C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column won't collapse

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Fatpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steering column won't collapse

Hey there. I am in the middle of a Borgeson steering conversion. I am to the point of collapsing the steering column so the new steering box will fit. I had a piece of wood on the end of the shaft and have been hitting it with a hammer. The motor is not in so I am able to get good solid hits. It seems to move in a little and then bounce right back out. Any tips?
Old 11-11-2022, 03:55 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Maybe it's already collapsed?
Old 11-11-2022, 04:07 PM
Fatpig
Advanced

Originally Posted by ignatz
Maybe it's already collapsed?
No its not. Its in the same position as it was when it was attached to the factory gear box. It hasn't moved. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:13 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Are you using a BFH?
Old 11-11-2022, 06:56 PM
Fatpig
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcread
Are you using a BFH?
Nope and I am thinking that is the problem. I am seeing that there may be a plastic shear pin inside the shaft that needs to be broken. Do you know if this is true?
Old 11-11-2022, 07:08 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,201 Likes on 2,757 Posts

On my '68 the lower steering shaft bearing was in terrible shape/rusted to the steering shaft where it went thru the firewall. The inner race of the bearing was seized onto the steering shaft and would not allow the bottom part of the shaft to move/collapse.
I had to rremove the entire column assembly and replace the old bearing so everything would "co-operate".

Let's hope you don't have to remove the column...try spraying some rust penetrating fluid up into the area where the firewall mount is located.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:42 PM
Fatpig
Advanced

Originally Posted by doorgunner
On my '68 the lower steering shaft bearing was in terrible shape/rusted to the steering shaft where it went thru the firewall. The inner race of the bearing was seized onto the steering shaft and would not allow the bottom part of the shaft to move/collapse.
I had to rremove the entire column assembly and replace the old bearing so everything would "co-operate".

Let's hope you don't have to remove the column...try spraying some rust penetrating fluid up into the area where the firewall mount is located.
Wow what a terrible situation. I hope that's not the problem. I will take your advice on penetrant. I hit it once and will spray more tomorrow. Thanks for the good advice.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:47 PM
bobby70
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 70 tilt and tell when I took it apart someone welded the. 2 shaft together
Old 11-11-2022, 09:04 PM
Fatpig
Advanced

Originally Posted by bobby70
I have a 70 tilt and tell when I took it apart someone welded the. 2 shaft together
I have seen that has happened on rebuilt. I am hoping my oem is not welded. Yikes!!!!
Old 11-12-2022, 12:51 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

If only our Vette’s could talk, then they could tell us what has been done to them in the past!
Old 11-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Motorvation
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by How Are You
If only our Vette’s could talk, then they could tell us what has been done to them in the past!
Atrocities! My ‘71 has many. Not from me but previous “experts”. The ‘71 would say, “Thanks for returning my essence to some resemblance of proper Vette!” 🫣✌🏻

Steve O.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:24 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,716 Likes on 2,947 Posts

My 73 column collapsed when I separated the column and the steering box to remove the rag joint and I was just prying the two apart using a flat blade screwdriver.
I’ve read several threads where people had issues collapsing their column and needed to really pound on it to get it to collapse or like Doorgunner who had to remove it to get it done.

Ignatz is also correct by asking if it was already collapsed.
Its possible that the column was collapsed by a prior owner during a repair or replacement of the rag joint and the column was damaged, rusted or welded.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:38 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I pulled my column, supported the lower flange, and was able to collapse the column, but not before some errant hits damaged the splines, which needed to be repaired. I then replaced the lower column bushing.

Anyway, here's a recent cautionary tale of how not to do it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-borgeson.html
Old 11-13-2022, 10:59 AM
Fatpig
Advanced

Rcread was correct. I wasn't using a big enough hammer. I put wood over the shaft to protect the threads and then beat the hell out of it. About 5 or 6 solid hits and it started to move. Thanks to all that had suggestions for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column won't collapse

Quick Reply: Steering column won't collapse