C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doug nash or Richmond 4+1 shifter help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 08:50 PM
carsdwl11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Doug nash or Richmond 4+1 shifter help !

Does anyone have a pic of a long shifter that was successfully installed into a c3 ?

I bought a used richmond from a friend and the shifter hits my crossmember on the reverse lever, the 1st gear shift rail hits the driveshaft yoke, the shift lever in the car is too far forward and hits the bezel.

Im trying to see what I'm missing or what is different.
Thanks !

Old 05-29-2023, 07:32 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

I don't have any pictures but had none of those problems mounting the shifter in my 69. I believe others have had to notch the crossmember though. Search C2 for forum member ML67. He did a thread a while back on this issue. In fact, I bought my Long shifter from him. Do you know which Long shifter you have? I believe there are two for the Richmond 5, the 1000 and 1001. By the way, I originally had a Hurst, but the Long is a much better shifter, love mine!
Old 05-29-2023, 07:52 AM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Here's the thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sion-long.html

Unfortunately the supporting pictures are long gone - that was a long time and several computers ago...

Might be worth a call to Long Shifters/G-Force. They're great people with outstanding customer support. It's possible you have either an incorrect shifter or more likely, an incorrect mounting plate. Note that crossmember notching is required at the exhaust pass through. But the correct shifter and mounting plate should not cause interference w/ the yoke or console bezel. At least in my case and w/ others who did this conversion.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2023, 09:26 AM
carsdwl11
Advanced

I figure I'll call long tomorrow.
I'm not sure if it the 1000 or 1001 . I cannot find any markings on the shifter or plate.

I had a plan to Notch the crossmember but then paused and decided to wait. This has been a simple project that has been rather frustrating!
Old 05-29-2023, 09:53 AM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by carsdwl11
This has been a simple project that has been rather frustrating!
There have been few "simple" tasks in this hobby that haven't turned into frustratingly long projects...at least in my experience...Payoff is when it is successfully completed and you can enjoy the drive.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 07:11 AM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been years since I last had the transmission out, so my memory is a little fuzzy. If I recall, you can mount the shifter to the aluminum plate in more than one position. You'll need to figure that one out. Also, you'll need to grind the end (notch) the slider to clear the yoke. See pics below. As for the shifter handle, I originally used my handle from my Hurst Competition Plus and needed to heat it up and bend rearward to sit properly. I now use a stock replica shifter handle which needed to be modified (cut and re-welded ).

Old 05-30-2023, 10:46 AM
carsdwl11
Advanced

Tsw71 thank you ! This was exactly what I needed to see.
I had similar ideas in mind but wanted to confirm before committing to cutting .

Get notified of new replies

To Doug nash or Richmond 4+1 shifter help !

Quick Reply: Doug nash or Richmond 4+1 shifter help !