C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regarding tires sticking out beyond the fenders

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 02:13 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

in the 80's policeman cited me for tires past fenders.
California
Old 09-04-2023, 02:23 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Ohio has that rule also.....no tires sticking out past the fender. (Loosely enforced).
Old 09-04-2023, 05:29 PM
CSIROCZ
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
What country has that tire rule ?
Originally Posted by CSIROCZ
Plenty of states in the US have that rule.
GREAT, but I was curious what country he is in, it's not listed in is profile.
I couldn't know that. You asked what country had that rule. I answered: the good ole USA.
BTW: I'm in NY, and last I checked that IS in the "good ole USA. I have never failed NYS / DMV inspection for tires being too wide.
So, to recap, you asked what country had the rule. I told you the rule can be found here. You then try to deflect, claiming to be asking where OP was from. I point out you did nothing of the sort. So again you deflect and claim that because New York doesn't have fender laws, the US doesn't have fender laws...

Sound like you're more interested in arguing than carrying a coherent conversation. So...have fun with that. I'm out.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:37 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 455 Likes on 270 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So, to recap, you asked what country had the rule. I told you the rule can be found here. You then try to deflect, claiming to be asking where OP was from. I point out you did nothing of the sort. So again you deflect and claim that because New York doesn't have fender laws, the US doesn't have fender laws...

Sound like you're more interested in arguing than carrying a coherent conversation. So...have fun with that. I'm out.

Ok, typical, no argument here ! Was only trying to find out what country he is in / from. Nothing more / nothing less & certainly you are looking deeper into this then need be. Glad your out ........ C I A O
Old 09-04-2023, 07:44 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Install fender flares, maybe???
Old 09-04-2023, 08:40 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Install fender flares, maybe???
Flares is the answer. Then you're legal in Ohio.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:47 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,727 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Wheels look like they are the wrong back spacing.
Looking at the pictures the prior owner used longer spring bolts to lower the car.
In the pictures the bottom of the spring bolt is lower than the lower lip of the wheel, which creates a dangerous condition if you have a flat and the spring bolt contacts the roadway.
Remove one of the rear wheels, measure the back spacing and report back to us.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:53 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Plenty of states in the US have that rule.
That rule is intended to prevent trucks with offroad tires from throwing rocks around.. Its not something that will ever get this car pulled over. its like the law in the states that makes any aftermarket led or hid headlights illegal. Its never enforced anymore. I would want to correct it for cosmetic reasons though. OP as others have stated you want a rim with a different backspacing I cant remember for sure but I think 4.5"?

FYI NY does have a fender law... again they just dont enforce it unless there an issue like a person throws a stone from a tire and damages another vehicle.I had a lifted jeep with wide knobby tires when I was a a kid... I was scared into buying wider flares after a shop hassled me and almost didnt pass my inspection. That said theres lots of things done regularly that are technically illegal in the states like installing sidepipes or any performance exhaust on a post 74 corvette after removing the cats. or the led headlights I mentioned earlier, pick your poison

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-05-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Regarding tires sticking out beyond the fenders