C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Basic Interior Trim Paint Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 12:47 AM
roamin' around
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Very Basic Interior Trim Paint Questions

So I have my interior semi-apart as I continue searching for my battery drain, wondering how I can refinish the black paint in the interior parts as you can see in the pictures. My very basic questions (this is my first time repainting car trim):
  • Do you need to strip off existing paint, if so, what's the process/product recommended to do this?
  • How do you clean the parts beforehand, do you use just rubbing alcohol?
  • Do people do spray paint or paint on with a brush? Do you need any kind of primer?
From my search on the forum, people like a few different paints (Krylon 1613 semi-flat black, Dupli-Color "satin black", John Deere Blitz black, SEM 39143 Trim Black, Rustoleum Satin Canyon black). I'm planning on trying the Rustoleum Satin Canyon black since it is relatively affordable and available locally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

peeling paint

paint around air vents is peeling

Popular Reply

02-04-2022, 08:16 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,220 Likes on 762 Posts

I found this Rust-Oleum product to be a perfect match to the original sheen. It is a primer and paint so it is a one step application.

I stripped off all the original paint, then cleaned with lacquer thinner, scuffed with a grey Scotchbrite pad, taped and sprayed 3 light coats, about 10 minutes between coats.

Take your time and be sure to get into the corners to clean every surface to ensure good adhesion.

53 years of use

Stripped, cleaned, scuffed, taped.

The best match (and I’ve tried several others)

Ready for another 53 years!
Old 02-04-2022, 08:16 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

I found this Rust-Oleum product to be a perfect match to the original sheen. It is a primer and paint so it is a one step application.

I stripped off all the original paint, then cleaned with lacquer thinner, scuffed with a grey Scotchbrite pad, taped and sprayed 3 light coats, about 10 minutes between coats.

Take your time and be sure to get into the corners to clean every surface to ensure good adhesion.

53 years of use

The following 6 users liked this post by 69L88:
'73and'75 (02-04-2022), debueller (02-04-2022), Go Vette Go (02-04-2022), interpon (02-04-2022), roamin' around (02-04-2022), RU7376vettes (02-04-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:54 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow - nice job on the thin blue taping! And nice results.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:13 AM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 728 Likes on 444 Posts

I did my center panel. Instead of tape on the thin lines, I painted them and then used a razor blade to shave off the excess.
The following 2 users liked this post by kodpkd:
67:72 (02-04-2022), Boomer880 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 10:20 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

I have been doing the same thing on my C3 and it is not the easiest to have it coming out looking like "new". The 1968 has Crossed Flags on the shifter plate and they are hard to clean up and re-paint properly. You can actually buy a new pre-painted emblem if you choose to, I wanted to use the original from the Corvette so I stripped it and re-painted it.

I used a sand blasting system with baking Soda to blast the surface's clean. This doesn't affect the chrome on the material. I have painted mine already and stripped it again as I was not 100% happy with the results.

Having a large TP Tools Sand Blasting Cabinet is a very handy thing when you have an older Corvette. I routinely clean parts that have been removed from the car for any reason and re-paint them before re-installing them. If I don't paint them I can "powder coat" them or "plate" them in another material. Bright Nickel is a much harder finish than Chrome and less likely to corrode. I have done several pieces of trim in Bright Nickel and nobody has been able to point them out. Bright nickel plating adds a Bluish tint to the finish that Chrome doesn't but to a color blind individual I can't tell the difference. I can fix damaged Chrome parts by smoothing it and then putting copper layers down to smooth out the surface again. After a few layers of copper I can make it look like new Chrome. Caswell is the company that sells me the plating equipment. They also have kits to Anodize the Aluminumvirtually any color you want it.

Cleaning off the excess paint on the chrome parts is a bit of a challenge, take your time with a single edge razor blade and don't push hard when doing it. You want to scrape the paint off the chrome areas and not damage the chrome if possible.

The center console on your C3 has bumps on it if it is not from a 1968. Those bumps would make blasting the only way to get all the paint off the surface. My 1968 has no bumps and is much easier since it is smooth. Another one of those one year only items on the 1968...

Before painting the part be sure it is cleaned with something to ensure a good adhesion between the metal and paint. I use something called "PRE" from Eastwood company as the last cleaner I spray on the surface.

Has anyone thought about trying to powder coat the parts and see how that might work? Powder coating is so much harder to damage and scratch. Powder coating would seal the metal and keep it from oxidizing at least.
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:31 PM
roamin' around
Racer

Thanks for all the details with the pictures too 69L88, that black really did come out well. I'll switch to the flat rustoleum instead of satin and follow those directions when I repaint these interior pieces. May be several weeks, need to fix tachometer, speedometer, and a few other electrical items.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:04 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by roamin' around
Thanks for all the details with the pictures too 69L88, that black really did come out well. I'll switch to the flat rustoleum instead of satin and follow those directions when I repaint these interior pieces. May be several weeks, need to fix tachometer, speedometer, and a few other electrical items.
SEM Trim Black is a well-respected reproduction of the factory sheen. I used it and think the outcome is perfect. Do a search on it and you'll see a number of posts in favor of it.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:51 PM
boat196
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 134 Posts

I choose to use hot rod black, it’s catalyst paint, I like the sheen, and the durability.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:46 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Originally Posted by boat196
I choose to use hot rod black, it’s catalyst paint, I like the sheen, and the durability.
How did you spray it onto the trim parts?
Old 02-04-2022, 06:57 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-CYa
How did you spray it onto the trim parts?
If they don't sell an aerosol version, like the Trim Black, you'd need a spray gun and compressor. A small detail/touch-up gun would more than be up to the task and will operate fine off a small compressor.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:36 PM
roamin' around
Racer

Originally Posted by 69L88

53 years of use

I forgot to ask, how did you strip the paint / using which product/solvent?
Old 02-05-2022, 08:38 PM
stevedinino
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

That Rustoleum Satin Cayon Black is the ****. I did all the plastic interior trim in my beater Colorado pickup, and they’re by far the nicest parts of the truck.

It’s also on lots of engine compartment bits in my C3 and looks great. Affordable, easy to apply and looks awesome. No complaints.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:47 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Truth be told, I had a small quantity of methylene chloride stripper in a spray can but you can’t buy that anymore.

Most strippers today aren’t worth a damn but I’d head down to your local hardware store and see what they have. The good news is that the paint you are removing isn’t adhered to the parts all that well.

Just take your time and don’t rush it.
The following users liked this post:
roamin' around (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 04:46 PM
ajchance
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Great tips already. I got into trouble on the parts that had smooth surfaces on my 71. Would get fish eye defects in the paint even when I would use degreaser and primer/paint combos. Someone mentioned that using a true primer would fix the problem and that was indeed the case. Would have saved me several attempts if I would have just cleaned, degreased, primed and painted once.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Basic Interior Trim Paint Questions

Quick Reply: Very Basic Interior Trim Paint Questions