C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing seats and seatbelts with Dynamat

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 03:18 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Installing seats and seatbelts with Dynamat

I have searched the archives but couldn’t find an answer to my question. I am in the process of restoring the interior of my 68 convertible and I am at the point where I will be installing Dynamat. I have seen pictures of previous Dynamat/sound and heat insulation installations by Forum members but had a question regarding the installation of the seats and the seatbelt bracket underneath the seats.

Are the seat rails installed over the Dynamat or do people cut the Dynamat out and then mount the seat rails to the floor? Same question for the seatbelt bracket underneath the seat. Do people mount the seatbelt bracket on top of the Dynamat or do they cut out the Dynamat and mount the bracket directly to the floor without the Dynamat in between?

I know the rear of the seat rails are mounted over the carpet but I also have a concern that mounting the seats on top of the Dynamat will raise the seat height a little bit. And with new seat foam, etc., I don’t want the seats to be too high.

Thanks for any insight.

- Mike
Old 06-06-2022, 03:26 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

I plan to trim mine when I do it.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 397 Likes on 301 Posts

I didn't trim mine. I believe the Dyna Mat is only about 3/16" thick some it doesn't add much. I did the whole interior floor pan and behind the seats with Dyna Mat.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:12 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

Probably flattens out a bit when you tighten it too.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:24 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
I didn't trim mine. I believe the Dyna Mat is only about 3/16" thick some it doesn't add much. I did the whole interior floor pan and behind the seats with Dyna Mat.
same here.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:09 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. So it looks like it can work either way. Any ill effects that you’ve seen from mounting the seats over the Dynamat?
Old 06-06-2022, 08:03 PM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

You don't need to trim it, just get a couple of those thin pointy probe thingies from harbor freight, you'll need them. I used a rubber mallet to insure a good contact of the adhesive side to the fiberglass. Oh, and don't ware clothes that you don't want to throw away. If you haven't already bought the material, check out Amazon second chance, I needed a third box and got it for half the regular price.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:11 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dprinter1
You don't need to trim it, just get a couple of those thin pointy probe thingies from harbor freight, you'll need them. I used a rubber mallet to insure a good contact of the adhesive side to the fiberglass. Oh, and don't ware clothes that you don't want to throw away. If you haven't already bought the material, check out Amazon second chance, I needed a third box and got it for half the regular price.

My car was painted that exact same color when I bought it... (where the paint hadnt bubbled and peeled off anyway) I like it... British racing green I think.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:26 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

So dprinter1, you’re saying to use an awl or some other pointy tool to open up the holes in the floor pan where things bolt onto the floor and just mount everything over the Dynamat?
The following users liked this post:
interpon (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:04 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

When I did mine, I thought about the same thing. I am 6'5" and can't loose ANY room. I did not trim it in the end, The Dynamat compresses with the tightening of the bolts as mentioned, not worth trimming. BTW, it made a HUGE difference in the hot house torture chamber that was the passenger foot well according to my wife.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:36 AM
Kerschmolar
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts

Dynamat is a great sound deadener, but has a very low r-value. Dynaliner or reflectix are much better at keeping the heat out. Dynamat carries a weight penalty as well. It deadens sound by inhibiting the vibration of flat panels, so you don’t need to use it in a continuous layer over everything. Heat insulation is best achieved by a material with lots of internal deadened air space; think down blanket or fiber matting. Dynaliner is made to go over Dynamat for the best of both sound and heat insulation. The better heat insulators need to go around the seat attachments to not weaken them.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:17 PM
dprinter1
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BB68Vett
So dprinter1, you’re saying to use an awl or some other pointy tool to open up the holes in the floor pan where things bolt onto the floor and just mount everything over the Dynamat?
Yeah....it came handy, especially when I forgot that I had covered over stuff. As I went along, I did my best to use a utility knife and cut an X across the holes, then cut the remaining pieces off, but I did forget to cut some of them out.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:12 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 397 Likes on 301 Posts

Instead of hunting around for the bolt holes with a awl to find bolt holes just screw in the bolts as needed and then find the lumps once you lay down the Dyna Mat. Also on my C3 I added DEI insulation to the under side of the floor pan above the headers.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:03 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone. Excellent suggestions. I planned on using Dynaliner over the Dynamat on the floorboards, so that should help with the heat. I’ll begin the installation this weekend. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long. We’ll see. Doing it right is more important than speed at this point. No need to rush it.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:28 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerschmolar
Dynamat is a great sound deadener, but has a very low r-value. Dynaliner or reflectix are much better at keeping the heat out. Dynamat carries a weight penalty as well. It deadens sound by inhibiting the vibration of flat panels, so you don’t need to use it in a continuous layer over everything. Heat insulation is best achieved by a material with lots of internal deadened air space; think down blanket or fiber matting. Dynaliner is made to go over Dynamat for the best of both sound and heat insulation. The better heat insulators need to go around the seat attachments to not weaken them.
Exactly. I see people using a ton of Dynamat to keep heat out and that is not what it's meant for. Dynaliner for thermal insulation / blocking. Dynamat is for sound/vibration and adds weight.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:41 PM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Kerschmolar
Sorry, I use Dynamat interchangeably like every soda is a Coke and every tissue a Kleenex. I need to be more careful with that. THANKS!
Old 06-09-2022, 06:37 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I trimmed mine. I've read (on this Forum) that even Dynamat doesn't expect you to do 100% coverage. The butyl rubber stuff (Dynamat, Hushmat, and others), dampen vibrations, and don't need to cover every inch with heavy goop. Certainly not where you are bolting down a seat.

I have about 80% Hushmat coverage in my 79, and 40% in my 80, and then 90% Reflectrix on top of both. In my 80 in particular, I can't hear any road noise over the sidepipes.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing seats and seatbelts with Dynamat

Old 06-09-2022, 10:44 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Did you guys by the kit or just rolls?
Old 06-09-2022, 11:22 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

I used the generic stuff from ebay myself and did the whole interior minus the where the compartments are in the back... still have a bunch left over too. mine is foil faced too not sprayed black... not sure how much effect that realistically has on heat rejection but..
Old 06-13-2022, 07:52 AM
JV2
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It's amazing how much difference a few 16ths makes when you're trying to get holes to line up. Cut around the holes. It'll be fine. Even Dynamat says so. They say "minimum 30% coverage".

Quick Reply: Installing seats and seatbelts with Dynamat