C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 11:31 PM
stingrayiii67
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 141 Posts

Went with Dougs Sidepipes! With 2 1/2 inserts.

Here is what they sound like.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxEBayJyT...E_QA9in65A7a9d
The following 4 users liked this post by stingrayiii67:
A10pilot (08-14-2023), Big Block 69 (08-16-2023), Bikespace (08-14-2023), zdave83 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 07:49 AM
A10pilot
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 246 Likes on 125 Posts

NICE CAR !
The following users liked this post:
stingrayiii67 (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:08 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfnium
The primary culprit on the side pipe loss of horsepower isn't the long primary tubes, but the often restrictive side pipe inserts. Dyno's of hooker style side pipes with 1-7/8 primaries and 4" collectors (open pipes no muffler or inserts) are similar / close enough to open headers (usually 6-10 HP loss). For a street driven car, that is negligible. As we try to keep our ears from bleeding, we add inserts to control the sound. I'm not trying to rehash what we all know, but my frustration is how we can't solve the problem of sound and performance with the side pipe. I think we are close, but just not quite there.

I believe if someone made a high performance muffler (like Borla) that would slip on to the end of the Hooker style 4" collector, be long enough, and have turn outs / downs at the end - all the inserts would be obsolete. You could even go up to 4.5" to 5" in outside diameter and still fit next to the car for most cases. The Borla's fit for me, but they weren't long enough to knock down the sound enough. I'm happy with the 3" core on the louvered classic chambered exhaust, but I'd love to find that silver bullet with the side pipe muffler system.
Well, what would you consider an acceptable power loss to get to the sound level you want?

I don’t have anything to do with Classic Chambered other than being a customer, but they really do make a good product. CC doesn’t make any numbers claims themselves, they just talk about improved horsepower with their product. (Probably don’t want to get in a numbers pissing match with people, cuz we all know how much dynos and motor combos can vary the numbers). But, there are customer testimonials where their Vettepacks showed only a 2% power loss over open sidepipes. I’d say that’s pretty good.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:07 PM
Halfnium
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Well, what would you consider an acceptable power loss to get to the sound level you want?

I don’t have anything to do with Classic Chambered other than being a customer, but they really do make a good product. CC doesn’t make any numbers claims themselves, they just talk about improved horsepower with their product. (Probably don’t want to get in a numbers pissing match with people, cuz we all know how much dynos and motor combos can vary the numbers). But, there are customer testimonials where their Vettepacks showed only a 2% power loss over open sidepipes. I’d say that’s pretty good.
I'm a CC customer as well, and they make a great product. I too have read the customer testimonials - and Eric at Chambered is who recommended what I am currently running in my side pipes now. I'm not unhappy at all with chambered - in fact I would recommend them to anyone with side pipes! I guess what I'm getting at: I'm curious why no one has tried to move from an insert into the 4" diameter side pipe to creating a complete side pipe muffler that can take full advantage of the larger ID and OD as possible.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:52 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by cottoneg
I guess there isn't enough demand for side pipe mufflers for Dave Borla to make one for us. I have no idea the amount or research and tooling that needs to go into it. But if he could design replacement muffler, I think it would be accepted.
It looks like there is enough room you could run two Borlas back to back. That might help with the sound.
Old 08-14-2023, 08:26 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

Had sidepipes for over 20 years. Small bloc. Big block. There are better flowing exhausts but not better looking ones.

And after 20 years, mine finally bit me.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Halfnium
Pro

Originally Posted by Crimson Thunder
It looks like there is enough room you could run two Borlas back to back. That might help with the sound.
I've definitely considered that. You are right, there would be enough room to do two Borla's in series.

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Had sidepipes for over 20 years. Small bloc. Big block. There are better flowing exhausts but not better looking ones.

I've reached out to Eric S. at classic chambered exhaust about the idea of a direct fit header muffler for the 4" side mount headers. He's responsive to the idea, we are currently discussing how this would work / look like / effectiveness / construction details etc... At least he didn't say "hell no"... We'll see where it goes from here...

Old 08-15-2023, 10:30 AM
Halfnium
Pro

I had a good conversation with Eric at classic chambered exhaust. We talked about increasing the OD in order to increase the ID to around 3.5" or so. It would be a louvered design with a 5" OD (tapered) and fit directly one the collector of the Hooker style side pipe. At this time, the end user would have to add the turn out and hangers. Basically, he could do it - and would if I wanted to. However, the conversation moved into the "why" would you do it. We talked for some time about exhaust flow and sound characteristics. To sum up a 30 minute conversation - to go up any larger in core or pass through sizing we would reach a diminishing return on both required flow and sound control. Generally speaking, if you are running a 3" core it will provide enough flow for anything we generally build. It would also come as a surprise (not really) that the 3.5" + core would be significantly louder even with more OD of packing material.

As discussed before, the classic chambered mufflers provide very little back pressure and customers who have provided feedback to CCE, have quantified that with their own dyno comparisons. From the testimonials I've read, were talking 2% to 5% @ WOT (depending on build) from open headers.

This whole discussion was about aftermarket side mount headers and pipes, not about the OEM side pipes. The OEM pipes have different dimensions and CCE has products for those specifically.

KT
The following 2 users liked this post by Halfnium:
Bikespace (08-15-2023), zdave83 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-15-2023, 01:33 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Thanks for following up with CCE! The other big reason to do this as a modular muffler vs. an insert in a pipe is WEIGHT.

For my 3" Doug's inserts (glasspacks), I have an inner perforated pipe, an outer insert shell, the 4" pipe itself, and sometimes a shield. That's up to 4 layers of steel, but the exhaust only sees two of them.

A solution that replaces the pipe with a functional muffler could eliminate one, or even two, layers, half the weight. If it ends up looking goofy, who cares? Form follows function. Put a heat shield over everything, and still come out way ahead on weight.
zdave83 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:32 PM
Corvettedave02
C3. 427, 4-link, c7 z06
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

I have had hooker side pipes with capped and uncapped Spiral baffles. Uncapped are very loud but perform the best. I bought new, SS Hookers recently as im doing a complete restoration. There are some very nice, Ss heat shields you can get for 4" side pipes that look good too. I haven't installed them yet but will eventually to prevent my wife from legs burns.

zdave83 (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:20 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfnium
That looks great ! Whose heat shields are those ?
Old 08-21-2023, 11:03 PM
Halfnium
Pro

Originally Posted by zdave83
That looks great ! Whose heat shields are those ?
https://steelshields.com/

LINK
zdave83 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 02:28 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 774 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
Run this style side pipe. They look like factory, sound great and nobody ever gets burned.
Don't worry about resale time. There's ALWAYS somebody looking for a Corvette with side pipes.

I agree those are the way to go. They look great, and the single pipe feed into those allows a crossover pipe to be installed to trim down those annoying 8/4 and 5/7 pulses that cause all the noise vs restriction headaches. A shorty header setup feeding those sidepipes should be lighter and quieter at the same horsepower settings, compared to the (overly) long-tube headers. The side covers also open up design options for the internal muffling sections, as aesthetics limitations no longer apply.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:26 PM
jbradley02
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
The Look is by Far the best thing about side pipes.

You Dropped a Piston :-)
Old 08-23-2023, 05:40 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Is there a side pipe setup that has, or allows for, open exhaust bypass ? Ideally I'd like very quiet side pipes with a bypass to be able to dial in as much music as wanted.

Also ... how do side exhaust headers handle engine shake ? Seem like unless the engine is sitting on solid engine mounts, engine shake would constantly work to flex the metal in the side exhaust headers.
Old 08-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zdave83
Is there a side pipe setup that has, or allows for, open exhaust bypass ? Ideally I'd like very quiet side pipes with a bypass to be able to dial in as much music as wanted.

Also ... how do side exhaust headers handle engine shake ? Seem like unless the engine is sitting on solid engine mounts, engine shake would constantly work to flex the metal in the side exhaust headers.
To be clear, I'm only talking about Hooker-style sidepipe headers with side pipes, where 4 individual exhaust pipes pass under the frame on each side, and join in a large collector along the side of the car.

As long as your side pipes clear your rear tires (mine do), you can swap them out in 10 minutes. Perhaps have a second set with different inserts, or no inserts. If you were to drive your car to the track, and then swap them out, you'd need some thick gloves, like the type you use to handle firewood. I don't recall seeing a cutout version with this configuration, as the exhaust would have to go back under the frame at a point at risk for bottoming out on a speed bump. You could do a cutout with a flat NASCAR-style side outlet, though, and perhaps even get it to work with the 69-style covers, though there would be no pipe under there. Inspirational photos at the link at the end.

As an aside, the STS spiral turbo baffles ( https://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/ ) have a center tube that can be capped, or opened, easily for a quick sound change.

There is flex in the sidepipes, but the best solution is to install solid engine mounts. That's the best solution for any C3, really.

Side exit exhaust: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ide-pipes.html
zdave83 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 04:50 PM
zdave83
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
There is flex in the sidepipes, but the best solution is to install solid engine mounts. That's the best solution for any C3, really.
I appreciate all the info on inserts. What I'm curious about is use of a bypass after the collector, just ahead of the muffler/insert ... maybe with the use of a parallel pipe to get straight exhaust out the sidepipe exit. I realize that would make it wider ... so just thinking how that might be done.

On solid engine mounts ... is that common ? And how would that benefit any C3 ? Seems like that might transmit a lot more vibration.

Get notified of new replies

To Side Pipes

Old 08-24-2023, 05:15 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Where would everything fit with the bypass at the end of the collector? You wouldn't be able to open your doors, or clear speed bumps, or both. You could do something that rotates to allow more or less air through, like a spice bottle top.

You might think solid mounts make the car vibrate, but they don't. Many on this Forum use them, there are lots of threads on this. They also stiffen up the front end, in a good way. But read some testimonials first.

zdave83 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 10:00 AM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 378 Likes on 230 Posts

Great thread and thankful I found it, I have been hesitant to post the exact same question and getting crucified by everyone giving their opinion on "original" and "side pipes".
I have a very original low mile 1980 L48 car in impeccable condition, I have a Borgeson PS kit I ordered and going to install one of these Saturdays when it's not 110 degrees out... I have been thinking about adding a nice Doug's headers and side pipe package while doing the Borgeson, the past 6-7 years I've had 2 Vipers, 2 Cobras, a 64 and 69 corvette all with side pipes, never burnt my leg though my wife has a small snake bite from one of the cobras... I love side pipes.
Ive always loved the look and sound of the chrome header/side pipe package and its been really growing on me on the later C3s when i see them and been thinking of installing them, frankly i would probably also add a set of 15x8.5 torq thrusts to finish the look, of course i would keep all stock wheels, smog, exhaust etc in storage.
I originally considered selling this one because of its condition, it also has a bit of a past and buying something I wouldn't feel guilty about modifying but I love this car and could always bring it back to original.
I do NOT care about value, I have no problem putting more into a car than its worth... there is a value to the enjoyment of the car and I dont buy them for investment.
After reading this thread my mind is made up, I am going to start looking for a header/side pipe package, I was a bit curious about the install and possible issues but not after reading here.
thanks group.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:24 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 378 Likes on 230 Posts

Question for those who installed the Doug's headers, I'm about to order a header/pipe set up, upon recommendations I'm going with ceramic coated... a few questions, first anyone have to modify or dimple for a Borgeson PS, second I'm reading drivers side tends to stick away from the car more than passenger side... anyone experience this?
thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Side Pipes