C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next thing to check: lost my spark...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 01:42 PM
rgouette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Asked earlier for pictures of cap and points
yeah, sorry bout that.
I'll do the steps I mentioned in my last post, then if it still won;t start, I'll take some pix.

Kind thanks,
Rich
The following users liked this post:
MelWff (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 06:47 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

I think your first post led everybody astray, you said you set your timing at tdc.I don't know of many cars that will start at tdc,Set your timing at about 10 to 15 degrees before tdc.If you have an old dizzy cap cut the top off it so you can see the rotor at tdc then move your rotor counter clockwise about a 1/4 inch before the #1 plug on the dizzy,this should give you enough advance to start.Put your new dizzy back on and it should start right up.Before you try to start it take all your plugs out and let them dry out(could take awhile even if you wipe them down),blow some air into your cylinders to dry them out to,fouled plugs will not allow an engine to start. Next check your oil for gas in the oil,gas in the crankshaft will really do some serious damage.Change oil and filter if contaminated. I would suggest pulling the valve covers and pour the oil in from the top of the engine.I hope your running manifold vacuum and not ported.If your points are opening and closing it should start,maybe run like crap but then you can set the dwell.You want 36degrees at 2800to 3000 rpm with out vacuum and no more than 52 degrees with vacuum advanced (as when your cruising not accelerating.Your initial is not that important as long as it will start when hot.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:50 PM
rgouette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ok, couple things
1) I wasn’t aware a car wouldn’t start if at TDC.. I don’t get why, but that’s another thread

2) I re- found TDC, and made sure the plug wires were in their proper order.
I also hooked up the dwell meter(which btw, needed BATTERIES to work)
and hit start: the thing fired right up.

So, was going to look at dwell with the meter, and upon next start, the engine….”made a noise”
Im not currently sure what it is, but i’m hanging it up for the day

thanks for the tips fellas
MelWff (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 08:43 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Just for thought.
The piston is at TDC twice in a 4-cycle. When EXH just closes & INT opens stroke.
(Plus the TDC comp stroke)

Suck - Squeeze - Bang - Blow.
rgouette (09-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Next thing to check: lost my spark...