C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L48 Top end upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:35 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
Hello All,

I'm in the middle of this upgrade and just realized that I messed up. Not sure how I did it but I ordered Brodix heads 158-1021005 roller cam heads (https://www.jegs.com/i/Brodix/158/1021005/10002/-1) instead of what I meant to order the 158-1021004 with is setup for flat tappet.

I was torqueing down the heads and saw the tag on the heads that indicated hydralic roller not flat tappet so luckily I saw it before completing assemby. Unfortunately I had already put in the flat tappet cam and lifters in so I'm hoping that with a good cleaning I can return them to Jegs.

The issue I have now is that I need a roller cam that will work with this combo.

The flat tappet I was planning on using was Xtreme Energy 268H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifter Kit Lift: .477" /.480" Duration: 268°/280° RPM Range: 1600-5800
So I'm thinking something similar in a roller cam.

Hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks
Nice "accident". Too bad you discovered it a bit late, but what a great way to get spousal approval for a roller cam upgrade.
Old 04-23-2022, 09:48 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Nice "accident". Too bad you discovered it a bit late, but what a great way to get spousal approval for a roller cam upgrade.
She's not very happy with me. Looks like best case scenario if I can return the flat tappet cam kit the new roller will be at leat another $400.

In the doghouse!!!
Old 04-24-2022, 01:10 PM
Stormin_Normin
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

Something around comp xr270hr, I would stay 218->224 intake duration. Some 1.6 ratio rockers wouldn't hurt with those heads and get the lift closer to .550.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:12 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Originally Posted by Stormin_Normin
Something around comp xr270hr, I would stay 218->224 intake duration. Some 1.6 ratio rockers wouldn't hurt with those heads and get the lift closer to .550.
Thank you Stormin Normin!
Old 05-10-2022, 06:03 PM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I got lost…
what is the final recipe here? Components, cost, HP?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:30 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceptor
I got lost…
The jist I see is someone bought heads with $150 of springs setup for a roller cam and instead of swapping the springs for weaker 99 dollar beehives for the flat tappet they used it for an excuse to upgrade to a better roller cam and lifters. The final cost, components and HP can only be determined when its said and done...

OP as someone who went from a 262/268 version of the flat tappet voodoo cam to the xr270hr cam, It was worth it... I did buy my retro roller lifters from rock auto myself which saved me like $300 vs buying them elsewhere but I see the cam literally increased $100 in cost since last spring as well... They were available from multiple places for $285 shipped last year. that along with $130 for the lifters, $20 for the cam button assy, $12 for the brass tipped fuel pushrod and about $50 for the howards hardened shorter pushrods after measuring with my $14 tool from amazon and I was all set. I already had the springs which came stock on my old dart heads before I previously swapped them for weaker flat tappet single springs.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-10-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:19 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Well I did just replace the springs. I called comp cams and they suggested I remove the center spring and do break in with just the outer spring to ensure the cam is broken in correctly. The springs that came with the heads were ther CC 287 and have open pressure of about 325lb which comp cams said wouldn't be an issue with the 268H flat tappet cam once it's broken in. I fired it up today but have open headers so it didn't really run great. I have appt tomorrow mornig to get headers connected to pipes at local shop since I don't weld. Hoping I'll ba able to tunes once exhaust is setup. I plan on running the single spring for 100 milts then adding back in center spring.
The following users liked this post:
augiedoggy (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:33 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I was going to actually suggest earlier just leaving the center springs out since the out springs are already stiffer than what you would buy for a flat tappet setup.

I really hope you ran the complete full proper rpms break in procedure and didnt just fire it up and run it in short increments? I'm told that can increase chances of improper breakin.

At least your not in the doghouse right?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:42 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Originally Posted by Ceptor
I got lost…
I finished installing IK180 heads, 268H CC flat tappet cam, 2101 intake manifold, timing chian and gear, long tube headers, and 1.6 roller tip rockers. I''ve probalbly spent about $2100 total. Not sure about HP since I still haven't connected exhaust to headers and I'm running some weak springs just to break in the CAM. I'm doing exhause tomorrow and will install correct springs some time next week. Hoping for just under 400HP at the crank.
The following users liked this post:
Ceptor (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 08:28 AM
joserpaq
Racer

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
I was going to actually suggest earlier just leaving the center springs out since the out springs are already stiffer than what you would buy for a flat tappet setup.

I really hope you ran the complete full proper rpms break in procedure and didnt just fire it up and run it in short increments? I'm told that can increase chances of improper breakin.

At least your not in the doghouse right?
I did do a 20min break in with the right high zinc break oil at 2000 rpm. With open headers. My wife is working from home and was on the phone when i started. This thing is loud.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:07 AM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Old 05-11-2022, 12:32 PM
joserpaq
Racer

The exhaust is now complete so no more open headers. The car runs great even with the single spring that I removed as mentioned before. Although I still haven't really pushed it feels like it lost some low end torque but more that makes up for it above 3000RPM. Feels like it would keep pushing up power beyond 5k RPM although I'm taking it easy for the 1st 100 miles. I plan on adding back center spring after the 100 miles as well. That should help at higher RPM.

The only issue I have is a bad oil leak in the front of the oil pan. I installed new timing cover by only loosening the pan and I have a leak on passenger side of the pan where it meets up with timing cover. I cleaned and use some sealent so hopefully that will work. Otherwise I'll have to take pan all the way down which is a major pain.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:51 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by joserpaq
The exhaust is now complete so no more open headers. The car runs great even with the single spring that I removed as mentioned before. Although I still haven't really pushed it feels like it lost some low end torque but more that makes up for it above 3000RPM. Feels like it would keep pushing up power beyond 5k RPM although I'm taking it easy for the 1st 100 miles. I plan on adding back center spring after the 100 miles as well. That should help at higher RPM.

The only issue I have is a bad oil leak in the front of the oil pan. I installed new timing cover by only loosening the pan and I have a leak on passenger side of the pan where it meets up with timing cover. I cleaned and use some sealent so hopefully that will work. Otherwise I'll have to take pan all the way down which is a major pain.
If you end up having to remove the oil pan, this one-piece oil pan gasket from Fel-Pro is the bee's knees.

1980 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Fel-Pro OS34510T Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gaskets | Summit Racing

Might as well replace the rear main seal while you're in there, too.

Scotty

Old 05-11-2022, 02:01 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Originally Posted by scottyp99
If you end up having to remove the oil pan, this one-piece oil pan gasket from Fel-Pro is the bee's knees.

1980 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Fel-Pro OS34510T Fel-Pro Oil Pan Gaskets | Summit Racing

Might as well replace the rear main seal while you're in there, too.

Scotty
Thank you!

Quick Reply: L48 Top end upgrade