C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 SBC Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 06:21 PM
finest kind
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1971 SBC Rebuild

Hi all,
Decided to rebuild stock 350, auto c/w shift kit, stock stall converter, 3.08, Edelbrock intake and 650cfm carb, HEI, headers. This is an around town daily driver, not a race car nor garage queen~looking for a bit more performance.
thinking about installing GM 19331470 SmallPort Vortec heads along with normal machining/new pistons etc. versus rebuilding original heads. Are these new heads worth the cost? Not sure, but expect small overbore.
Any cam recommendations, roller, etc? Local support has suggested an RV type cam. I used a Crane HT284 in another century, worked okay.
Open to all suggestions. Oh, small, very small, possibility going to 200/400 r type trans inn future. Depending on Finance & Approval Dept.
Thanks,
Finest

Old 03-24-2023, 06:35 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

cut to it, money
Old 03-24-2023, 07:55 PM
randallsteel
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

For the money I’d at least consider edelbrock estreet heads, part 5089. You could reuse your current intake as well. I’m pretty sure, vortec style heads require a different intake.
64cc heads with flat top pistons would put you around 10:1 CR and with a moderate cam, it’d be a noticeable improvement in performance
Old 03-24-2023, 08:07 PM
finest kind
Heel & Toe

Thought about them, bit concerned about aluminium. Will investigate. Good point about fitment of intake. Another issue, we're outside of Toronto. Sometimes warranty for stuff like this in far, far away land is difficult. The Gm heads are sourced from Canadian dealer and warranty is everywhere.
Really appreciate your comments, thanks.
finest
Old 03-25-2023, 04:16 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,517 Likes on 2,735 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Why would you be concerned over the far superior Aluminium heads???
just don't get that.
Your in Canada. And afraid of being in far Away land for warranty issues???
I am in Australia. I run Edelbrock heads.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:33 AM
finest kind
Heel & Toe

Hi,
You're definitely in farther away land. Thanks for your assurance with Edelbrock.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:44 AM
finest kind
Heel & Toe

Default 1971 350 Rebuild

Now seriously considering Edelbrock 5089 heads. Any suggestions for cam? Would like a bit of lumpy idle, but wan't to keep factory THD400 stall.
suggestions?
Thanks, Finest
Old 03-25-2023, 08:03 AM
randallsteel
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by finest kind
Now seriously considering Edelbrock 5089 heads. Any suggestions for cam? Would like a bit of lumpy idle, but wan't to keep factory THD400 stall.
suggestions?
Thanks, Finest
In my opinion, edelbrock doesn’t offer a cam that’s just right. The performer is too small, and the torker plus is too big(I run torker plus but I do a lot of drag racing, and I have a high stall converter)
I would look for something around .47 lift and a 270ish duration. I’m sure someone on this forum knows a cam that is around that.
5089 heads are max .55 lift.
also, just more for you to think about, if you switch to aluminum heads you need longer/hardened push rods. Idk if this is true for vortec heads.
edelbrock part 9629 are the recommended push rods for 5089 heads.
The majority of people here will say switch to roller. I like flat tappet. Maybe it’s because I’ve used them for years and years and never had an issue. I am not knowledgeable on roller swaps or recommended specs for roller cams, but someone will probably chime in.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:21 AM
finest kind
Heel & Toe

Thanks Randallsteel,
Really appreciate your suggestions and am looking for appropriate parts/fitment, etc.
Old 03-28-2023, 01:35 PM
curtis75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, another Canadian. I'm just down the highway a bit. Aluminum heads are a nice upgrade. Other than cost its pretty much all upside. I haven't built many motors but went roller lifters on the couple I have built. We used the comp retro roller kits. The roller cams can open quicker, so you can get more flow without having to have a ton of overlap. We built a 427 BBC and used a Comp Thumpr cam. It made decent power, very streetable but it sounded awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to use a cam out of that series again. I'm by no means an expert so take it for what its worth.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:18 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by randallsteel
In my opinion, edelbrock doesn’t offer a cam that’s just right. The performer is too small, and the torker plus is too big(I run torker plus but I do a lot of drag racing, and I have a high stall converter)
I would look for something around .47 lift and a 270ish duration. I’m sure someone on this forum knows a cam that is around that.
5089 heads are max .55 lift.
also, just more for you to think about, if you switch to aluminum heads you need longer/hardened push rods. Idk if this is true for vortec heads.
edelbrock part 9629 are the recommended push rods for 5089 heads.
The majority of people here will say switch to roller. I like flat tappet. Maybe it’s because I’ve used them for years and years and never had an issue. I am not knowledgeable on roller swaps or recommended specs for roller cams, but someone will probably chime in.
The vortecs don't need hardened pushrods because the rockers are self guided at the valve stem. I agree with using aluminum heads, the vortecs were a good deal at first because the factory was still making them. Chevy stopped making them so any left that are new are expensive, or you just need to rebuild them. They didn't have screw in rocker studs and cam lift is limited to .470 and the aforementioned vortec only intakes aren't getting any cheaper either. I bought a pair back in the day, but there's plenty more options that are better for the same money.

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 SBC Rebuild

Quick Reply: 1971 SBC Rebuild