C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There is got to be a better way to charge a C3

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Cormac87
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default There is got to be a better way to charge a C3

Id rather not run charger wires into the battery area, or to the cigarette lighter, or to the alternator. Window have to be slightly opened as does the hood. I’ve had bass boats in the past that had an onboard charger and a bulkhead charger port that you simply attach the extension cord. Has anyone done this with good success and and clean hidden charger port installation. I thought about the left rear fender well.

If anyone has, care to share pictures.

A second question, how many use surge inline protectors (before the car)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Popular Reply

10-05-2023, 11:37 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I don't understand this thread at all. What's so unique about a "C3" to make charging any more difficult than any other car..? Is there any production car (other than some unique models such as the C6 with wire groove access) that has external charging posts to allow battery charging without opening either hood, trunk, or doors..? I own Vettes, American musclecars, Japanese cars, and German cars, and not one of them has any charging access without cracking open either hood, door, or trunk. So what's the problem? Let's change this thread to, "There has got to be a better way to charge a Ford Pinto!" The answer is the same no matter what car you own: If you want to charge it without cracking open a panel, install some charging posts, or a connector, through the body. Pick a spot and do it.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:46 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I always remove the battery to charge. I've boiled out liquid before, and I'd rather have that in a stainless baking tray than in my car.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Cormac87
Instructor

These are battery maintainers I’m using.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:33 PM
corvette74
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's where I installed mine. I ordered it from a RV store.

The following 3 users liked this post by corvette74:
Bikespace (10-04-2023), HeadsU.P. (10-05-2023), kanvasman (10-05-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Just put some power posts somewhere hidden like the drag racers do......

Moroso JUMPER TERMINAL, BATTERY

FYI....putting a maintainer on the Alternator is not a big deal.......not enough amps to matter......the Cig light though...hell no.....

Jebby
Old 10-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

The connector that @corvette74 posted looks like an SAE battery connector, like this one at Amazon. I've used those for solar battery tenders, on trailers and such. You could also consider a trailer connector, the 7-pin standard includes a battery connection.

After reading the background issue, I'd still suggest disconnecting the battery when not in use, and removing the battery to charge it, if needed. I do not like to leave anything connected to an unattended vehicle.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-storm.html

Originally Posted by Cormac87
Had the charger leads hooked to the back of the alternator. Have had this set up for several months. Not sure it was the storm but…..
I had a 75 also hooked up this way as well (same cord as the 72) and that starts fine. I noticed the 72 was solid yellow and the 70 was flashing yellow. All cars were set up and operated with the green lights for the same several months. The storm was about a week ago but have not used the cars in that time. I’m assuming it was the storm for now.
I moved the chargers directly to the battery and both were green within a day so I am guessing the batteries may have survived.
What and where should I start looking?
Old 10-04-2023, 05:07 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here you go-

Can use to charge AND next time you have to jump your car super easy to get to. Just attach to the starter terminal.

Easy to find at a junkyard off BMWs Audis- for a few bucks-

DC3 (10-06-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 09:56 PM
Cormac87
Instructor

What would be ideal is to simply connect the charger to a bulkhead fitting without opening the doors or hood.
HeadsU.P. (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 08:03 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

On a C6 they actually designed a groove in the door sills so that you could leave the battery maintainer plugged into the cig lighter and close the doors. Who said the GM engineers don’t know what they are doing
Old 10-05-2023, 11:57 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

Get rid of the "Battery Maintainers" and drive the car every month or so. Even starting the engine and let the alternator charge it for a short while. The electrolyte in your battery will stratify if it is not charged vigorously every so often. When a battery gets stratified the electrolyte can eat away the plates and reduce the overall capacity of the battery. Many "maintainers can and do stratify the electrolyte in the batteries they are used on.

Battery Maintainers can boil a battery dry of electrolyte if they don't regulate. The less expensive maintainers often don't have any form of regulation. An unregulated 750 Ma battery maintainer can kill a battery in just a few months if left unattended.

I have a 20 watt solar Photovoltaic panel that is attached to my Corvette's battery with a pair of alligator clamps. It takes less than a minute to connect and it charges the battery.

Removing the battery and performing basic maintenance on it. I wipe the battery top off and remove it. Then I clean the top and use baking soda to clean up any leakages around the post. Once the top is clean I then use a wire brush to clean the posts or connectors. Once the top is clean I look for the secret way of getting to the electrolyte. Once you find it be sure to wear face protection before prying the caps off the battery. Check the electrolyte level using a flashlight to unsure that it is up to the proper level. If the electrolyte is low add Distilled Water to bring the electrolyte to it's full point. If anything spills on the battery top be sure to clean up any spills.
Wipe down the battery after topping off the electrolyte. Then connect the battery to a 10-15 amp battery charger and push the battery voltage up to 2.5 volt per cell which will make the electrolyte bubble and mix it up. You need a good solid charge once or twice a year as many cars are not capable of completely charging the battery to 100% full.

When you are charging a battery with a more powerful charger I tend to disconnect the battery from the car. You don't want the electronics to be exposed to above 17 volts or below 9 volts or damage is possible.
The following 2 users liked this post by ctmccloskey:
68V (10-05-2023), Bikespace (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 12:17 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
On a C6 they actually designed a groove in the door sills so that you could leave the battery maintainer plugged into the cig lighter and close the doors. Who said the GM engineers don’t know what they are doing
I'd like to know more about this feature. Do you have any pics?
Old 10-05-2023, 06:23 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

Here you go. A stupid little thing, and I would like to think I drove the car enough not to worry but I have one that gets riven a lot more than the other. Thought it was a good idea. 2 little cut outs in each sill.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:16 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I often thought that if a guy was clever he could have a batt charging port somewhere in one of the wheel-wells depending on where the garage wall outlet is.

A couple of tips here if anyone is using the Deltran Battery Tender units.
Because of where my garage wall outlet is located and the battery farthest away, I needed extra cable to run through the passenger side window.
EBay has Battery Tender extension cables exclusive to their charger. I believe its five foot long, both female & male end connectors at both ends and around $14.

A charger / maintainer does not need to be on 24 / 7. I think you will find that the battery only needs about a half hour a day off-season.
At Walmart in the electrical dept is 48 settings, 24 hr timer. Each notch on the dial represents 30 mins. Plug that timer into the garage wall with your charger and know you will not over-charge / under-charge, plus you will add years to the life of the tender.

In the winter months I tag the steering wheel with a reminder not to pull out with cables still attached.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:37 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I don't understand this thread at all. What's so unique about a "C3" to make charging any more difficult than any other car..? Is there any production car (other than some unique models such as the C6 with wire groove access) that has external charging posts to allow battery charging without opening either hood, trunk, or doors..? I own Vettes, American musclecars, Japanese cars, and German cars, and not one of them has any charging access without cracking open either hood, door, or trunk. So what's the problem? Let's change this thread to, "There has got to be a better way to charge a Ford Pinto!" The answer is the same no matter what car you own: If you want to charge it without cracking open a panel, install some charging posts, or a connector, through the body. Pick a spot and do it.

Last edited by lars; 10-05-2023 at 11:42 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by lars:
7t9l82 (10-06-2023), GordonR (10-06-2023), mrvette (10-06-2023), OldCarBum (10-09-2023), SEVNT6 (10-06-2023), Z0Tex (10-09-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-05-2023, 11:58 PM
Cormac87
Instructor

Simplicity Lars. I had a boat at the lake. I’d pull on the dock, raise the lift, plug in the extension cord and walk away. .I figured someone would have come up with something. Bad thing about the wheel well is a lot of crap swirling around there. Don’t want a bulkhead through the body, Thinking about the front grill or plate area with a 2 wire trolling motor bulkhead and connector.
I don’t mind leaving the hood slightly ajar but there are no battery posts in there to work with. Don’t like leaving the window slightly opened or feeding the wires past the weatherstripping. A lot or resourceful people here (including yourself) so I was looking for ideas. I can’t be the first one who thought of this . At one time there was a magnetic connector for C3’s you would connect via the grill. If you forgot it simply released. I liked the concept..
HeadsU.P. (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 06:00 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It's a battery tender not a nuclear power station.
The following 3 users liked this post by 7t9l82:
68V (10-06-2023), mrvette (10-06-2023), Tranz Zam (10-09-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 07:51 AM
wolfk
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I use the battery terminal on the horn relay and an engine ground, takes 3 seconds to connect the leads after lifting hood.

Get notified of new replies

To There is got to be a better way to charge a C3

Old 10-06-2023, 09:23 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Well lars, I see your point. However, C3 is my only vehicle that has to have a window down a smidge while charging. C3 is the only one without a red POS post for jump starts under the hood. And it's my only vehicle with a battery in a compartment opening that is a quarter inch larger than the battery itself.
I had a '08 Deville with the battery under the backseat. What a pita to get at that. But the Buick battery under the washer fluid tank takes first prize (worst)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:54 AM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
Here you go. A stupid little thing, and I would like to think I drove the car enough not to worry but I have one that gets riven a lot more than the other. Thought it was a good idea. 2 little cut outs in each sill.

I recognize it now. Funny, the owners manual makes no mention of them. But what else could they be for?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:07 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Well lars, I see your point. However, C3 is my only vehicle that has to have a window down a smidge while charging. C3 is the only one without a red POS post for jump starts under the hood. And it's my only vehicle with a battery in a compartment opening that is a quarter inch larger than the battery itself.
I had a '08 Deville with the battery under the backseat. What a pita to get at that. But the Buick battery under the washer fluid tank takes first prize (worst)
You should see where the battery is on my wife’s twin turbo Ford Edge. It’s way up under the cowling. Well, to be fair, most of the engine bay is under the freakin cowling.
I’ve been running for many years with the guidelines that for sitting less than 2-3 weeks, no need for charger if any kind. If your batt can’t hold a solid charge that long, replace the battery and fix the parasitic drain, or install a disconnect.
Some of you aren’t from the Great White North, and it shows. Around here, I remove the battery and charge it in the house if the storage is unheated, as a battery can freeze, even on a smart charger. And we NEVER start a car once it has been parked for winter. There’s no way you are going to cook out all the moisture you create when you start it for short periods in winter.
Bikespace (10-06-2023)

Quick Reply: There is got to be a better way to charge a C3