C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 06:18 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Door Springs

Does anyone know of a good video or description of installing the c3 door spring? I’m struggling. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Hey Dave, it's very easy once you see the procedure. You do NOT need a special tool. Just use an angled bar or bend a cheap, larger screwdriver.
Watch these two videos to see the job done with and without the door in place. Install, really is a 5 minute job.
Cheers, Greg

The following users liked this post:
kansas123 (08-03-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 07:03 PM
johnny650
Heel & Toe

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

greetings..

ordered a door hold open spring and tool... there was no way we were gonna getts it on there... so went to the corvette connection in butler wi... they could not getts it on there... they came out with another new spring and tool... they had it on there in less than 60 seconds... the knock off spring i gotts from one of the big corvette mail order joints was slightly imperfect and just wouldnt go...

the flat part at the top looked stamped on the one i ordered... the one they brought out was clearly machined... the slight difference would not allow the spring to make it into the bottom notch...

should have got a photo when i had both in my hand...

corvette connection butler wi installing door spring...

johnny

Old 08-03-2023, 12:18 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Greg
Hey Dave, it's very easy once you see the procedure. You do NOT need a special tool. Just use an angled bar or bend a cheap, larger screwdriver.
Watch these two videos to see the job done with and without the door in place. Install, really is a 5 minute job.
Cheers, Greg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQfeiH1povw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVkbT0wbWc
Thanks Greg. I kept trying to get the top in and bla bla bla. Lol. I can restore the car but struggle with this spring. I can see it now. I was making too much out of it. Thanks again.
Greg (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:37 AM
vetten76
Drifting

You’ve got a nice car Johnny. I’ll check the spring again. Perhaps it’s like yours was. Maybe that’s why I’m struggling. I’m hopeful to get this done tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2023, 07:04 AM
RBFERGUSON
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Door Spring Replacement

Hi Vetten 76 , -- Read with interest your question / problem . , I have had the same problem , , spent an unbelievable amount of time trying to fit spring onto hinge with door open , as yet not successful , I thought that maybe the bottom hook was to long ( measured at 2 1/8 inches so ok ) but the end of the spring with the short hook has a crimp at the end (, see photos ) ,I also looked at videos ,, ,, hinge in vice ,so easy to fit , and with door open ,not that clear but looks doable. -- could this crimp at the short hook end of the spring shown in the photos be creating a problem?
Grinding the crimp off is not a problem but is it the answer ?

Old 08-04-2023, 01:12 PM
vetten76
Drifting

My aftermarket springs are longer at the bottom too. Why is this such a weird thing? Like everyone says, it’s easy once you see how it’s done. I wouldn’t cut off the notch. Maybe as a last resort. Thanks for the pics. I’ll post when I finally get it. Thanks brother.
Old 08-13-2023, 02:56 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Just finished this job, excellent video Greg.

My door is on but with the door off in your video, it was pretty clear how to proceed. I did buy the tool, what the heck, it's 20 miles one way to Corvette Clinic. Gas is $5.40/ga here, the "tool" was $18 so I did the math. Close enough to a wash if I had to make another trip to buy the tool. Not worth the aggravation.

And they for sure wouldn't be open today.
Greg (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 03:16 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Glad it all worked out for you brother.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Springs

Quick Reply: Door Springs