C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife told him to get rid of it if it's not going to run- '81 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:25 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,908 Likes on 930 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm a Holley guy also....my main issue with Edelbrock's are they are ugly unless there's two of them on the intake! LOL.

The Edelbrock line usually drives pretty well out of the box these days on a mild engine. Years ago there were some issues with some funky passages but they seemed to have worked that out. 13" doesn't sound too far out of the ballpark at all to make one work. They have a tuning kit with various metering rod springs that can make all the difference in the world with larger cams...along with different rods and jets if needed.

That said, I've also been recommending that "truck" carb for years because I've used it and it works fine. Just like a "750 Street HP" double pumper is fantastic out of the box on nastier street combos. It's a little leaner calibration than the race versions...and just flat works.

I'm running a literally 50 year old Holley 750 DP (4779) on a mild 302 in my '82 Mustang GT. With just minor changes to the jetting and power valve...the thing is amazing. It will idle away from a light super smooth, light the tires at will...and cruise perfectly. No doubt...Holley still knows how to build a good carburetor! No choke...but fires with one pump of the pedal and will idle clean within about 5 seconds. Of course I'm in TX...so chokes aren't as big of an issue.

JIM
Old 05-24-2023, 10:53 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,897 Likes on 2,566 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I'm a Holley guy also....my main issue with Edelbrock's are they are ugly unless there's two of them on the intake! LOL.

The Edelbrock line usually drives pretty well out of the box these days on a mild engine. Years ago there were some issues with some funky passages but they seemed to have worked that out. 13" doesn't sound too far out of the ballpark at all to make one work. They have a tuning kit with various metering rod springs that can make all the difference in the world with larger cams...along with different rods and jets if needed.

That said, I've also been recommending that "truck" carb for years because I've used it and it works fine. Just like a "750 Street HP" double pumper is fantastic out of the box on nastier street combos. It's a little leaner calibration than the race versions...and just flat works.

I'm running a literally 50 year old Holley 750 DP (4779) on a mild 302 in my '82 Mustang GT. With just minor changes to the jetting and power valve...the thing is amazing. It will idle away from a light super smooth, light the tires at will...and cruise perfectly. No doubt...Holley still knows how to build a good carburetor! No choke...but fires with one pump of the pedal and will idle clean within about 5 seconds. Of course I'm in TX...so chokes aren't as big of an issue.

JIM
Yep....Truck Avenger for mild to warm street combos and the 750HP for hot to radical street combos.......I have a collection of pristine Q-Jet cores on the shelf for the vintage guys.......
I have also had very good luck over the years with the Demon carbs but only the Mighty Demon and Race Demon......the others are assembled in Mexico and are garbage.....
I had an Edelbrock AVS 650 on my 66' 327 L-79 and I tuned it to perfection......16 MPG and high 13's in the 1/4 mile.....but it was on the car when I got it.....and took a lot of time to get it right.......so they can be made to work.....BUT, I was going to swap it out with the Truck 670 right before I rid of it.....because it looks like the original L-79 carb from 5 feet away......
Lars E-Mailed me a few months back and showed pics of a Truck 670 he just had put on a 67' L-79 car......he adjusted the floats, set the idle screws and swapped the secondary spring to the yellow one......and it ran perfect. Looked the part too.

Jebby
Old 05-24-2023, 10:58 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,897 Likes on 2,566 Posts

I just want to add that I have never used a Quick Fuel or Brawler carb.....and probably never will......as I have no time behind them.....and I go with what works.

Jebby
Old 05-24-2023, 03:49 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've tested two Demon's...both were not good. One was an 850 which has the exact throttle bore and venturi dimensions as a Holley HP 1000. On the dyno, the Demon ran well...but was literally 20 HP down from the Holley on a pump gas 555" engine project for a magazine build.

Then on my engine...we tested a Dominator version. Seemed to run OK overall initially on start up...but we didn't make any pulls that night because it was late. The next morning, they decided to warm it up and make a few hits before I got there. I got a call telling me they think my engine was hurt as it was down 50 HP from the previous runs with my homebuilt 1050 Dominator. Hmnnn. I got there, pulled plugs, valve covers etc etc and all looked OK. We made more pulls and it was not moving enough fuel up high. We ran out of jets even after using "Max Jets" and playing with air bleeds etc etc. Just didn't want to make power. Swapped my junker back on and instantly all power came back.

Of course I've seen similar with some high $$$ custom carbs that wouldn't idle out of the box and/or drive or make power. I spec'd out a custom built 1250 Dominator for the street from the Holley Custom Shop years ago...and the head carb dude (since retired) there put it together and actually sent it to be dyno'd at Shafiroff's before sending to us. It ran great...but I was amazed to open it up and find #100 jets in all four corners. When I asked him about it, he just smiled and reminded me "there's lots of ways to get what you want out of a fuel curve"!

JIM
Old 05-24-2023, 04:07 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice story. Thanks for sharing ,
Also If that is an old battery charger on the floor, I think I have that same exact one. I have never seen anyone have one like that. I think its older than I am.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:06 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Nice story. Thanks for sharing ,
Also If that is an old battery charger on the floor, I think I have that same exact one. I have never seen anyone have one like that. I think its older than I am.

LOL...yep. I bought it at K-Mart in about 1980 or so. The thing is a tank! It's been used in sub-sub zero temps outside....and left on stuff for days and days to trickle charge etc. Will make a dead battery fire up in minutes.

If I saw another one at a swap meet I'd grab it in a heartbeat!

JIM

Quick Reply: Wife told him to get rid of it if it's not going to run- '81 Vette