C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well should my windows seal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:45 PM
tknospdr
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
Default How well should my windows seal?

I replied to another thread about windows here, but thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread in case my question got lost at the bottom of the other one.

I just got a new top and all new weatherstripping installed on my 71 vert.
From what I understand there's either 7 or 9 points of articulation on the windows to make them fit correctly, is that right?
I asked the shop to make sure they seated the windows to the new fitment, but this is what I got back. Anyone have any suggestions?
I can't even roll up the passenger side all the way when the door is closed cause it's hitting resistance so bad.
As far as I know, the glass is original.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,207 Likes on 2,759 Posts

That's...........bad! Even though it's a pain to get convertible window glass just right, when you pay someone they SHOULD get it right. That doesn't look as though the windows were adjusted at all.

For example...I bought a 1969 Camaro convertible off the showroom floor and it was 3 years old before the weatherstrip developed a small drip.

Do you have a year-specific manual like the example below...it could help you (and someone who has adjusted windows before) adjust the windows much better so that they would not leak in a rainstorm.

Wait for expert members to give you more advice.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:37 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Did your windows fit before you got the top or were you counting on the upholstery shop to align your windows? I went through the same thing, the shop didn't know what they were doing to align a window. Mine were not as bad as yours but close. I finally fixed it myself, you have to remove the door panel and it is a pain in the butt to get back on. The tops are all pre-sewn and the windows and weather stripping should be aligned before the top is installed.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:13 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,560 Likes on 2,756 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That is really bad! Yes I can align them. But I'm in Australia. The factory service manual has very good instructions on how to align these. Perhaps take it back to them and let them know your not satisfied.
The following users liked this post:
RU7376vettes (10-14-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:55 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the same issue and worked on it for hours until it got better but still not great. I can raise windows all the way with door open and then shut the door with a decent seal but if I try to raise window with door closed I'll have a 3/4 inch gap when windows stop. I followed guides but that's as good as I could get it.
RU7376vettes (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:56 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joserpaq
I had the same issue and worked on it for hours until it got better but still not great. I can raise windows all the way with door open and then shut the door with a decent seal but if I try to raise window with door closed I'll have a 3/4 inch gap when windows stop. I followed guides but that's as good as I could get it.
It's definitely a learning experience adjusting windows. Sometimes you have to walk away and get your thoughts together....even if it takes a week. One window may adjust perfectly...then the other window "acts 'a fool" and fights you the whole time.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:57 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

The best recommendation for alignment employs a glass suction cup attached to the window, then loosen all adjusters, and have helper use suction cup to maneuver window into correct alignment. Once window is correctly aligned, tighten all adjuster points. You will need a helper to hold the glass suction cup. On my 73 convertible, I had to put pieces of thin rubber material under the rear top weather stripping because the window would not go up high enough. The material is sold at Michales in 8x11 sheets, you can cut to fit where it’s needed.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:28 AM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

You also need to find exactly what bolts do what, after you get the door panels off. There are lots of them. Up/down, in/out, forwards/backwards, etc. I would recommend doing research and do one direction at a time. Don't close the door unless you are sure it isn't going to bind. You really don't want to break your window.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:31 PM
'73and'75
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 415 Likes on 213 Posts

Yes tknospdr there are specific bolts (points of articulation)which, when loosened/relocated/tightened perform specific adjustments, as kodpdk mentioned. However, AIM is your friend, and a detailed procedure is listed. Following the AIM instructions step by step and adjusting the specific items you can make the glass fit perfect. Yes, it is a tedious procedure, but with your patience and understanding of the process ahead of time you can adjust your glass properly. You will also be adjusting your soft top weatherstripping. Hopefully they did not glue it to the soft top frame.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Top PDF.pdf (217.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-15-2021, 12:56 PM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

Do your research, you will need lots o beer.
Hunt4Fun (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 08:34 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Damn,
I remember when the insurance company replaced a broken drivers glass on my eighty one with a 68 glass.
Bent the molding all to hell and ruined most of the hardware in the door.
The 68 glass was thicker and curved wrong.
Nice piece but wrong.
I found a glass close to the proper date but it is wrong.
I had a hell of a time repairing all the stuff to install the proper thin glass.
dates matter.

jhudec (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:29 PM
tknospdr
Racer

I had the shop do a bunch of stuff but my main request was to make it weatherproof.
I guess I need to take it back and ask them to fix it.
I would assume they could cover it somewhere in the $3300 I paid in labor.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:24 PM
tknospdr
Racer

People tell me I sometimes come across as rude when I'm not trying to be. Here's the text I'm going to send to my mechanic Monday morning. Please let me know if anything should be edited.

Hey Stan, got a couple of issues I wanted to run past you to see how you wanted to handle them.

1. Driver side sun visor droops, both stayed up on their own prior to drop off.
2. Steering wheel not centered - I’ll have Big Franks look at it.
3. There are 2 blemishes on drivers side, and one deep chip on front near drivers headlight that were not present at drop off.
4. There are some scraping sounds coming from wheel wells when turning, not present before drop off.
5. We had discussed correcting the wiring on the radio, doesn’t look like it was done.
6. Discussed fixing fibre optics, not sure if that was done, haven’t driven at night yet.

And the big one.

It doesn’t look like the windows were adjusted to the new weatherstripping.
The main reason for bringing it in was to make it as weatherproof as possible.
There are large gaps when windows are up, and I can’t roll them up with doors closed due to binding.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

It sounds well-written to me.
Try to get a fixed day that the car will be completed....and that there will be NO labor charges.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:57 PM
joserpaq
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with that response as well. $3300 is alot of labor and it should be perfect. If they can't do it they should have passed on the project up front.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:04 PM
tknospdr
Racer

Alright, I'll send tomorrow morning when they're open. Will update thread with response.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:18 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Did you pay by cc? Amex and others are pretty good at disputes if it comes to that

Get notified of new replies

To How well should my windows seal?

Old 10-18-2021, 02:54 PM
tknospdr
Racer

Paid by cash to avoid some... stuff, you know.

He said he thought that the guy he farmed the top install out to adjusted the windows, not sure why he didn't check them, but I guess that goes back on me too. I should have checked them before I picked it up. After 4 months I was just too excited to drive off with her.
He's gonna schedule some time to get her in and out quickly. He's also going to touch up the chip on the front.
He didn't mention the visor or rubbing but I'm going to get something in writing before I drop it off.
interpon (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Those visors can stay in position for decades, then th screw loosens and the smallestmovement causes them to droop.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:26 PM
tknospdr
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Those visors can stay in position for decades, then th screw loosens and the smallestmovement causes them to droop.
They replaced the trim up top. I used them pretty much every day before I dropped it off.
The new trim piece just has its hole routed out so the screw just wiggles in place.

Quick Reply: How well should my windows seal?