C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need instructions to replace coolant tank on '81

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 03:41 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default need instructions to replace coolant tank on '81

The coolant recovery tank on my '81 has been leaking so I ordered a new from Top Flight. Is there an easy way to replace this thing without disassembling the whole car?
Old 09-29-2023, 04:25 PM
1860army
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 190 Posts

No, not easy but just nuts and bolts.... 3 10mm bolts hold it on, upper left side of wheel well... If it's leaking its probably been rubbing on the shrader valve on the dryer right under it, mine was...or it could be cracked... If you have AC you will have to loosen the compressor and hold it up to wiggle the tank out..There is a line and electric line running right under the fender lip that you may have to manipulate to get the tank mounting ears past...

First thing you should do is make sure your cap screws onto the new tank, mine did not the neck was too small. Zip, refunded my money and said keep the part so I got a socket a little bigger than the neck and heated the plastic with a heat gun and forced the socket in expanding the neck and threads... It worked so I figured I'd try it... the old one came out pretty easy but the new one fought me all the way.. when it was finally in, the holes did not line up at all... So I got PC7 out and cleaned up the hole in the old one and epoxied it, figured why not since it was already out and had to go back.. I moved the dryer a little and put it back in no trouble....Take a good look at that new tank before you try to put it in... Can you believe how big they are?

Old 10-03-2023, 05:50 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

It looks the same as the one I pulled out of my 80 this past weekend to clean . Turn wheel all the way to the left to access bolts. Undo the rubber hose to Rad. and twist and pull. It will come out with some manhandling...Is that a fuel pressure regulator to the right? It might be in the way.

Get notified of new replies

To need instructions to replace coolant tank on '81

Quick Reply: need instructions to replace coolant tank on '81