C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Big' brakes on C3

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 09:47 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,602 Posts

I think Ignatz brackets are home-made.
You and I would probably have to do the same.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:49 PM
wheresmyhorsepower
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I meant the aluminum J56 brackets. Know of anybody who makes those?
Old 09-14-2023, 08:40 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Any pictures or part# of parts.

Is this what you are talking about ?

6061 J56 Brackets - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
What I found interesting about the linked discussion, is that the OP of it made 5-6 posts, 5 years ago, then disappeared...........
Old 09-16-2023, 07:02 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I've only really experienced what I believe was pad knock-off resulting in a long pedal when I had quite worn pads and rotors - I think the additional amount that the pistons were hanging out of the calipers was somehow part of the problem - but I have had the 14" Wilwoods on the car for some years now, and they have different calipers and brackets entirely, so I'm not comparing with a stock setup.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:48 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by leigh1322
Thanks 69427!
That sounds like exactly the kind of symptom or problem this bracket could prevent.
If the stock caliper bracket was vibrating even a couple thou under braking it could cause that kind of pad wear at both ends.
Originally Posted by wheresmyhorsepower
I meant the aluminum J56 brackets. Know of anybody who makes those?
I can give you a little background on the aluminum brackets, because a friend of mine was one of the people who had some made.

The Corvette dealer and vintage racer Jim Glass (and a friend I often crew for), gave a machine shop in Montgomery NY a set of original cast iron ones to copy and duplicate in aluminum. I forget how many sets he originally made, but shortly after running them the shop got in trouble and folded. I understand the shop did work for Orange County Choppers and their downfall apparently had an effect on the machine shop too, but whatever the cause the CAD work disappeared with the shop. Jim doesn't have anymore of the aluminum reinforcement brackets, other then the ones on his race car.

The ones referenced in the link in post #31 above apparently went nowhere, since the OP hasn't been back on the Forum since January 2018.

Around 10-12 years ago a Dallas vintage racer had a company called American Race Components that made a run of alloy sets. While his website is still (somewhat) up, there's no mention of the reinforcement brackets, or any contact information on the site. I've sent a PM to Forum member C2Racer, who's a vintage racer from Texas, to see if Steve may know the company and how to reach them.

I know where there are a new few pairs of the ones Jim ran, in both the 65-68 small hole and 69-82 large hole versions. One set's spoken for, but there are a couple others left. I also have access to some of the reproduction cast iron 69-82 large hole ones. If anyone is interested PM me for more information.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:27 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

As much as the tech side of me would like a pair, I am sure I do not need them, and will save them for someone who really does.

OTOH I have an idea.
It would be nice to preserve the effort that went into that design.
I do have a little experience with 3-D printing.
Just enough to know that those pieces could be 3D laser scanned, and that would create a cad-cam file from the scan.
Then the file could be saved or sent electronically and any machine shop with a cad-cam router could make a set of these.
Old 09-17-2023, 10:00 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Although I don't have a comparison to a stock setup, I do have data from the track that shows the factory 'configuration' can produce ~1g braking performance. I built my system long before any kits were available, but I'm still using the factory sized rotors, front piston size, rear piston size, and a factory master cylinder. I have upgraded the system with numerous light weight parts though and added cooling ducts to the front brakes.

Once I ducted air to the center of the rotors and went to Hawk pads, I didn't experience any brake fade after that.

Front aluminum calipers & hubs.

The following users liked this post:
interpon (09-25-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 09:06 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

1.0G at 120 mph!
That's excellent.
And great data logging software too.

I was able to get 1.29G out of my Pro-Solo 70 Camaro. But that was in an autocross setting at say 70mph.
I was using the super grippy Carbotech Superstreet FF pads (loved them), or the Performance Friction Z pads (dusty). (Dustiest pads ever, black wheels in 10 miles, but they worked). With Yoko 008Rs or Hoosiers.
Good thing it was short 90 sec courses because those pads would generate some serious heat and overheat if I used them on the high speed track. BTDT.
But they were great for the first half dozen stops! Even the 1st one.
I still had the rear drums on the Camaro with the factory single piston front discs & calipers. Nothing exotic at all except the pads.
The drums required full metallic race linings and vented drums to not overheat even on the 1st stop from 60mph, after I cranked the rear pressure up to make them work. Then they were fine for A-X. Not too grippy, but they would not fade, so I just cranked the rear psi up more. My L88 adjustable proportioning valve made a huge difference also. Like 25%! IIRC we started around 0.88G with early front lockup.
aaroncorvette (09-24-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 10:25 AM
JakeLucas
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Also note wilwood makes a D8-6 which is also a 6 piston caliper, but matches the factory caliper. This is not the same as you have.

D8-6 Wilwood Disc Brakes - Search: 140-11857

What you have is one of these, based on rotor size.

Forged Narrow Superlite 6R Big Brake Front Brake Kit

140-10617
6-Piston Front Kit
14.00-in Rotor Diameter
1.25-in Rotor Width
18-in Min Wheel Dia*

140-10616
6-Piston Front Kit
13.06-in Rotor Diameter
1.25-in Rotor Width
17-in Min Wheel Dia*

140-12946
6-Piston Front Kit
12.19-in Rotor Diameter
1.10-in Rotor Width
15-in Min Wheel Dia*

He chose this because he wanted to go with an Old School look with 15” wheels. He’s going with an built 454 with a manual valve body trans. If it ever gets done. He’s been waiting forever. Big purchase for a 17yo.

Last edited by JakeLucas; 09-20-2023 at 10:35 AM.
aaroncorvette (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 02:14 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I know Ross very well. We’re both from England. He’s got a hot ‘68 489, I’ve got a hot ‘71 383. Mines more pro touring than his. I know what he uses his car for and it’s not track stuff really, ditto me. Fast road.

My stock setup with Yellowstuff pads is amazing. No one needs more braking than that for the street. I really rip the crap out of my car and I know it stops.

So my advice is -

Power steering is a must, I can lock up all 4 wheels and did to stop about 3ft from an idiot doing a u turn in the road.

yellowstuff or equivalent pads are a must

decent tyres.

these are the 3 biggest improvements.

now we both have (I will soon) have 18” wheels. So I will eventually change to D8 wilwood calipers (just for the weight) and maybe 13” or 14” rotors. But none of that is to get better braking, it’s just weight and looks.

the other mods will achieve better braking.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:07 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to thank all of you who contributed to my original query relating to larger diameter discs etc.......your comments have been very helpful......and it seems the reason perhaps why no one previously had published a 'measured' comparison relating to stopping distances using 'big' brakes seems to be due to there being to be very little difference over and above properly maintained OEM disc brakes (with 'good' pads) other than possibly improved pedal 'feel' and maybe better heat disipation under race conditions.... thank you once again fella's!
The following 3 users liked this post by roscobbc:
aaroncorvette (09-26-2023), ignatz (09-25-2023), leigh1322 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 08:13 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by roscobbc
I want to thank all of you who contributed to my original query relating to larger diameter discs etc.......your comments have been very helpful......and it seems the reason perhaps why no one previously had published a 'measured' comparison relating to stopping distances using 'big' brakes seems to be due to there being to be very little difference over and above properly maintained OEM disc brakes (with 'good' pads) other than possibly improved pedal 'feel' and maybe better heat dissipation under race conditions.... thank you once again fella's!

Quick Reply: 'Big' brakes on C3