C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 Wiper Switch/Column Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:29 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,300 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Grav1ty
Thank you for the video

Working on a customers car. First time dealing with this setup. My plastic cap was broken and the actuator was missing. Did not find a lot of information at first. But this thread kept showing up so I thought I'd add my findings.

My replacement switch was not drilled directly in the center. I wanted to leave a little more martial to work with. I drilled the the mount hole to 5/16 instead of 11/32. I then turned the bolt shoulder down to 5/16 using a file and drill chucked into a vise. Mated them together with some cutting compound. Cleaned and greased. Works great.

​​​​​​I'd like to add the dimmer actuator to the list of info. With mine all broken and missing, I had no idea what took up the gap

Little plastic black spacer between the dimmer lever and the dimmer rod. It rides a bump in the cover to actuate properly. (Grease helped keep it in place during install.)

Looks like the cover broke and spit out the actuator part. Never to be seen again. This has been broken for years.

​​​​​​

Wiring was spot on. Thank you again.
The gift that keeps on giving

Quick Reply: 1977 Wiper Switch/Column Alternatives