C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls swap power steering pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 02:03 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ls swap power steering pulley question

Been reading a lot (most swap threads are couple years old) and think this will work but I thought I’d post for confirmation.

71 with Ls7, t56 magnum & corvette spacing. I have Ridetech front control arms.

Want to use the Holley high mount accessory kit with a smaller power steering pump pulley. I made a cardboard template and it looks like if I reverse the cross shaft bolts, I will have at least 3/4” clearance with some shims in place?

Just wondering if anyone has this combo and is happy with it?

Thanks,

joe
Old 09-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 731 Likes on 409 Posts

I've never run that setup before, so I can't help there. I've run into a few other small things though putting an LS in a C3.

What oil pan are you running? I went with a GM muscle car pan, and it doesn't fit worth a damn. It hits the center link. I have an 98-02 F body pan that looks like it'll clear no problem, but haven't test fit it yet.

I also ran into issues with the heater hose outlets on the water pump hitting the passenger control arm. I ended up putting pipe plugs in the factory outlets, and drilled and tapped two barbed fittings on the upper part of the water pump to clear everything.

Old 09-26-2021, 02:32 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Thanks, engine came with f-body pan fits great. Also using borgeson box.

Understand the water pump mods needed as well.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:39 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by JOZW30

I have the holley high mount. I started out with stock control arms and flipped bolt. Tried a few other pulleys some guys were using and others I find. Each was slightly different but none worked well with alignment of pulleys. Went with dirty dingo smaller ps pump pulley. the water pump side I plugged and drilled/tap for fittings to heater core.

ps pump clearances

one of the auto store pulleys.

dirty dingo pulley

Old 09-27-2021, 02:22 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Been reading a lot (most swap threads are couple years old) and think this will work but I thought I’d post for confirmation.

71 with Ls7, t56 magnum & corvette spacing. I have Ridetech front control arms.

Want to use the Holley high mount accessory kit with a smaller power steering pump pulley. I made a cardboard template and it looks like if I reverse the cross shaft bolts, I will have at least 3/4” clearance with some shims in place?

Just wondering if anyone has this combo and is happy with it?

Thanks,

joe
Here is my LS3 Swap. Similar Idea but I have SPC arms with no shims. ( arms are adjustable ). Also used a turn-one PS Pump with smaller pulley. Heater hoses cleared the SPC Arms so no mod's to the water pump.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...completed.html

Old 09-27-2021, 09:35 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Here is my LS3 Swap. Similar Idea but I have SPC arms with no shims. ( arms are adjustable ). Also used a turn-one PS Pump with smaller pulley. Heater hoses cleared the SPC Arms so no mod's to the water pump.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...completed.html
I also went the SPC route for the extra clearance and no shims. Worked out great and made alignment a breeze.

But I took it one step further and got rid of the belt driven PS pump and went to an electric pump from a Volvo.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:38 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Stumbled on this setup which I think solves all of the PS fitment issues and is pretty inexpensive compared to the fancy billet stuff. Per the dimensions I got from Lokar for the PS pulley, the std pulley diameter leaves 2” of clearance to the end of the cross shaft bolt (measuring my Ridetech arm which uses the stock upper bolt).

It also includes a billet remote PS reservoir that I’m hoping I can add a second return fitting to for my hydroboost (not fond of putting a tee in the hose).

I have no problem switching from the corvette spacing to the f-body/GTO. Water pump and pulley are pretty cheap.

https://www.lsclassic.com/accessory-...tioning-f-body

Old 09-29-2021, 03:41 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Default PS pulley location with Lokar F-body brackets

Here is the quick mock-up I did.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:35 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Stumbled on this setup which I think solves all of the PS fitment issues and is pretty inexpensive compared to the fancy billet stuff. Per the dimensions I got from Lokar for the PS pulley, the std pulley diameter leaves 2” of clearance to the end of the cross shaft bolt (measuring my Ridetech arm which uses the stock upper bolt).

It also includes a billet remote PS reservoir that I’m hoping I can add a second return fitting to for my hydroboost (not fond of putting a tee in the hose).

I have no problem switching from the corvette spacing to the f-body/GTO. Water pump and pulley are pretty cheap.

https://www.lsclassic.com/accessory-...tioning-f-body
I didn't take this path changing to f-body/ GTO didn't what to replace the harmonic balancer to f-body/GTO on the new GM Crate motor.
Anything that moves the pully system further from the block allows more room to move the accessories to the center of the block. Leaves less room for cold air intake system / options in some cases.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 09-29-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ls swap power steering pulley question

Quick Reply: Ls swap power steering pulley question