C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dim Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 05:40 AM
HYPR
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Dim Dash lights

Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?
I've had the instrument console out and cleaned all the bulbs but the dash lighting is still dim.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:49 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,699 Likes on 2,834 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

incandescent Bulbs grow dim with age. I found out the factory lighting bulbs in the speedo and tach are rated at 3.8W. I found suitable replacement bulbs in my local auto parts store rated at 4W. Dimming function works as it should. (Unlike expensive LED'S) Dash is so bright I have to turn it down.
Simple answer.
New bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
JavaJolt78 (09-23-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 09:35 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Yes, you need to clean the inside of the incandescent bulb to brighten it, which is impossible. However, the claim that LEDs cannot be dimmed is false.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle

$3- each for dimmable, warm LEDs. Just check the descriptions.
Dagious (09-25-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:24 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Just to be 100% sure, you made sure to raise the dimmer switch?

Aside from that - have you ensured the dimmer switch is producing variable voltage and is reaching the expect 12-14V when at full power?
Old 09-23-2022, 02:28 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 910 Likes on 792 Posts

HYPR
Since you axe'd....here is how I fixed my dim dash lamps: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-tach.html

Originally Posted by HYPR
Does anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?
I've had the instrument console out and cleaned all the bulbs but the dash lighting is still dim.
Old 09-23-2022, 08:44 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 852 Likes on 677 Posts

I replaced my bulbs with leds replacements from ebay back in 2012 and they all still work fine. dash is much brighter and I do have limited brightness control even though they are not dimmable leds per say. If they are too bright it messes up my night vision.
Bikespace (09-23-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 10:58 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Rerplaced my bulbs with LEDs when I was changing my stereo and also working on the console gauges. Much whiter light and just the right brightness. I intentionally chose non-dimmable, but you can buy dimmable LEDs.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:03 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 886 Likes on 635 Posts

I put in a cluster full of these on my 66.

https://www.ledlight.com/ba9s_2_5_wa...c_led_bulb.asp

They dim, but the dimming works a lot better if you keep a couple of incandescent in your lighting, maybe on the small gauges.

I put these in my clock.
Amazon Amazon

They dim perfectly without any other changes to the bulbs. They are incredibly bright I think Amazon sells these in a 10 pack for $40. They have em in warm white as well as a couple of colors

Old 09-26-2022, 01:09 PM
HYPR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Yes, you need to clean the inside of the incandescent bulb to brighten it, which is impossible. However, the claim that LEDs cannot be dimmed is false.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle

$3- each for dimmable, warm LEDs. Just check the descriptions.
Thank you everyone for your input. After reviewing everything and doing research based on all the suggestions here is what I have done. #1 ordered a new headlight switch since it is obvious that at 52 years old mine is done and for under $30 why hassle since dropping the cluster is such a PITA!, Next I took the advice and called SuperbrightLED and went with their brightest bulb the BA95S CWHP5, Now some coaching from the tech regarding the dimming, it will be limited which is fine. Next, the tech was very specific regarding polarity. He said that some cars are wired where it doesn't matter if the button is wired Positive or Negative. In this case the LEDs are Polarity sensitive and the button must be wired Positive and the can wired Negative. I hope this is the case. If not this is an easy fix since the instrument lighting is all wired in series and all that will be needed is to change it at the panel. I am fairly sure the car is wired as needed and I won't need to make a change.
Bikespace (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 01:28 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,460 Likes on 4,000 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

YOu never mentioned of rotating the headlight switch **** dimmed the bulbs or made them brighter
Old 09-26-2022, 03:01 PM
HYPR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
YOu never mentioned of rotating the headlight switch **** dimmed the bulbs or made them brighter
Yep, that was kinda a no brainer issue. I ran into the same problem on my '56 210 back in the day when building it 25 years ago. Similar problem, the dash lights would be either on or off and no variable. On that car since I was changing the gauges to VDOs the light bulbs were a mute point plus the gauges were Black print on a White face making them far easier to read. Additionally it is a Hardtop so no glare issue during the day or dusk to deal with. I know of one owner of a C3 who replaced all his gauges with Autometer gauges Black print on White face however I would like to maintain the stock look so I am staying with the stock gauges.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:46 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,460 Likes on 4,000 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

There is a small tin strap that grounds the switch to the speedometer and tachometer so you do have multiple spots that you could be losing or just have a very weak ground and its just back feeding through something else.

Im sure you thought of it but when you take off the dash i would verify all the grounds and ground wires
Old 09-26-2022, 08:52 PM
HYPR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
There is a small tin strap that grounds the switch to the speedometer and tachometer so you do have multiple spots that you could be losing or just have a very weak ground and its just back feeding through something else.

Im sure you thought of it but when you take off the dash i would verify all the grounds and ground wires
Yes, when I had the cluster out previously. However I will revisit it when I replace it just to be 100% positive. Thanks
Rescue Rogers (09-26-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Dim Dash lights

Quick Reply: Dim Dash lights