C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 hi idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 12:23 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1982 hi idle issue

Hey guys, have an 82 with 66k original miles. Having a hi idle issue currently. Check the tps today and it was at 511, played with it for a while and got it to 526, as you know every time you tighten the dam screws the reading changes. Checked for vacuum leaks and any disconnected hoses including under the air cleaner and everything looked good. Neither of these fixed to hi idle, 1400 at start up and never goes down. I did change the temp sensor on the front of the manifold a few years back. Took the car for a ride and noticed I had low heat coming out of the blower, took a look at the temp gauge and it had barely moved even after 20 miles. Now during the summer I had done a rad flush and replaced the thermostat with a failsafe model. Checked coolant levels in the rad and overflow tank and both looked good. Could the thermostat be stuck open and because im not ever warming up the computer is keeping the idle hi? Thanks in advance.... Cory originally put this in the 82 sticky but no answers so I am trying here.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:32 PM
brushmor
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I had an issue with a high idle and it turned out the timing was off.

It was not clear to me, are you still having issues with the engine not warming up? Should be easy to check by testing the resistance at the sensor.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Fly skids up!
Burning Brakes

Received 614 Likes on 377 Posts

There's is a relationship between coolant temperature and IAC counts. A scanner would be able to tell you if the coolant temperature too low or a vacuum leak by the IAC counts.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:09 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by brushmor
I had an issue with a high idle and it turned out the timing was off.

It was not clear to me, are you still having issues with the engine not warming up? Should be easy to check by testing the resistance at the sensor.
Yes, engine not warming up. AFter twenty minutes temp gauge hasnt moved and you can hold the rad hose with no problem.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:10 PM
ESU
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fly skids up!
There's is a relationship between coolant temperature and IAC counts. A scanner would be able to tell you if the coolant temperature too low or a vacuum leak by the IAC counts.
Pardon my ignorance but what type of scanner? I mean I can hold the radiator hose in my hand after twenty minutes of driving with no issues getting burned.
Old 01-09-2023, 03:50 PM
Fly skids up!
Burning Brakes

Received 614 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ESU
Pardon my ignorance but what type of scanner? I mean I can hold the radiator hose in my hand after twenty minutes of driving with no issues getting burned.
An OBD1 scanner. It allows you to see the data that the ECM is seeing. You can see Coolant temperature and you can also see the IAC counts. let's say that the IAC count is zero at 1400 RPM's with the throttle closed and coolant temperature at 195 which would point in the direction of a vacuum leak. A smoker is the best way to find leaks and with C3's there's no shortage of them. If you're seeing a lower than normal coolant temperature the ECM is going to command a higher IAC count. Every CFI owner should have a scan tool along with other EFI test equipment. Even if you can't interpret the data there are others that can and not every EFI issue it going to have a code.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 hi idle issue

Quick Reply: 1982 hi idle issue