manufactured longer activating rod due to the carb spacers, but wasn't lucky.
As Chris Hewitt's choke works also with the blocked crossover, I will approach this again.
Might need some help later on may be with detailed pics.
If all this is not satisfactory, I will most probably remove the crossover blockages, bbut don't realy like to do that as the tripower runs perfect now also at high outside temps and very hot eng bay.

Wbrgds
Old 10-28-2023, 08:35 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,367 Likes on 3,953 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

IF you can find a donor center carb body you can make the Holley retro electric choke conversion work so its mounted directly to the body but it will beat up the carb body and you have to tap some of the holes that are already there...It will work but again its going to ruin the body for originality.

You can also take a Quadrajet remote choke conversion and add an edelbrock extended choke lever. THe arm may hit so you may have to adjust it to fit. The choke has to operate in the correct direction but if it isnt you just need to open up the can and flip it over so it goes in the correct direction. you may also have to make a mount so you can bolt it to the manifold. This will work and you dont have to mod the carbs at all.

Dont buy the new SBC tri power carb and try and make it work. I have one and it needs some mods to make it work. If you use it stock the out board cab linkage wont work. THe throttle body uses a shorter butterfly axle so you cant just swap the throttle body base and add the choke. If i get a chance I will look into it more closely but I think its a dead end unless you ditch the vacuum operated system and go to a progressive linkage....that has its own challenges as you either need to go with the Challenger SIX PAK out board butterflies so you can use their accelerator pumps or buy new throttle bodies. Either way you have to use Ford truck float bowls so you can fit the rear carb with the accelerator pump. You can go without but you cant just mat the accelerator because of the lean bog it creates without those squirters
Old 10-29-2023, 08:25 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
You can also take a Quadrajet remote choke conversion and add an edelbrock extended choke lever. THe arm may hit so you may have to adjust it to fit. The choke has to operate in the correct direction but if it isnt you just need to open up the can and flip it over so it goes in the correct direction. you may also have to make a mount so you can bolt it to the manifold. This will work and you dont have to mod the carbs at all.
Hi

Sounds interesting because the problem of the elecric choke seems to be the direction.
Will see if I can find those parts and work out what you describe.

Brgds

Get notified of new replies

To Tripower electric choke ?

Quick Reply: Tripower electric choke ?